• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice and bite conditions?

I am thinking about heading to Lake Pepin this coming weekend I would like to drive on at Maiden Rock and go across to the Minnesota side of the lake just wondering what the ice thickness is if it is safe to drive all the way across? I haven't been out there yet this season just want to make sure it's safe enough. Also curious as to how the bite has been for eyes and sauger?

Any help would sure be appriciated.

Thanks,

Derek Borchardt

I am thinking about heading to Lake Pepin this coming weekend I would like to drive on at Maiden Rock and go across to the Minnesota side of the lake just wondering what the ice thickness is if it is safe to drive all the way across? I haven't been out there yet this season just want to make sure it's safe enough. Also curious as to how the bite has been for eyes and sauger?

Any help would sure be appriciated.

Thanks,

Derek Borchardt

Derek,

Ice thickness varies from 16 - 21" all the way across. Vehicles are driving everywhere. The fishing comes in spurts. I've seen schools of 8", 12" and 16"+ fish come through but the action is steady, nonetheless.

Where is a good place to start out there to find the fish?

You said you were going out of Maiden Rock. Did you change your mind?

No, still planning on Maiden Rock but just wondering a more specific area out there. Not looking for secrect spots just some general guidelines, like what dephts should I be shooting for things like that.

Thanks

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about heading out by point no point today just wondering if the ice is ok there to drive on? Heading out about 300 or 330 would that be a good time to get into some eye and sauger action?

Thanks for the help.

Derek Borchardt

Thinkin bout headin down this weekend......Wonderin if any luck out at Old Frontenac Beach (Mud Flats),Lake City point, or Maple Springs area...Thx in advance...

Chucker

I was at Frontenac Beach on 1/31/9 from 3:00 to 6:00pm. I caught 4 sauger 14-18 inches, nice eaten fish.I was in 23 fow, using a whole minnow on a sweadish pimple.I saw alot of fish on the vexilar. The fish I caught came rocketing up of the bottom. They acted alot different, than the other fish I saw that afternoon.

Going out to Point No Point on Thursday afternoon and just wondering if it is worth my time to set any tip-ups out or just jig?

Thanks

Derek

Derek~

I am also coming down there for Thursday afternoon with my brother. He doesn't get to fish much, but now that he has been laid off, he has some free time. I will have a Jeep and a Fish Trap Guide, Jeep might be on shore, we'll see...

Any ideas on what is working down there right now? It will be my first time on the ice in that area this season...

Stop by and say Hi Derek!

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

It sounds like Swedish Pimples with a minnow in 16-20 feet of water have been the ticket the last couple weeks from what I have heard from a few other guys. I haven't been out there in awhile, but I plan on using a few different lures to see what will work (jigging rapala, chubby darter), I have heard that jigging a jig head with a minnow hooked on works well. Going to start in and around 20 feet of water. Hopefully we can find the fish. I will be out on a snowmobile just fishing off that try to stay mobile plus I don't feel comfortable taking my truck out there.

Maybe see you out there I plan on getting out around 330 or so.

Derek, sounds like a funtime to me! I'm new to this wsite, but have fished pool4 for about 5 years now and love the ups and downs of hunting the sacred "eye", I have learned tons from all of you fellow fmr's and will return the info if I can ever figure them out. I fished frontenac beach on monday in 21- 24feet of water using a buckshot and fathead, and a jig/fathead combo and the buckshot outfished it, but it was slow at best

I,ll be at Frontenac Beach on 2/6/9 about 7:00am. I'm a new poster boy, but i've fished the river for fourty years. Stop by and say hi. I'll be sitting by a brown f-150 and a clam scout.

Hi Phil,

Not to hijack the tread, but where are you a pro at. Are you at Woodhill? My brother-in-law is a PGA pro in the cities too.

Mark

Skitter~

I was at Edina. I am no longer in the golf business, I quit there last February. Little did I know that it was not the best time for a career change!!!

Phil