• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jig-Head

• outdoor ran

• gritsnham

Made it out of Loonsfoot tonight and made my own path accross the channel with my snowmobile, not an easy task with all the jagged ice. Set up well away from the rest of the folks out there.

Set up in 12 FOW and moved up to 8 FOW at dusk. Managed 2 perch and a small eye.

Quite a few looks but not alot of takers.

Thanks Gary, I appreciate you grabbing that for me. I'll catch ya at B-side.

Forgot to mention, on my way out near Buoy 4 I saw a flag sticking out to the snow. Someone left a frabill tipup out there for a bit too long. It's a permanent fixture now.

Ooops! Looks like some serious augering to get that baby out after tonight. It will look like Pfisters auger at the bash a few years ago.

Chef, it was pretty slow for our group tonight too. That channel is pretty nasty. Some big jagged ice sticking up. I've been seeing some trucks driving across it. Looks like a bumpy ride.

Well fellas, I think its time to think about moving my shack. We've been out there four times now and only one small perch caught. Cheffrey I thought I saw someone way down by Loonsfoot but didnt have the binoc's with. My buddies think I should move closer to the Superior Entry, I was thinking maybe closer to the sh-- plant. Any suggestions?

jig-head,

The one thing with the river is the fish are always on the move. One day they are in the harbor the next they are all the way up to 23 bridge. Then back to where ever they can find food you must move a lot. The river is not like fishing a inland lake or inland walleyes. Stay mobile or get your house up river up by walleye alley where the river narrows. They all move up stream at some point. Well keep at it and good luck fishing.

Straight out from my house according to the contour map, it drops to 12'. I'm in 7'. You think it might be worth a try there?

I hop around alot with my portable. I've caught fish any where from 5ft to 15ft this year. All on the other side. I have tried your side a couple times and didn't land a fish. Did lose a couple nice ones though. Like Tom said the fish move around so much out there, it can just be a waiting game. Sounds like its going to warm up by the end of the week. Maybe you can get outside and do some moving around and exploring. Find a fishy spot to move your shack to.

Cheffrey I thought I saw someone way down by Loonsfoot but didnt have the binoc's with.

Did it look like this?

IMG00163.jpg

Thats it! Must have been cold settin up and drivin out there. We couldnt even get vapor pressure in the coleman lantern until the shack heated up a little. How deep were you there?

I was on 8' in the pic, a few feet behind the shack it was a 11' shelf that I started early on and drilled holes to move up on. Wasn't too bad out, my Mr' Heater cooker was getting a workout though.

Jighead I tried to tel ya back when you were talking about setting up your house that the cheesey side was DEAD.

Get that thing over on the Mn. side of the channel right out front of the Barkers Island Inn and you will catch fish.

Anyone going out this afternoon? I cant decide wich entry to go towards. Maybe just hit the flats? So many choices.

If fish are coming over to the MN side, they have to come over to the cheesey side. Heres my deal with the MN side. Unless I can cross the channel with a truck, I just cant come over there. We drink far too much to be crossing the bridge every time I want to go fishing. I would love to be in a spot to at least get one walleye, just one!! We just cant get any dumb ones to nibble on our side. I looked at the chart and noticed a flat of water about 12 to 13 feet deep over by the entry into the Barkers Marina, Im thinkin that might be the honey hole.

"We drink far too much to be crossing the bridge every time I want to go fishing."

Then is it catching fish or Drinking Well drink less or catch less that is not to hard to figure out. Drink less and catch more fish and drink when you get home it is safer that way to.

I agree. If your drinking that much you shouldnt be driving anyplace. The bridge is the least of your worries then.

If you set your house on the cheesey side of the channel in front of the before mentioned Motel you will stumble across a eye every now and then and some dandy pike are caught there.

The fish dont use the cheesey side much in the winter. They roam the flats and come in and out of the channel. Your way off the channel.

So move out to the channel edge by the red tin or move it in front of the motel. Its up to you. But please dont drink and drive no matter where you go.

Thats my rant for the day.

OK,its not that we are just "drinking all the time" maybe I came across wrong. But...if we go fishing we like to have a couple of cocktails in the process, and with one or two beers in ya, its like your a magnet for the 5-O. Just like to be safe than sorry.

Besides whats better to go with a pound of cheddar than a few Miller Lites...or wait, maybe wine would be better. Ha, ha.

Now you guys are gangin up on me. All I said is that we like to have a couple of beers while ice fishing. Maybe I should've said that we like to go to confessional before we go fishing.

Ok relax everyone. Lets not get uptight over this.

I can understand a few beers in the ice house. Just make sure you gave yourself enough cheddar and time before ya drive home man.

Its just that I see it all too often. 2 guys hop in a icehouse with a case of beer and drink it before they drive home.

Myself I seldom drink on the ice. I want my witts, what little I have, incase I should have something bad happen out there.

Never know when your going to get a flat or have a wheel drop through.

Jighead your post did say "far too much", maybe you want to change that?

What I meant to say was far too little with the amount of fish we've been catching, ha, ha!! it just gets frustrating sitting and waiting and trying different things. Oh well. Thats why its fishin and not catchin right? Its all right that everbody was gettin some digs in on my behalf about havin beers and fishin. I wouldnt have it any other way. Cheers. smile

northlander- I was going to head out to the harbor today, I will shoot you an email here in a second if you are looking for someone to fish with.

Ya I like having another truck with me if possible. Just in case.

I think I will be staying out by the blue tower a bit. E-mail me and Ill get ya my cel #.

Well I spent all day friday on the MN side of the channel between barkers and the airport, never had a bite. think I might try up river next.