• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Hookey

I really enjoy using those mini "baitcaster type" reels and use them on all my ice rigs. A light rod and a mini reel are extremely sensitive and help detect light biters. Should a big fish strike you will be amazed how they increase your odds of landing them.

I set my drag extremely light and press my thumb on the spool to apply drag this way you can instantly apply and remove any amount of drag instantly. Spinning reels only give you one setting for drag and it can be tough to adjust the drag when the fight is on.

I have landed some pretty big slimers on light line and a ultra light rod as a result of having unlimited and instant control of the drag.

These reels are pretty cheap pick one up and give it a try.

Just remember to keep a small amount of thumb pressure on the spool when stripping line out to lower the bait. This will avoid overrunning the spool. (birds nest)

Also remember to keep firm pressure on the spool when setting the hook then the game is on !

Landing a big fish on a light rod and a mini casting reel is a blast ! Give one a try, once you get used to it you may not ever go back to using a spinning reel.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jigginjim
      would like to see a protected slot on bluegills, 10 to 12 inches go back. only one over 12 inches.
    • delcecchi
      Stands to reason that clogging up the dock at a public access would irritate people.  Most of those docks aren't very big.  That problem didn't occur to me.    
    • Jetsky
      PSU,   Fished the evenings last Th, Fr and Saturday.  The smaller side bays in Frazier with slip bobbers and leeches in about 8 ft of water at dusk. Thursday night my son and I caught 7 eaters.   Friday night the good news was that three of us boated about 30 walleyes.  Bad news was that only 6 were eaters.   All very small but they were really feeding in the warm shallower waters. Saturday night was very slow.  Just a few small ones.  I haven't been out the last three days. I've seen a few mayflys in Frazier Bay but no major hatching yet.
    • DonkeyHodey
      I can't help you with access, but I have a friend that regularly fishes stump and sagatagan--apparently the lakes are infested with norts and that's what he targets.  Lots of 2-5 pounders. (I suspect if you're targeting bass you'll end up catching mostly norts.)
    • BIGFISH.JZ
      It appears that most of the bass are off their beds on the deep clear lakes near Hackensack/Longville. I did see 1 smallie guarding the nest still. The winds have the minnows piled up on the NE corner and I'm sure the walleyes were there, but I struck out on my first lake (1 smallmouth). Only fished for eyes for a little over an hour in the morning darkness. As the sun was rising, I switched lakes and was excited when a decent smallmouth smoked my small wake bait as soon as it hit the water on my first cast on lake number 2. Ended up catching over a dozen around shallow rocks and deep cabbage before it was time to go to work. Didn't get much sleep last night, but it was well worth it!!
    • PSU
      Any recent fishing reports for Frazer/Smarts Bay area. Didn't fish much last weekend (maybe four hours), but it was REALLY slow for me. First time I haven't keep a keeper in quite some time. Depths, technique and bait choice would be welcomed! 
    • Grindstone29
      Fins - same for me yesterday.  Fished three hours in the evening last night.  Pretty big wind still at 7pm.  Caught 5 walleye (all dinks) and a northern.  I went out for two hours this morning, mainly graphing.  Stopped near Cranberry Island and caught one 15 inch for dinner.  Will go out again this evening for advanced scouting.  Big group coming up over the 4th of July and they are expecting to catch fish.  Maybe i'll have to reset expectations... 
    • Hoey
      I do not target smallies, but I do run across them when fishing shallow, rocky areas, typically along the shore and back in the small bays.  The ones we have caught were nice and strong, running from 19 to 21 inches.  Good Luck.
    • SkunkedAgain
      At least a decade ago, I was fishing in Head O Lakes west off Taylors Island when I got a heavy snag in 35ft. I kept pulling up what felt like a log until it appeared at the surface. It was the underwater power line that I think runs out to the island where everyone fishes muskies. I carefully unhooked my jig and let the line fall back into place in the lake.   I'll keep an eye out for your prop!
    • SkunkedAgain
      I called the Soudan Mine today and was told that you can't leave your boat at the landing in Stuntz Bay. She said that it was "strongly frowned upon" and that she wasn't aware of any way to boat to the mine. Maybe that will be something that happens in the future.