• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The ice fishing gods have it in for me

FINALLY got out on my own this morning on Calhoun. I get there and my freshly charged Vexilar battery is almost dead. Spins but not fast enough to get a reading. I think hey maybe I should just take it as a sign and go look for a new battery. Then I decide to stay, and as I'm driving over to a spot I know well enough to fish without a Vex, I crash the car into a snow bank. Sweet.

Luckily no damage, but at this point I am so determined to fish because I'm p'd off.

Finally get out there and drill some holes. Catch a 8 inch perch immediately on an eye-dropper spoon. Then nothing for an hour, other than managing to cut off my spoon while it was in the hole, when some wind blew my line onto the uncased auger blade. What a day...

Its a crazy crazy world out there on the ice. jk. Buy a marcum that will help the vexlar situation.. =)

I feel you buddy, I had the same/worse thing happen to me. Went out to a west metro lake, got there and Marcum was acting up. I switched battery and same nothing, so I pull the power cord off to check the connection, plugged it in and bent the spikes, then tried to straighten then back up and ended up cracking both. Decided to fish any ways, but didn't bring gas for drill, drove to the gas station and gased up the drill " 29 cents" and 1.99 for 2 cycle oil. Got back to the lake started fishing, and forgot to bring latern. I was totally frustrated.

Good luck out there. Went out again yesterday and it payed off. Takes one good day of fishing to clear up that frustration. Managed a few good eater walleyes and a few slab crappies.

- I had to resort to my FL-8SE. Forgot how precious it was. Gotta figure out what I an do about my Marcum now.?

I have come to find that the first five trips of the season can hold some equipment and other issues. Especially if you have new equipment or a new set-up you are trying to work the bugs out of. Then there is just the general "Oh, I forgot about that from last year". This stuff occurring to a person early in the year (or first trips out) can cause stress, much so it puts a drag on you about going out the next time frown .

Just stick with it and by that 5th trip all the bugs and other junk will be just a memory.

Heck, if you get a good amount of trips in during the season, by late ice you are just in a T-shirt, everything works, you are catching fish and load up takes less than half the time it did during early ice smile

I feel ya.

Its Saturday Night......

so the wife and I have the night out in the ice house. Everything is loaded, shes in the house saying goodbys to the boys.

Hummmm....Let me see, lets just check that auger out while were waiting for wifey.Its been acting up!!

BROKE = PANICK!! Night out. No Kids. Wife. Beer. NOOOOOOOOO.Its gotta work.

Call my brother. Ya still that Auger that ya never use? Sure, somewhere. Wanna sell it? Sure but the thing hasnt been started in years.Ill see if I can find it. ILL BE RIGHT THEIR! Wife and I go pick up Auger, pay brother. COOL. Back on track.

Get back home, hook up the ice house and investigate the "NEW" auger. Gas and a few pulls and shes up and running. GREAT!! Moms in the truck, goodbys have been said, the night is saved!

YES!

Get to the lake, locate and start drilling. Bust one hole and BAMB! Auger keep dying. Start er up. Touch the gas and she dies. THIS SUCKS! I F-around with it for another 10- 15 minutes. NO GO! OK, logical deductions:

Is the gas good? YES.

Is it getting gas? YES!

Is the carb gummed up? Dont know!

Bad Plug? Dont Know!

Back to the house for some tools & a plug.Back to the lake. End up replacing the plug. All is good.

Finished drilling with some of the dullest blades I have ever been blessed to use. 12 FOW!!!!!! Im about 25 ft short of my drop.

NO.........

Fish awhile....and end up moving to the drop.Drilled some more with those dull a$$ blades and caught a few fish and had a nice quite time with wifey.

It was the greatest ever if I had to do some husteling to get er done.

sorry for the spelling

b safe

just me

I feel for ya,

I've been there.

But it could have been worse.

You could of had your best day ever at work!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.