• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ferel pig hunting?

soldoncass

I've got some friends looking into feral pig hunting in Texas in a couple months...anybody ever do that? They have access to 1 or 2 ranches and the license is reasonable, but I have a few questions:

Are there really as many down there as they say?

What kind of success did you have?

How many pigs did you see?

How long did you hunt?

Would you do it again?

Thanks

This was just talked about a few months back in one of these hunting forums, either hunting or the deer bear elk moose forum. Think it was titled Boar, but then turned into ferel pig and TX. Search around and I'll do the same and let you know if I come across it

there is a chat room from where several folks get together down in Texas and kill a pretty good amount of hogs in Febuary. One of the regulars that go there is Dunkster5@ AOL. COM He can give you the name of the ranch they hunt on and all the particulars. Personally, I hate the Texas hunting style. Extremely expensive. Besides, Texas is riddled with feral hogs and are considered vermin. I find it hard to swallow that they want someone to pay to rid their land of them when, in my opnion, they should be paying people to kill em off. I was stationed inn Texas for 11 years and paid for a "day hunt" ONE day, that was it for me.

I have wondered the same thing paul, they say the are destroying land and everything down there but these ranches still want to charge you $300+ a day to kill one, that i dont get. I do know someone in MN has big russian boars you can go and kill on a farm up north, a guy i know just went up there to kill one

I have wondered the same thing paul, they say the are destroying land and everything down there but these ranches still want to charge you $300+ a day to kill one, that i dont get. I do know someone in MN has big russian boars you can go and kill on a farm up north, a guy i know just went up there to kill one
Now thats some HARD HUNTIN!

Mmmm, I thought wild pigs on game farms were illegal in MN...

The DNR is trying to keep them out simply because of the damage they do, rooting up everything, eating anything they can find, plus they're tough to get rid of once they're established.

My son lives in Texas, around the Tyler (NE) area. We have looked into the same hunt. What you have to remember is that it is generally a "stand" hunt, at least in that area. What you are paying for is not the chance to kill a pig, but rather the use of the land, stand, and for someone to maintain the feeders. You are not required to hunt on private land. However, if you choose to do so, you will need to pay the landowner. You can always hunt public land---much like you can hunt pheasants on public land in S.D.---likely with the same success. Since I know soneone in the area, we have the ability to locate some of the better public spots with less hunter traffic. If you are coming from say MN and have no prior experience in the area, or don't know anyone in the area to do some advance scouting, I think the day fee or other charges (as long as reasonable) are the best bet.

hope this helps

dukhntr

Appreciate everybodys info/ replys! Thanks.

One of the guys thinking about it is currently working down there 3 days a week, so is making some contacts.

I have researched on-line some....wow....some of the stories are incredible. Not sure it is something I would do or not....thanks for everyones help.

Guys,

There is a farm that has wild hogs around the brainerd area. It is called the North Star hunting preserve. The price is decent at around 300, but the pen is small at around 40 acres. Several friends of mine have done it. The pigs run around 100 to 150 pounds

The 40 acre fence is why I haven't done it myself. If you want to go on a real pig hunt look up ranches in south texas or do as I have done and hook up with some of the locals that hunt them with dogs. If you choose the latter be ready to put on a bunch of miles. Those things are hard to stop sometimes

There is a game farm called North star in Iowa that has hogs for around $300. But I have never heard of a place in MN. The farm in Iowa advertises in the outdoor news.

Tying it up for you wouldn't be fair chase, would it?

Ah well.....

You have not seen my shooting abilities smile

Hunting wild pigs is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I've been down in texas doing it. Not all ranches are created equal. Yes, it's frustrating to have to pay for land access but unless you know someone, that's the way it is. But, if you get on the right ranch, the experience will be unreal.

My first trip down there my wife and I killed 13 hogs, 4 buck white tails and a hand full of coyotes. Unreal experience.

206tusker1.jpg

206double.jpg

PMtusker.jpg

I know a guy that hit one of those things at 80mph on a TX highway... Hit it square in the head, which spun the body around into the quarter panel. Did some pretty significant damage to the front bumper and quarter panel, but it didn't even compare to the damage that hog's head sustained. It was apparently ready to take a carp too, because it sprayed the the passenger side of the windshield and all along the side car brown upon impact. The pictures were not pretty.

He said it was pretty tasty though.... sick

It’s all good stuff…We hosted party with family and friends when we returned from our TX hog hunting trip, and there wasn’t one person that was disappointed with the taste. That includes both women and children, because sometimes they can be your picker eaters. But anyway, we also served some catfish we got down there too. Another thing we fell in love with while down there was boudin sausage (pronounced boo-dan). We brought a couple cases of that back too.

The hogs we did get, on the bores - we were told you have to immediately remove the family jewels, because that can really effect the tasting of the meat. That is just what they said, so that is what we did. True or false, I don’t know? We didn’t; know any different.