• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

jiggin rods

icehole10

Looking for a little advice on what a guy should look for when purchasing a rod for jiggin. I usually troll lindys and have been wanting to get into this method of fishing for some time now. I'm not really loyal any particular brands, so any advice is appeciated. I suppose I should say that I only target walleyes. Thanks

Like you, I used to do most of my walleye fishing by running live bait rigs (lindy rigs) and trolling cranks. While I've always some vertical jigging, over the last 4-5 years I began vertical jigging a LOT more. Hands down, the vertical jigging rod I like best is the Jason Mitchell JMSS59MXF. It's very fast action and I like the way the rod is weighed tip heavy. The tip heavy weight makes the jigging action better.

Pair the rod up with a Shimano Sedona reel and you have a killer combo.

I'm thinking I'd like a great rod. My budget for the rod alone would be between 100.00 and 150.00.

I'm not a walleye expert, but on the lower end of your budget - a Shimano Compre ML 6-6'6" ($100)has done very well for me and it comes with a lifetime warrenty. Middle of your budget - You may want to consider a Shimano Crucial ($140) or my favorite a Fenwick HMG L-ML ($120).

IMO if you are on lakes that you expect to get into better concentrations of of bigger fish ... I really like my St Croix Avid Medium with an Extra Fast tip (top end of your budget $160+). Has enough power to fight the big bite, with a nice soft tip for detecting the light bite. I use this on the Mississippi, and the extra power is awesome when you hook up some of the pigs hanging out on the wingdams.

All the rods above are lifetime warrentied.

Lots of guys on this site really like the Limit Creek rods, but I don't have any experience with them. Sounds like they are a pretty good value.

Hands down I use Limit Creek Rods , they are the best rod I have found and the price is great. You're buying from a local small business owner, not to mention Turk is a great guy. You are getting a very quality rod and not paying a big price for it.

My favorite LC rod is the LCS69MLF (or smoothie). It's the most versitle rod you will find and is extremely sensitive. You can't go wrong with it for not mater how you wanna fish it.

Sorry, to bug you guys. New to the site have a question for you. I just put my picture on my account and it doesn't show up on my screen. Does it have to be approved by the admin first?

To be honest with you I don't feel that you can get a GREAT rod for that budget. In my opinion the BEST jigging rod on the market for 1/8-1/4 oz jigs is a G Loomis IMX SJR721. You can find this rod for just over $200. Don't waste your money on the GL2 or GL3 models, while they are good (they feel like about every other "good" (read forign made) rod in that price range) they just aren't as sensitive as the IMX.

St. Croix makes some very nice rods in it's Legend Elite and Legend Tournament serious as well, and I have several of their rods, just not a jigging rod so I can't make a recomendation.

Now most people on here will rebutt at the price of these GREAT rods, but figure out what you have into your other toys and how much it cost for every time you use it and you will find that a high end rod/reel combo comes in at a pretty affordable toy.

MNfishinguy has it right. I would say that you should factor in how much you will use it and understand that a great rod and reel combo isn't as expensive as some other toys we have. The IMX he recommended is a great rod at a pretty reasonable price when you look at what you are getting.

I have most of the rods mentioned (except the limit creek). I personally like the shimano crucial for jigging. I love my IMX for lindy rigging, but for some reason, I feel that the shimano transfers the bottom clearer. The IMX feels softer if that makes any sense. I really like the Avid for casting cranks because it has a little more backbone than the shimano. The shimano's also have a warrenty that is better than any of the others. If you ever break the shimano, just bring it into any authorized dealer and they will replace it on the spot. Hope this helps.

icehole10 the one thing I need to ask is what type of jigging do you have in mine. Are you going to cast on to structure.vertical jig or throw the jig behind the boat and rip it while trolling ? The reason I ask is one rod will not do all of these so what do plan on trying the most. A good lindy rod will ok for ripping but will be soft in the tip for casting. I don't believe you need to spend $200.00 to get a good rod but you do need to know how many modules of graphite make up the rod. I would go no lower then a IM8 or the equivalent. All my rods are at least 6'6".

As Jim above states, it really depends. If you plan to cast or just drift. Also, if you are mostly a river angler or a lake angler, and how deep you are normally fishing. If you normally fish shallow and with light jigs a 7' ML action rod will probably suit you best, But if you fish a river and often are plugging 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs to get near the bottom, then a M action rod will be better. If you fish a river and casting accuracy is key, a shorter rod will be more accurate, but if drifting is what you normally do, a longer rod will get your presentation farther from the boat.

I think for the money, the Shimano Rods are awesome, but have many friends who swear by the Limit Creek rods too!

Most likely what I would like to get into is casting to shallow weedlines with 1/8 to 1/4 jigs. In the spring it seems most of the fish I catch are in 8-11ft of water, and after a coupleof passes the fish move off. I would like to be able to cast into these ares from deeper water. Thank you all for your advice. Also are the limit creek rod sold locally or do you order them?

In your budget range St Croix Avid 6'3" xfast is a great pure jigging/pitching rod and will do you right plus it has enough backbone to use the heavier jigs. The Limit Creek 6'9" Smoothie is just a very versatile rod - I love mine and use them for jiggin as well as slip bobbers and rigging. I use them on the river and Mille Lacs. Best rod I have used though is the new St Croix Extreme - dynamite rod but at over $300 out of you budget range.

Quote:
In the spring it seems most of the fish I catch are in 8-11ft of water, and after a couple of passes the fish move off.

Even if you cast at them you will find that the school will scatter or move just because when you hook one the fight back to the boat can spook them but more then likely they will be a short distance away to your right or left in the same type of cover.By short distance I mean 30' to 50'away. I would try 1/8 to 3/16 and no heaver with some sort of plastic along with a minnow but that is how I like to fish in the weeds or when casting to rock piles. The plastic will help slow the drop and help to keep them hanging on for a little bit longer.

