• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

That kinda stinks that they did a news story on the bay the weekends will be nuts out there! Oh well it will just be another weekday spot for me like fish lake has slowly become...man I wish I had a snowmobile sometimes

Northlander the only picture I could get was on my phone and I was by myself so its not very good. O well if I can get it off my phone I will try to get it up.

Good luck in the harbor people

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• Jig-Head

• outdoor ran

• gritsnham

it's very possible that the reason why it's been so popular lately is because of all the slush on inland waters. hopefully this cold spell along with trout season will help alleviate some of the pressure/popularity in the bay.

When you say the one place you can go is full of snow, are you talking about right across the road from the boat landing where the yellow concrete blockades are? Thats where we went in last year. Another reason I want to go on the "cheesey" side is because my shack with the wheels on it is a little over ten feet wide and I would probably not make it over the lift bridge without hiting someone elses vehicle.

Yes thats the spot. You will see where I had to do some slick driving to get out.

it's very possible that the reason why it's been so popular lately is because of all the slush on inland waters. hopefully this cold spell along with trout season will help alleviate some of the pressure/popularity in the bay.

No its because 2 years ago the conditions were perfect, the water was as clear as Ive ever seen it and the fish moved in way early. Fishing was great. Last year was average and this year seems to be another avergae year. That news broadcst will surely get more "Sheeples" out there thats for sure.

My advice, get as far away from people as you can.

doubt it they seem to like you more, I'm the king of crappies and sunnies this year I guess, i got my 30 incher last year

No its because 2 years ago the conditions were perfect, the water was as clear as Ive ever seen it and the fish moved in way early. Fishing was great. Last year was average and this year seems to be another avergae year. That news broadcst will surely get more "Sheeples" out there thats for sure.

My advice, get as far away from people as you can.

well I've never ice fished the bay, thought about it but like you I hate "sheeples" I was just giving a guess as to why there seems to be a ton of people out there right now even though the fishing is slow, inland waters ARE a tough haul right now, sorry water messiah

Hey man wasnt trying to ruffle no feathers. Just my point of view after fishing all the local waters and river the past 25 plus years.

Northlander - went down to Barkers last night to check out where you had gone...little bit of snow there but not alot. I drove back and forth a few times just packing it down. I was too chicken to dive across the hump onto the water (by myself, didnt want to get stuck) As far as ice goes, we had driven out there a little bit last year with no problems - plenty of ice. There's 24 inches down at 28th street - we had 17 vehicles parked out there, all right next to one another. How thick is the ice out on the bay? Ice fishing just isnt the same unless you can drive right to the house.

Better bring a bunch of guys and shovels if you expect to try and get your house through there.

I wasnt going to drive out alone either. I got hung up a bit trying to back around. Locked it in 4 and the new tires pulled me out no problem. If I had a nother truck with me I would have lazed a trail out.

My thoughts exactly. I have a question... why is it that whenever someone owns a plow truck, and you ask them to come plow something for you, its like asking for their first born child? I must have about 3 or 4 friends (or acquaintances) that have plow trucks and it was like pulling teeth to get them to come out to 28th!! I think I just ahve to buy one.

It is probably around 16" out from the landing and a couple inches less towards the airport. There are a lot of trucks out from the landing and a well packed road. I drove out last weekend and there was a lot of poppin', but I made it.

I had about 16-18" where we were yesterday. We were there but the fish werent. I saw 1 fish all afternoon.

I had the same kinda story yesterday down on the harbor saw a few fish but they would barely look and then leave. O well im going to hold off till the warm up comes through and try saturday morning I think...maybe tommorow

Gander had them at one time. Otherwise the Hotspots map book is ok for the bay and parts of the river. The basics are there and thats all ya really need. Its all about the right place at the right time. My biggest suggestion is to get away from people.

Thanks Northlander, I plan to head out there after it warms up a bit. Hopefully Sunday, but more likely Monday

Hey PP nice to hear from ya again. Thats a great site and has more detail than I expected. Thanks!

1st off welcome to the best fishing site around and especially the Duluth/Bwca forum.

It doesnt matter what side your fishing you can fish both sides with either a MN. or Wi. license. No make believe boundry line like the Rainy River.

I recomend walking or snowmobiling off Park Point and find a place away from people in 7-12' of water.

As for the Lake Maps books, Chalstrom's had 3 on the shelf yesterday, and Gander had a couple too. I think they were both $33 or so.