• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)

Rick

Thanks for the info guys! Hey Jonny did you see how much you can pick up an lx-5 for right now?

When I called Buddy for a pull he said that he was "on the way". I asked how did you know I was stuck there. His response was, "I saw you do it, I was watching because I tried it yesterday with my truck. But I made it about 10 feet further." grin

too funny, only a true friend would do that.

A couple years when Buddy sank his 2nd truck of the year we were standing there looking down the hole at the dim shape of his truck and Buddy was still dripping from swimming out of that hole. I thought about it but had to ask. "Buddy, it's been a tough year. The ice is bad, the fishing isn't that great and we can not find any good numbers of crappies. Did you see any crappies when you were down there?" grin

whats the current ice report/fishing report. I just returned from a great vacation with the girl and then it ended by northwest airlines totally wrecking the trip by not having anyone to unplug the toilet from the prior flight so we had to stay over. it took 24 hours to get home from Florida. I NEED A GREAT DAY ON THE ICE TO GET ME BACK TO REALITY. PLEASE GIVE ME ANY INFO YOU HAVE.

Anyone still out there driving or not...I heard someone say they were going to be driving out on Friday... confused

Well I'm not driving an auto on the ice anymore this season. Wheelers and sleds would be a safe bet.

• 1 month later...

Fished URL on Sunday May 24. We hammered them and so did everyone else on the lake. It didn't matter what you threw at them, live shiner, live fathead, or dead shiner or dead fathead. We caught 2 or 3 fish per minnow. Mainly because we worried about running out of minnows. ORANGE/CHartruse was the best color in the morning going to orange in the afternoon. I don't really know if it made a diff, but I do know that they were not hitting a lime green/ chart for us anyway but maybe it worked for someone else. We fished in 3-9 FOW on the break on the east side of the lake where we were all lined up on the contour line. 4 of us boated close to 100 fish in 8 hours.

• 1 month later...

We did great outside Mort's last night and this morning. Last night it was very calm and the walleyes we caught were in anywhere from 4 to 8 fow. Very spread out and no solid doubles, so you can definitely tell the eyes were mostly in deep water structures on Friday during the day.

This morning (Saturday), we were the first boat on the water around Mort's Dock at 8:10am or so. We had our limit before 9:30am with three people in the boat. The bite was alot better than Friday night. We used bright jigs with leeches. I would really recommend something bright (green, yellow, or a combination) because the water is still pretty murky. I was using leeches to start out this morning, and the other 2 people in the boat both were using minnows. I had 5 fish in the boat with leeches before either of them had caught a fish.

When the walleyes were hitting minnows on Friday, it didn't seem to matter if you had on a shiner or a chub, but live minnows seemed to work a little better if you weren't jigging constantly.

Also, only one walleye was caught on a Shad this weekend. I had two walleyes follow the shad up to the boat, and only one strike.

Best of luck everyone! Don't get tricked into the aluminum magnet by Tamarack River, stay at Mort's and fish right out infront of Mort's while you can. My guess is about another 3-5 days of decent fishing in shallow.

Well son that is pretty accurate. But you didn't have to rub it in about the leeches this morning.

Pat, Im happy to here you stayed at Morts and had good fishing. I fell and injured my knee so i had to leave for a while (wasnt drinking) anyway was nice to here from you. Stub

I went to school with him a long,long,long time ago!!

Ask him if he knows who the pikeslayer is the next time you talk to him!

I saw him today at L-M in the plumbing department! Actually I went to school with Bobby,Pat just tagged along!!

I am supposed to go up to Red Lake tomorrow morning with a buddy. Fish till Thursday afternoon. After reading Johnny P's post, wondering if any anglers have an update on how they did ths past weekend. I usually don't really care if there is a hot bite or not, just love to be on the water but in this case we are on a limited budget and it kinda gotta be worth the cost of the trip. If anybody could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated.

Anglers have been doing better and better each day. Personaly I have been laid up for the last week but I have been talking with all the guys coming off the lake and it is getting better. Trolling Raps in six feet of water and pulling them behind downriggers in twelebe to fouteen is working well as is live bait rigs in 8-9 feet of water. Some of the more defined structure is producing smaller fish with the guys hitting open water and breaking off away from the groups are finding bigger walleye and some HUGE pike.

Thanks Jonny. We will be up and fishing tomorrow and I will stop by and let you know how we did.

We fished Fri thru Sun slow but when we found them we did well. Had to move around alot. We caught most of our fish with hammered gold and a leech. The best luck was 7 to 9 foot of water over btwn the birdhouses.

I heard you were taking a little vacation! How is the healing process going? Shae and I were up last Thursday. We boated about 25 walleye's and a few sheephead, so we were pleased with our day. We kept a few fish for dinner. We fished structure away from the other boats.I called your dad while we were loading our boat, but he must have been on the tractor. I'll catch you next time.

Shoulda called as I was most likely just bumming around anyways. A guy can only watch so many movies or read so many fishing articles before you go crazy.

I would have called, but I didn't want to interrupt your recovery. I'll look you up next time I am up. What is the fall fishing like on Red? That would be a fun trip....walleyes, pike, grouse and ducks.

I would have called, but I didn't want to interrupt your recovery.

Ya because once you start the Mad Max trilogy you just can't stop the movie. laugh

Ya that is going to start becoming a larger trend. Bigger walleye, pike with the feed bags on along with grouse/duck/goose hnting.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ever try leadcore up there for some conour trolling Jonny. It was putting plenty of fish in the boat for us on a lake with tight contours a little more than an hour south of you.

Just got back from a day and a half fishing trip on URL. Weather was great and the fishing wasant bad at all. Half day on Tuesday we boated 30 pulling blades in 7-10 feet of water. On wednesday it seems to have slowed down a bit but we still caught 20 some doing the same things. Thanks for the pointers from the guys that posted.

• 2 weeks later...

My first request for help. My gf and I will be on Red 7/31-8/4. We did well early June, but now that summer's in full swing, I know that fishing can slow a bit. Any advice anyone has on where walleye, crappie and northern might hang out this time of year would be appreciated. I'm not proud... you can even suggest what kind of tackle too! I've been checking as many fishing reports as I can find, but haven't seen anything more recent than a couple weeks ago. Thanks!

• The title was changed to 2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)