My choice of rod would be a 6'6' to 7' medium light or 1/16 to 1/4 with a some what of a fast tip but make sure first and foremost that it is high modules graphite. Every brand mention on here would work now you need to do a little shopping and pick up some rods and rub the tip on the carpet and the counter tops and see what feels most sensitive to you.

Trust me, you want the Loomis 721. A GREAT jigging rod. Go to the G. Loomis website and look around. They, like St. Croix, do not make a half dozen rods and claim that each one covers several aspects of fishing, they make over 100 different rods. Shimano rods are nice too and Deitz knows what he's talking about there (he is on their pro-staff). The problem you could run into with these great warranties of some rods is once you get out in the boondocks try to find a Shimano or Limit Creek dealer. If you break a G. Loomis they can next day air you a new rod (for a small fee), no questions asked. They and St. Croix also have excelent customer service and their products are made here in the USA.

Stop into Thorne Bros sometime and look at the blanks and feel the rods. They sell Shimano, G. Loomis and St. Croix.

Good advice MNfishingguy.. Always a good idea to hold the rods and compare them in your hands.. and yes, I am on the Shimano Pro-Staff, I am no trying to hide anything..

As for my advice, with the information given.. I would look at a 6'6" or 6'8", Medium Fast or even Extra fast action rod.

Quote:
Most likely what I would like to get into is casting to shallow weedlines with 1/8 to 1/4 jigs.

I like most others, have a multitude of rods. For veritical jigging I like a shorter rod. My main vertical rods are a 6 foot Med. Loomis and a 6' Med lite St. Croix Avid.

For pitching lighter jigs, I prefer a longer, med lite action rod. The rods I use most are the St. Croix Avid 6'9" ML,ex fast tip and the 6'9" Limit Creek "Smoothie". The "Smoothie" is just as sensive as the SC Avid and is half the price. I do use these for verital jigging at times and they work well.

Overall, for the money, the Limit Creeks are pretty tough to beat.

mw

Quote:
If you break a G. Loomis they can next day air you a new rod (for a small fee), no questions asked.

A small fee of 50 bucks if it is your fault. $20.00 if you know it is the manufacturers fault. The thing is they won't tell you which it is and it is up to their discretion.

I'm not against these companies and actually own a number of rods from St. Croix and Loomis. But this is the warranty you get with the high end rods.

I like the over the counter warranty.

I think for an all around rod a 6'0 Medium power fast action pole is best suited. I really like St. Croix rods and you could get a couple Triumph or Premiers if you get a good deal or have a coupon. More rods=more versatility.

Most likely what I would like to get into is casting to shallow weedlines with 1/8 to 1/4 jigs. In the spring it seems most of the fish I catch are in 8-11ft of water, and after a coupleof passes the fish move off. I would like to be able to cast into these ares from deeper water. Thank you all for your advice. Also are the limit creek rod sold locally or do you order them?

You can order them from their website. They are a sponsor on FM.

LimitCreek Rods

I'm thinking I'd like a great rod. My budget for the rod alone would be between 100.00 and 150.00.

For that $$ your best option is going to be a Shimano crucial IMO. I've got a ML fast action rod that is pretty nice. They offer quite a few options in Med x-fast and MedLight fast action rods.

If money were no issue, the best all around jigging rod that I have used is the SJR721 glx. It was the only rod I owned for 12 years and I've caught everything on them from crappie to lake trout. The Legend xtreme Mark mentioned are probably pretty sweet too. Personally I feel Gloomis makes better jigging rods though.

I told you most people would rebutt at the prices of the BEST rods here, and like I also said, it's a pretty cheap toy when you break it down. I will guarantee that with the style of fishing you are describing, you will catch more fish with a high quality rod. I would also consider the Shimano Crucial but play with them first.

There is a very good thread on a different Walleye specific website on this very same subject. Some of the best walleye guys (FLW and PWT top ten pros) in the states have weighed in on it. There are a couple of brands mentioned here that get talked about alot there.

I would also check out the Bass Pro shops line up of Walleye rods designed by Parsons and Kieth K. I have 2 of them and love em. Price is right too at $99 for the 7' Med action fast tip rod. This is there rigging/jigging rod but they have others for cranking, deadsticking, trolling, etc. They have them on their website if you want to check out the specs.

Originally Posted By: icehole10

You can order them from their website. They are a sponsor on FM.

LimitCreek Rods

You can also go into bait stores and hold them before you buy them. The stores that have them are listed on the above site.

Mike, I am in agreement. I broke a St. Croix and it was going to cost me $50+ to have them replace it. The rod was only worth $110 new. Instead off sending it back, I had Thorne Bros put a new tip on it for $10. It is now a back up.

In your budget range St Croix Avid 6'3" xfast is a great pure jigging/pitching rod and will do you right plus it has enough backbone to use the heavier jigs. The Limit Creek 6'9" Smoothie is just a very versatile rod - I love mine and use them for jiggin as well as slip bobbers and rigging. I use them on the river and Mille Lacs. Best rod I have used though is the new St Croix Extreme - dynamite rod but at over $300 out of you budget range.

I would agree with the St. Croix Avid 6'3" Medium extra-fast. This is a very versatile jigging rod. You can vertical jig, pitch, drag, etc with this rod and it will work well. I think you can pick one up for about $150 or so. This rod has a lifetime warranty as well.

I think this is the best rod in your price range hands down. That my opinion anyway. Take a look at what graphite is used on some of the other rods discussed...other than the more expensive ones and I think you will find the Avid is a notch above the rest.