• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
MNfishtrapper

Calhoun, Harriet, Isles, Nocomis Ect.

MNfishtrapper

Any info for the MNPLS city lakes? Been meaning to head to them lately. Are we permitted to drive on them??? I know gas motors are prohibited in the summer.

sanka

You can't drive on Calhoun or Harriet. I'm thinking of heading out on Calhoun again soon. Got a bunch of perch last time, but not the tiny bait stealers, around 8". I'm hoping for Walleye this time.

Fresh fish

Caught a 16" walleye out on harriet on the east side. Parked over by humboldt and 47th I think? Walked straight out and was in about 25 feet of water. Hit it right after sun down. Other than that though it was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal slow.

SkunkedAgain

All of the Minneapolis lakes are off limits to any type of vehicle or gas motor. The only thing allowed are gas augers.

MNfishtrapper

Well thats a releif at least! Ok with not driving. It holds the fishing pressure down and wont spook the fish as much maybe. I'll have to give it a go! 8" perch are nice!

MNfishtrapper

Well thats a releif at least! Ok with not driving. It holds the fishing pressure down and wont spook the fish as much maybe. I'll have to give it a go! 8" perch are nice!

Johnny_Da_Der

Is there an echo in here?

YODEL-AYEE-OOOO.........

Johnny_Da_Der

.......yodel-ayee-oooo-ayee-oooo-ayee-oooo

Guess So! grin

Wallmaster

I wonder if you could use an electric four weel drive vehicle like one of the large kid ones, I wonder if it would be strong enough to haul a small fish house and a little gear, their wasn't alot of snow when I was out their yesterday. grin

Johnny_Da_Der

i think it goes for all motorized vehicles, not sure though. A lot of those lakes have parking areas all over rather than just at the launch, which would cut down the walking time.

hot seat

Was on on Calhoun last night. Lots of 8-9 in perch, no eyes. Water is really clear, could see the bottom at 19 fow. Saw a nice muskie swim through.

guitarcher

Was on the NW part of the lake twice last week: Caught a bunch of perch and 1 small walleye right at dark. Missed a really nice fish too.

sanka

Was on the NE side last night. No hits, but a huge bald eagle landed in front of me about 100 yds out.

goblueM

what you getting the perch on? I fished Calhoun last year and only got the cigar sized perch, 5-6" tops. Excited to go exploring around the lake now that my vexilar is working

sanka

When I got into them early in the week I was using a little 1" black and silver jigging Rapala.

Big Hit

Fished Harriet afternoon/last night on the east side and got into some crappies in 9 to 15 feet of water. The flasher was marking fish nearly all night, although getting them to take the bait was tricky at times.

Any suggestions for a good starting spot on Calhoun? I haven't fished it. Usually just go to Harriet since it's only a couple blocks away.

sanka

I've had luck just right out from the boat ramp. There's plenty of structure on the NW side too.

hot seat

Was on Nokomis last night. Lots of small crappies with a few 9" mixed in in 15 fow. One 16" eye as well. The water clarity is still a bit green but not to bad.

Big Hit

Thanks. I'm going to try and get out there this weekend/early next week.

goblueM

Tons of structure on Calhoun - out from the boat ramp is good, also near the channel to Lake of the Isles, although pretty much anywhere with structure and weeds is a good bet

guitarcher

We caught the perch on anything from small teardrops to med sized jigging sppons all tipped with a minnow in 20-24 FOW. We were targeting walleyes, but when the perch come thru they bite. Also helped to glow your jigs closer to dusk. Don't get too excited about the perch though, they were only 6-7 inchers and all went back. It's nice to have the action; just hoping to get some bigger fish.

erickol

Big Hit,

I am also a couple blocks away from Harriet (west side), and for the same reason I fish Harriet more than Calhoun. I forced my self to fish Calhoun last week and Cedar twice this week. I fished the west side of Calhoun off of the steep break and drilled near twenty holes to closely follow the drop and weedline. This area I would like to experiment more and at varying times of day......

If you want to double team a few spots on Harriet or Calhoun let me know. I have an older but serviceable 8"jiffy, so I make lots of holes and hole hop with the Marcum. I should have my buddy's old portable sometime soon, but mostly go very light. I mostly target gills and crappies for C&R (on the city lakes)

if anyone else is game, drop me a line. I have lived within spitting distance of the Harriet and Calhoun for over 20yrs, and only began to fish them during hard water last year........ (I fish them very frequently during open water though)

[email protected]

Big Hit

That sounds good. I'm using the same approach, older auger and drill lots of holes. I've been fishing out of my ground blind, but it would get pretty tight with two people. I don't mind braving the elements either.

I'm out of town today but will get in touch and look forward to it.

goblueM

Anybody out on Calhoun today? Seemed quiet, there were 2 blue portables on the west side, a blue portable by the channel to Isles, and as I was leaving some guys in blaze orange by the boat landing.

awkwardjim

I've fished Calhoun a few times and have had the best luck on the West side off the breaks. Best times seem to be before and after dusk... nothing of size though. Mostly little eye's. try experimenting w different jig and bait combos- maybe that would entice bigger fish