• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Stick in Mud

Do cameras affect the fish?

Stick in Mud

I've been hearing guys say that their catches of walleye are better when they don't have the camera down. I was skeptical myself, but this year it seems to be true...the two times we haven't had the camera, we've done significantly better than we did when we had it with.

I know that two experiences isn't a large enough sample to form any serious conclusions, but I'm curious if any of you have heard of this phenomenon, and also if any of you have actually experienced it.

Oil Can

Havent used my camera a lot but when I put it down it does'nt seem to affect the fish they just hang out do'ing fish stuff

I have the fish shaped camera

leech~~

carmike, I have had a camra for a few years now and I have never yet caught a Walleye with it down, I've caught just about everything else even a Pout with it down but never an eye. I've had a ton of eye's come by and look at a distance but they always turn tail. I even had a pike hit it once! I have heard that people with the fish cam do better so I have picked up a fish body to put on mine so it will be interesting the next time out to see what happens.

mniess

I am going to put some fake structure around mine and see what happens

Smails

It depends on how far the camera is from your lure. In lakes with good visibility I'll keep my camera 3 to 4 feet away with no impact to fishing (even caught an eye on Prior a few weeks ago with my camera down). However, in dark lakes, I've had to drill my camera hole within a foot of my fishing hole in order to see my lure and I think it makes the fish a little skittish. Aggressive fish still strike but fish on the fence always seem to pass.

leech~~

Smails, do you have the fish on the end or just the camra?

Who else has the fish or just the camra and how are you doing with getting eye's with whice end on it?. Leech ~~

minnesotatuff

i have an old OVS300? its very basic, just a small camera but had the best picture of three other makes when i got it. i dont fish with it using the infrared or lights. its probably 4-5' away from my jigging hole and lined up with my deadstick in the background so i can see both at the same time. i cant say if it affects walleyes or not but ive seen some fantastic views with it. one time fishing with a long time friend, we both were jigging raps w/minnow heads. it was his first time watching a camera. the classic thing happened that i bet has happened to a number of people who have cameras. a walleye came in just like jaws, mouth open wide and on attack going right for his bait. he got buck fever while watching the whole thing and set the hook before the walleye hit it....hahahaha. it still makes me laugh to think about it.

regards,

minnesotatuff

catchamefish

Camera down ='s slim chances on walleye. Great for perch.

my opinion

nater

I was out on Mille Lacs the other day and had the camera down for the afternoon until evening and then pulled it up. We saw walleyes taking minnows on camera with no hesitation. Even had one walleye swim just below the camera, you could see its dorsal fin go by.

I would say if you move it then yes it might spook them but I use a camera compass so its motionless. I wouldn't use it at night with my LED light on, don't think that would help the fishing, MHO.