• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Auger problems. Need help

mww24

Question

I went to start my eskimo auger today, and could not get it to start without having to use the throttle. When I could get it running i had to have it pegged wide open, and if i let off it stopped running pretty quick. Also when it did run without me having the throttle on the blade still turned at about half speed. I used it last weekend and it ran fine. All i've had to do in the past was prime it a couple times and it would fire on the first couple pulls. Anyone have any suggestions to hopefully save me from having to bring it to a small engine shop. Thanks.

13 answers to this question

Anyone got anything for me. I really really want to get on the lake tomorrow, and don't have a hand auger, and dont want to buy one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sounds like either a vent problem on the gas tank or the diaphram needs to be replaced in the carb or a piece of debris under the diaphram itself.

well i am not a small engine mechanic but it sounds like you are not getting enough fuel so ethier your gas cap is not venting or if your primer knob is not vented . first is your gas cap have a vent screww on it ? if not try loosing it a half of turn or so. also push your primer button and does it stay sucked in? if so its vent is plugged if that dont work i will think about it a little more, just for giggles how fresh is your gas/oil mix ?

i have the vent screw all the way open. Gas is fairly old, but its what ive been running all year so far , which is every weekend since the first weekend of december, and i added stabil to it. the primer bulb comes back out when i push it. So i dont think its a venting problem.

Does it stay in the cold when not in use.Just for curiosity sake put it awarmed room for a couple hours and then try it, just maybe you have a peice of ice in carb. That happend to the brother inlaw a few years back. Had to change fuel and was ready to go. Good Luck. Hope you can get out tommorow. I have not been out once yet but Ill get there next week.

I keep it in the garage, and today i moved it into the heated part of the garage today for about an hour, and still no luck. I think the carb must be gummed up. How should i go about cleaning it? Do i have to take it apart or is there a way to get carb cleaner where i need to with only a little disassembly. I'd rather not rip the little thing totally apart if i dont have to.

Your gonna have to take it off the auger. Sounds like somthing is stuck in your needle seat in the carb. Get it off the auger take the bottom of the carb off (4 screws). Take the diaghram out and the take the hex screw out with the tiny needle like thing in it. Watch out not to loose anything. Spray carb cleaner through all the ports and even strip a bread bag twisty tie and stick it in the ports. Once everything is clear put it back together. That should get gas going through it again unless your diaghram is bad! Then youll need a carb kit for about $14 I think.

thanks everyone. appreciate the help. My buddy said I can borrow his auger. so it looks like ice for tomorrow and monday after work for repairs.

piker, hit it on the head thats your next step sorry, hope you can make it out then, piker told you to clean out the ports there should be two one is big enough to see and the other one is pretty small like the size if a wire off of a wire brush, good luck !!

Before turning any adjustment screws out, first turn it in while noticing how far you went to bottom out (1 1/2 turns for example), then remove. That way when you go to put it back together you can turn that adjustment screw all the way in, then back it off however far your original position was when it did run.

if you get to taking stuff apart, take a picture of it first. that way you can get it back together if you cant remember.

***** Run only non-oxygenated /non-ethenol... Ethenol attracts water, and has a cleaning action which can knock gunk/sediment loose in carb and cause clogs too,.. Add a little seafoam every now and then too! How is unit stored in summer??? with or without gas?? I find that with the newer gases and additives, it does go bad faster.. and it used to be, shut your fuel off and run it dry, thats not always the best idea anymore. that can leave slime to dry which then flakes off once its dry, and clogs start to happen

I have non oxygenated 92 octane. I stored it with gas in it. Before storing I added stabil and ran it for 10 minutes. I'm thinkin though that i haven't added stabil to this batch of gas which is from the fall. That may have been the problem. Old gas and its just now getting gunked up enough not to work. I really appreciate everyones suggestions. It always nice to have more minds working on the problem than just mine. Thank you guys. I'm going to take the carb apart monday or tomorrow after fishing and give it a cleaning and see if it helps. Thank god for buddies who are nice enough to loan you there stuff even though you broke yours.