• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey out there to all vex owners, just thinking about buying one and would like some imput from some owners. What size should a person buy? there is a price dif. but would a 8 be just as good as a 20 I mean i know a 20would be better but to those who own what size would you recommend? Any imput would be greatly appreciated thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

crue86, money is always the dividing line. Buy what you can aford, there are a lot of used ones on C/List for sale. But the FL-8 is the same as the FL-12 but only the 12 has the flat screen. Just as the FL-18 is the same as the FL-20 but the 20 has the flat screen. They all have the same watt's of power, but the FL-18 & 20 have the zoom. I had an Fl-8 and just went to the FL-18 and it works very nice. Good luck on your choice!

I have been a flasher user since the days of the green box. I am faithfull purchaser and re-purchaser of the fl-8 series. Recently I upgraded to the FL-12 and then now to the FL-20.

I use these units in my boat during the summer months. So, they are versitile.

fl-8. A great unit. The fl-8s have minor draw backs. it was apparant from the 1st time I used my fl-12 out sidewhen it was snowing where the draw back of the fl-8 came to lite. Thats the only one single draw back. the snow accumulates in the recess of the face.

The flat face of the 12 series is good. the flat face no recess area to trap snow. The brightness of the signal. Nice and brite.

The fl-20. I got it only because of the zoom feature. If you fish the bottom for walleye or perch, and bottom hugging gills then you will quickly appreciate the zoom feature. I fish crappies but have taken to walleye and perch to add versatility to my fishing challenge.

All three are great units. The basic fl-8 with the blue box and battery is great starter unit. The price rapidly increases as you up grade styles of bells and whistles. But the result of the units ability to detect fish is no different with the exception of the zoom on the fl-20.

I have not tried any other brands of flashers. I have heard comments on the new hummingbird. Sounds cool with the larger flat screen. I have to add, I have heard the next evolution the Vexialr units will close out the 8 series and go completly to the flat sceen of the 12 and 20's though a bit larger.

The vex is a proven bullit proof unit regardless of which series. depends on how fat your wallet is, your fishing style and if your a crappie guy, gill guy or walleye guy.

I know the 12 and 20 have low power setting for fishing weeds in the winter.

check out other comments I am sure that will follow. I might have missed somthing here but using my Vex.... I don't miss seeing the fish below.

I have been fl-8 user ever since they came out I mean my unit is ancient but it still works great. In my opinion you get what you pay for but I will not jig without a vex its just no fun it will increase your fish catching a bunch. good luck you cant make a bad choice.

I say start with a FL-8 for a starter unit. You can pick up a used unit for around 125 to 150 bucks, depends on the condition. Otherwise if you are in for a new unit I'll say start with a Fl-12 if yu mostly fish crappies and gills, with a few wallies.

Fl-20 is nice but 12 is about as good with out the zoom. They both have flat screen and that's a great feature compare to 8 and 18.

Hope that helps.

J.

I upgraded my FL 8 to the FL 18 a couple years ago, both have been good units. The recessed face doesn't bother me, its not that often I fish outside in the snow. The bottom lock feature on the FL 18 is nice if you're fishing bottom hugging fish like walleyes but if you're on a budget, a FL 8 will work just fine. On a deeper lake where there might be crappies coming thru beyond the range of the bottom lock, I switch it over to Normal and its just fine. Good luck!

Thanks all for the info guys. J, do you sell any and if so what do you have on hand. Shoot me a e-mail at [email protected]. Let me know what you have and price wise. I think i will get a 12 or 20 just because of the flat screen i will wait for your e-mail

I'd probably go for the 20 now that it's out but don't forget they do make the mag shield to cover the 18 so nothing gets in there. I have heard yo need to be careful with the flat screen because it scratches. So a protective covering for that should be bought at the same time.

I was 40 miles away from home on my way fishing. I looked in my back seat and realized that i forgot my fl-18. I turned around to go get it. I won't go fishing without it.

I bought a 20 last year and I love it. Had a 8 before and also loved it. My buddy uses a marcom and he said he will never go back to a vex. Not I though, I love the vex. Go and see Brad at 71 bait, and tell him skinny sent ya.

I prefer the Marcum lineup myself. Vexilar and Humminbird make great units also. Whatever you choose will work. Go check them all out and see what you like best. It would be nice for guys to see them all in action and then be able to choose. Hard to find a group of guys that fish together but all have different units.

thanks everyone i did get a fl 12 pro pack had out once last sat. not much luck but i think it was where we were. Hey Koonie, if you are who i think you are i graduated with ya, were do you go fishing usally (i was one of the wild boys) haha... i recently moved to benson so maybe we could hook up some weekend if your out and about, you could probaly teach me a few things ice fishin

Yeah it's me. The one and only.

I fish LQP quite a bit. Also, Minnewaska and the Willmar area lakes.

Stop in to DJs in Monte and we'll figure out a little fishing excursion.

i will try to, but unfortunatly i don't get that way two often, the last time was when i bought those hunting pants for my boy ( he loved them) and we only went that way because we had a funeral to go to. If you ever going to minnewaska Let me know and if it works we can hook up and give it a try. I live in benson now so my number is 320-894-3924