• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

C-c-c-cold weather for trout opener

yeah it still reads "null"

iv got 36 below here on the south kawish

it might drop even more as the sun comes up

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Foss

• Mike Stark

• caseymcq

• Great Outdoors

If you look at the 3 day history the last 3 readings were -38 before it "Froze up" so my guess it might have even dropped more because it almost always is colder right at sunrise.

We had -36 when I was up in the middle of the night to feed the wood furnace. Calm clear nights, like Mike said, tend to deliver coldest temps around sunrise up here, so we could be at -40 for all we know.

Ah well, as Capt. Russ said in his ice/slush update on the Bside ice report thread, it's definitely tightening things up on the ice. Gotta love THAT! gringrin

Ah, I see a different weather site has Ely at -42 right now. It'll be a good 10 degrees colder down along the low black spruce bogs at this moment. I've photographed at sunrise in winter in those bogs when it's 10 to 15 degrees colder than the upland air temps. No wind though. Positively balmy without wind. grin

With all this talk of the cold weather I don't feel so bad anymore that I won't be there for the opener. Good luck to all of you!

Ely airport is a old AWOS site--- it doesn't record a temp below -40F. When the temp falls below -40, it reports nil. Other weather stations, not realated to the NWS and not at airports had -43F in Ely. -45 at Ash River, -45 at 4 miles South of Seagull Lake and babbitt takes the cake with -48F.

Expect tonight to be 5 to 10F colder,, perhaps challeging the all-time MN record of -60F set at Tower in FEb 1996. it will be close, but probablt at little too much wind to get much past -55F.

it will be close, but probablt at little too much wind to get much past -55F.

That there's funny, I dont care who ya are!!

Just checked some lakes by Isabella and Finland and the slush is FROZEN!! The snow has been windblown and I was walking in about 5-7 inches. I should have brought the auger and drilled holes but didn't. Wish I did now, but oh well. It'll be cold tomorrow but the lakes seem to be in almost perfect shape. Hope that motivates some of the people who were on the fence about tomorrow! Good Luck!

Um, I bet not, splakeshaker. I think -48 or so (not including wind chill) will be a bit too cold for most folks. I'd be staying warm at home myself but I made a commitment, and I'm too stupid to back out. shockedshocked Just came in from starting the sled (no prob), the SUV (no prob) and the auger (no prob). What could POSSIBLY go wrong now? gringrin

Come the weekend, with highs in the teens on Sat. and 20s on Sun., I bet the lakes'll REALLY be shakin'! gringringrin

Either way, I'm darn glad opener is finally here. You going to give us a fishing report tomorrow night from Isabella, splakeshaker? smile

That's the plan! wink

It's not nearly as cold in Two Harbors as it has been in the Ely area. Finland wasn't intolerable. I'll be there in the morning. Isabella did seem much colder, but I was dressed for it. My nose gotta bit chilly but outside of that, I wasn't to bad off. The wind did start picking up around here a little more around noon today. It's been pretty still until then.

well iv been fighting to get the ford started all morning..with NO luck...finally got it in a heated garage...should start soon...have to get a block heater next week

not camping tonight...not enough time and dont trust the ford to start up cold after tonight.

ill be getting up early to make it burntside but no camping until it warms up...to many things went wrong today to make it happen.

my worry now is that my truck starts and GO or someplace is still open when i get to town

does anyone know if the upper lot as outlets to plug in your car????

ill be in a green eskimo hub....stop by and say hello if you see me

good luck and be safe

mike

I've never seen any outlets, Mike. You COULD run an extension cord from Great Outdoors' home, but that's quite a bit farther down Van Vac Road than the landing. gringringrin

Just bring along a set of jumper cables. People like Xplorer and me who drive Toyotas are very used to boosting broken-down Fords. winkwink

yeah jumper cables didnt help this morning...it will not turn over..i just went and tried again and still nothing cry i think its just flooded now...or something...it seems warm enough to start

i hope that i can at least make it to the lake tomorrow...if i miss opener because of the ford i will not be a happy camper....shes never given me any problems before

we will see

We'll have fun on Monday, buddy. I'll catch a few 15-pounders for you, and I'll whisper your name in their ears before I let them go. By Monday, all they'll be able to hear is the echo of the word Xplorer, and when you lower that special color/pattern Slender spoon, they'll be all over it like stink on, well, you know. gringrin

Yeah, WHATEVER!

Can you tell it's the night before Trout Opener, and all through the house not a true tale was stirring . . .

well i got the ford started...only took about 11hours

i think we are still going to set up a wall tent right off the van vac

short walk and a warm tent....

just hope she starts up for me in the morning.

boy im debating on if i head out or not tomorrow. it is going to be a cold one for sure and dont think i want to take the long walk out to the fishin hole. I will prolly be an ice cube before i get there lol.

will kno for sure in the morning when i wake up and check the weather. If i do make it im in a blue clam 5600 and will be draggin everything so come on by and say hi if ya see me!

Well, no fishing for me today. I started feeling sick late last night and woke up to the alarm at 6 a.m. with a fever and chills. Didn't think it was worth fighting the cold.

Figures. frown

Steve,

Strange how it works.....I got a call at 6:40 this morning from the school saying it was closed today. Good thing I did hang here.

Sorry to here you're not feeling well.

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Not the shut out!! We been rootin' for you guys.

Get well and hopefully you can make the weekend.

I got up at 4:30 this morning. Went to take a shower and found my pipes were froze!!! eek I just finally got them thawed out now. 8.5 hrs in the crawlspace with the hair dryer, and space heater! Oh well, At least I learned a little more about the plumbing in the house and the wifey will be thrilled when she get home. Missed opening day but I have the rest of the week to make up for it. On vacation till next Thursday grin

I made it out to Tofte. Caught two little splake (8" and 12") and missed four other fish(small). It was fun to pull in the little ones.

I was going to go out to B-side and I even was as far as buying bait and getting a few pointers at GO's. But by the time I got to the landing it I was probably going to be cutting in too close to the time I needed to pick up the munchkin. I will, hopefully, be hitting B-side tomorrow with my better half.

Sorry to hear that some of you didn't make it out. Mr. Foss, I hope you are feeling better soon. Drink a couple Hot Totties tonight before you hit the hay.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that some of you didn't make it out. Mr. Foss, I hope you are feeling better soon. Drink a couple Hot Totties tonight before you hit the hay.

Maybe that was the problem with Mr.Foss last night laugh or maybe it was because he changed his name and got rid of the catfish. laugh Seriuosly I hope you feel better I was looking forward to seeing some good reports before the Bash.

Mike,

There should be some good reports coming in within the next 10 days when/if the ice conditions straighten up.

I'm feeling a bit better and plan to get out tomorrow. Y'all just better stay upwind or you'll get the bug.

Come to think of it, I'll swing into Great Outdoors to buy bait first and will lay a few sneezes on the Great Finn and his titanium kneeses. gringrin

Too late for the sneeze on the knees, already had the dang flu. frown

Shrugged it off after a day or two, would have killed a lesser man grin