• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jigginjim

Trapping end

jigginjim

I was wondering when most guys pull in most of their traps for the year? On fox and coon sets what are you guys using most?

I Love teeth

I move most of mine when everything freezes up. You can contnue to trap water though. Find the running water at the bottom of a beaver dam, the the water cotinues to run till it get's very cold. You can also find the beaver runs around the beaver house. BE VERY CAREFUL around a beaver house, the ice may only be a skim from all the traffic under the ice. Inside a muskrat house is always a good set. on land you can use buckwheat hulls to stop your traps from freezing down. You may not have to pull all your traps, only find a little different way to keep the elements off your equipment. As far as bait. When bait freezes it does not give off as good of scent as when it is thawed. A good loud lure with skunk esecnce is the ticket. That lure has worked for me on fox coyote, fisher, bobcat. As far as coons watch the weather. If it warms enough they may poke there heads out but mostly when its cold they are holed up. For fox I have had good luck with a straw set and drags. Nail down bait, a good lure and wait. This is just what has worked for me.

jigginjim

Thanks a bunch I pulled my traps. When it got so cold, walking to make the rounds on several traps, the frost bite was starting to hit. Nice learn things that may help next season.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Matt Johnson
      Weekly Metro Area, MN fishing report and tips for June 16. Happy Father's Day to all of the Dad's out there! A fun week, but as always, we had to deal with some aspects of weather! Hopefully everyone caught a few fish and it's nice to stumble across some fun patterns...   Metro Area MN Fishing Reports for June 16 - VIDEO - CLICK HERE   Enjoy!
    • Squirrelhawke
      Growing up in South Dakota I learned to enjoy the fishing I got to do in the Watertown area with great grandpa and the Missouri River and Black Hills fishing with Grandpa. It's a little different than what I see here in Minnesota but the basics are the same. Seems to be more emphasis on fish size than fishery quality or maybe I was just raised different.  Either way it was always about the beauty of nature and learning a valuable skill from 2 knowledgeable individuals. Now I just try to pass those skills on to the next generation and hope they learn how to protect our resources as well as I was taught.
    • smurfy
      same here!!! doesn't hurt to have lived close to the horseshoe chain and having a cabin in Itasca county!!!!!!   nuttin better then a meal of fish straight from the lake to the fish cleaning shack to the plate either!!!!!!
    • Kettle
      Similar to eyeguy, I fished when I was young with my parents. At some points it was about trying to catch big fish for me, now days it's for relaxing and teaching kids to fish. 
    • Raven77
      Nice fish Bill!  I'm going to start following you around 😀
    • fins_n'_feathers
      Just curious if your from Canada or the US? When you say 2 man limits of 17 inch fish every day, just wondering which limit, Canadian or US visiting Canada limit. Thanks for the report! 
    • eyeguy 54
      Parents fished and I started very early in life. I fish because it's fun.  
    • waterspaniel
      caught 2-man limits of 17" walleyes every day.  biggest eyes were 26".  trolled cranks and worked jig/lindy rig w/ leeches in 8-12'.  friend's first trip to Rainy and he CPR'd a 40" pike!  he's hooked now!
    • BRULEDRIFTER
      Hard to find a lake up the trail not chock-full of invasive smallmouth. Slip bobbers and leeches, and cast towards shoreline rock piles. 
    • fish_time
      Why do you fish? We all have different goals when we go fishing. Some of us want a meal of fish to eat. Some of us just want to relax. Most of all, we want that "TROPHY" catch. We want something to brag to our friends about, the "Master Angler".