• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Raider4ever

Open Water Fishing NE of Cotton

Raider4ever

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone one fished that string of lakes NE of Cotton? They are: East Bass, West Bass, Wilson, Berg, and Dinham Lakes. I live in Duluth and these lakes are not that far away. I don't need GPS spots or anything. I'm just wondering about species and public access.

Thanks,

Paul

gritsnham

I would search those lakes on the DNR website or spend some money and by a St. Louis county map book with all the lake maps, access and species caught. It will help you plan where you want to fish and give you an idea of the body of water you are fishing. The DNR maps are free on their website

fishwater

I'm just wondering about species and public access.

I grew up on Comstock lake just east of those lake. 15 years ago we used to catch crappie on Wilson and Dinham. Comstock used to be good for some walleye. Used to do real well on lower Hart for crappie and panfish too, but I think lake succession has taken it's toll on that one. I haven't fished any of them in years...

Raider4ever

Yeah, I checked out the DNR site. Their reports were either non-existent or over 10 years old. Looking over the available maps, none of those lakes thrilled me either. I just posted to see if anyone had some reports not from the '90's.

I planned on hitting GM to pick up a St. Louis County book as well as a GR/Bemidji (my daughter is off to BSU next fall) anyway. Did you know that BSU has a boat landing ON CAMPUS!?!?! I told her she can bring all that will fit in the 17.5 Crestliner "trailer".

My plan is: drop her off, get her set up, then "hang around" town for a day or two in case she needs anything. We were up there last summer for a visit. We went into the tall dorm building, I looked out the window and there was a sweet bulrush point straight out the window. I told my daughter if she needs to find me, that's where I'll be.

Thanks everyone for your input. I love this site.

Paul

gritsnham

Thats a good point you should find something out there!! It was productive this winter already for me a few weeks back

Surface Tension

The Sportsman's Connection map/books have those lakes in it with a brief description on each lake. While you can get a lot of that info from the DNR site, the SC book has a little more info plus you can take it with you.

At home I'll use the DNR Lake Finder. Of coarse the maps and location of accesses if any are useful and even though some surveys are old they still give me an idea of what species are in the lake. To accompany the DNR site I use a USGS map program(Terrain Navigator)to browse over areas, plan routes, fishing spots, plus use that same program to download GPS coordinates. The combination of above data gives me a good head start not to mention hours of fun just looking over the maps and surveys. I'll take all that and hit those sleeper lakes that get very little pressure. A favorite is late winter pannies on new water with that anticipation of the unknown. A run & gun approach on the water and back on the road if need be. I'll have the maps and notes with me.

Down Deep

St. Louis County publishes a map of lakes with all public access and locatations of the access shown. Over time some of the accesses have been oblierated, but they still are open to the public. The DNR can help with any questions about access.

I've ice fished some of those lakes with tepid results, but in the summer they are good panfish & bass lakes.

Raider4ever

Thanks all,

I was just looking at the book and there are quite a few lakes just off 53 between DLH and Virginia. I figured they all were pretty much pannie, bass, and northern lakes. I was just thinking about places for a quick day trip.

Thanks again,

Paul