• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

has anybody been on any of the lake trout lakes,if so whats the ice thickness,i've got the itch and can't wait till opener

also if anybody is interested i am always looking for someone to fish with,trout,walleye or any thing else that swims,i have a two up sled and a fishtrapX4 so always plenty of room

if anybody is interested in lakers on the opener let me know

VL,will be out opener also and could go out some time, have the same set up.

Drove by Caribou today- not a track on it. Its gonna be a work out this year.Gotta dust off the snowshoes.

TIM O

snowshoes? i guess i'm not that energetic,plus i have no snowshoes. i guess i'll have to make a run up there with the sled and pack down a trail to my favorite spots or maybe if its too bad i'll have to buck up and get a pair of snowshoes

Gary,

With the way the trout lakes around here freeze up late, I'm guessing they will all hav a ton of slush on them. I'm planning on getting out next Thursday and will post up a report that night, unless it' really cold. I'm betting on snowshoes this year.

Brian

i heard from a fairly reliable source caribou and a couple others didn't freeze till after that first big snow, maybe theres hope after all

My parents live a few miles south of Caribou. I will check caribou and some of the pits around rapids for snow, slush and ice depths. I will post the results on monday morning.

Hoytmystic

looking for someone who is serious about lakers to fish with, i dont think my 4 wheeler has the balls to git r done 4 me this year so preferably someone with a sled or someone who is man enuf to help pull gear out on bluewater and maybe burntside, im no city slicker and im serious about about catching 20lb lakers in northern mn and i do know where to catch them, serious inquires only.

Lee Lane (218) 743-6365

welcome to FM Muskyhunter218. Januaryis kinda messed up for me for troutin. Most of my trout fishin is done out of the area,but a few day of fishin around GR is a good thing to do. I'll get in touch when i get time to jerk some trouts.

I went out on sunday to check some of the area lakes with Troy Fideldy. We drove into Caribou and found that the gate was opened and the road had been plowed about 200 feet further than the gate. So parking should be better. The bad news is that every lake we have been on or looked at had large amounts of slush. There has been nobody on Caribou with a snowmobile.

Troy and I checked a similar lake just to the south of Caribou. We drill several holes and found the ice was a about 12 inches with 12 inches of water coming up through the hole.

I would recommend everyone to wear a good pair of knee boots with snowshoes.

Between the bitter temps and the slush it could lead to a tough trout season.

Troy had today off and he was going to check some of the local mine pits. So look for his report.

Good luck

Hoytmystic

thanks hookset, was hoping to get a friend of mine all bent out of shape but i guess hes sick of me hassleing him about being from the city...being a muskie guide in northern minnesota i had some theorys that northern minnesota had all the best fishermen but onece i started fishing tourneys i found out quick that theres some city boys that can really fish so dont take er too hard city guys. as for trout fishing we had awesome fishing on bluewater last 2 yrs but that seems to fizzle out quick after the first few weeks then you just watch fish chase baits all over the water column on your sonar. then i start hitting up burntside and snowbank, i like it alot more fishing up there therfes alot of structure and alot of big lakers to be caught there. people claim its a hard lake to get fish to bite on but id much ratere put my work in for a chance at a giant than catch a little shaker on buckeye that just got stocked earlier in the fall. Of the 2 20lb lakers ive caught and most of my other ones have came from 25 feet or shallower and most people i see think they got to fish in 60 ft of water. case in point 25lb laker on burnt side last march came from a rock hump in 13ft of water!!

i know im going to hear all the debate but thats my expierence and i catch all of my big lakers in shallow water , in fact ive never caught a laker deeper than 40 ft. go figure

Musky,

I fished Buckeye last year and only managed small lakers, although had action each time out. I am planning on going to G.R. this weekend and thinking about Hitting the pit again? What is a big fish out of the pit 4-7 lbs? Do you know if Pit has slush? Any baits you would recommend? I would like to try Bluewater but currently don't know if it will happen this weekend, as I don't think that I will have an entire day to fish, as not all the group going up this weekend are big fishermen. Any advice you can provide is appreciated. I likeyl may have a couple of sleds available to venture out.

Weissguy

Weissguy, The Canisteo Complex is a changing pit. Water keeps raising every year. Roughly 10 years ago my group, guys traveling from south dakota, used to stick 5-9lb fish regularly. Even had fish over 20+lb on the line. We had outtings where we had to return fish back cause we had our fish. Then the fishing crashed and catching a laker was an accomplishment. For a few years catching just one trout seemed impossible. Now today small fish seem to be the only thing biting. My friends do not even come up fishing anymore, cause it was so poor. There has been talk that this was caused by a smelt population crash.

I plan on checking the condition of the pit tomorrow. As of now my bro told me he had rode on his sled by the pit last week and the buckeye landing had yet to be plowed and no sleds had been on pit. I will check both landings and near to landing ice conditions. If anyone has reports on ice conditions post them.

The sever cold looks like it may put a damper on things.

troyfideldy,

Thanks for the info regarding the decline in fish at pit. I only got a taste of some success there and have always looked to repeat. I look forward to your update on the pit access and ice conditions.

On another note, have you fished Prairie? any walleye success?

I have not fished the lake much, but a few walleyes are taken during the summer by neighbors to my inlaws, but I don't hear much regarding winter walleyes.

Thanks,

Some more info regarding the pit: The DNR has been putting ciscos in there the last two years to reintroduce a viable forage base for those lakers to feed on.

Good to hear from you rollz. Just went to check out the pit access. The Buckeye landing (summer landing) is a no go. There has been no trucks down to the access and the snow was too deep for me. Had to turn around on the snowmobile trail. Would not recommend trying to use this access unless one parks on the tar and rides sleds in.

Proceeded to check out the main lake canisteo landing. THANK YOU!!!! to who ever plowed this landing open. The road was plowed good except from the massive heaves in the road. There was a couple small areas plowed out to park and narrowly turn a trailer around. On the lake some one was nice enough to plow off an area on the ice with a wheeler. The snow must have been slush since the area is very rough but frozen solid. I drilled a hole off to the side of the landing to check ice conditions and there was 13" of ice where it was plowed off. The main lake at one time had been all slush, but probaly is all frozen solid now. No sled traffic was visible across the ice so use caution if venturing out.

Thanks, for the update Troy. Is the main access that you are speaking of the one way back approx. 1.5 miles back past the big tailing pile that the jeeps climb in the summer? Kind of in a back bay / bowl?