• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Reaper8

Opinion poll, Used or New for power auger?

Question

Reaper8

I am looking to buy my first power auger, I have seen the posts on here about auger problems but also want to get a good deal. Anyone have an opinion on new or used? Is it worth saving $150 or is there too much headache?

12 answers to this question

Johnny_Da_Der

i don't see a problem with used, but it all depends on the auger.

price, condition, etc...

remember if you buy a brand new auger today it's only gonna be new until its used. next year or the year after that, it's not gonna be any better than what you see on c-list. might even run a little better after being broken in.

it's like buying a car. you might just be paying for the new car smell and could save a ton of money by buying the last years model with 15,000 miles on it. might want to stay away from late eighties rust bucket with 285K on the odometer though.

eyebjim

Don't forget to check into factory reconditioned augers. You can save about $90.00. I just bought a 8" SM lazer recond last week. Works like new. Type in recondition auger into goggle.

guitarcher

I purchased my first power auger this year and looked for a used auger and opted to buy new. I think you can find a good auger and save a few bucks, if you are patient and don't mind driving to check them out, but I paid $300 out the door for a 2hp 8 inch Eskimo that works great, and has a warranty.

deadeye

I personally would do used. I dont see the point in getting a shiny new one when its going to get dinged up anyway. Plus if there was a problem with the auger, its likely to have been fixed.

The only advice I can give you is to make sure you can hear it run and possibly pop a couple holes with it before you buy it. You dont want to drop a bunch of money on a auger that someone has let the gas sit in for 2 years without running.

Reaper8

Good points! I appreciate the feedback, I just bought a Vexilar FL-8 SLT off CL and it works great. So we will see what I can find and I will definately check the reconditioned ones

Jiggem Up

I just purchased a used power auger off C-list and am very happy with it. It runs great. plus, it's got the old-school chipper blade so the blades are easier to keep sharp and in alignment...along with being cheaper to replace.

Big Dave2

Quite a few years ago I bought a brand new 3 hp jiffy auger that I had for 2 or 3 years that I could not get to ever run to my satisfaction. I found a deal on a used 2hp Strikemaster and have been using it ever since and it still starts and runs great.

Sandmannd

Bought a used Jiffy a couple of years ago and it served well. Bought a "demo" stikemaster at D-Rock for just over $300 last year and sold the Jiffy for $150 about $30 more than I paid for it. So it was nice to have that step in between. Got the job done, just not as fast or light as I wanted. But it split the cost for me over a couple of years anyway.

Jim Almquist

I sold my old model 30 Jiffy 9" last year when I got my Nils and it was 20 years old and I would bet with proper care it would go another 20. Proper care,good gas and a little TLC can make any auger last a long time so going used can be good but buy from someone you know or when you buy from a stranger look around and see if the person looks like they take care of there stuff.

snoozebutton

I bought a new one last spring on a close out special from Gander. If you can find a cheapy to get you through the winter and check on the close outs in the spring you can get some good deals. Then sell the cheapy next fall when the prices are higher.

BLACKJACK

I prefer to pay a little extra and get new, if I have problems, its still under warranty, and by buying new I know how its been cared for. I bought a new Strikemaster Lazermag 10 years ago and it runs like a charm, starts on the 3-4 pull every time, still cuts like mad. I run the gas out every spring and thats that. This was after buying a used auger from my brother, he had bought it at a garage sale, even after a $80 bill at a fix-it shop its still ran like doggy doo. For me, new is the way to go.

Northlander

Go new if you can afford it. I like having a bit of warranty if I have problems.