• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

News story from kstp website

CrappieFshr651

SHERIFF: Don't leave valuables in fish houses

Don't just lock up your fish houses; take your valuables with you.

That's the advice from the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office after 11 fish houses were broken into on Lake Minnetonka early Wednesday.

A fish house owner discovered the break-ins around 11:30 a.m. The houses, all of which were about 100-yards from shore in Lower Lake North, had their door's pried open and windows broken.

According to officials, the structures sustained damage and numerous items including a flat screen television, stereo, and fishing equipment. Property damage and losses are estimated at $7,000.

In Sherburne County, officials issued a similar alert after five houses on Clear Lake were burglarized and hundreds of dollars worth of gear was stolen.

Items were also taken from four fish houses in Palmer Township in late December. Those thefts cost anglers in the thousands.

Anyone with information on the Lake Minnetonka thefts is asked to contact the department at (888) 988-TIPS.

I'd like to catch someone doing this, i'd shove their head down a hole.

Yep.

Couple years ago guy on a snowmobile drove up to my perm on Mille Lacs when I was away. Houses occupied by others in our group only 100' away. He stood on his seat and was attempting to get up to the window when my Father-in-law scared him away. The next weekend one of the other houses got hit. Of all things, they took his little lead clip on depth finders! Left the TV and Auger. Wierd.

I'd tie a rope to their leg and drag them with the truck on the rough ice and maybe a few kicks to the groin till the sheriff shows up.

Hahahah that is good. Hopefully it's some nice frozen over crunchy slush too, that's the worst.

why would you leave anything of value in a perm? I could see leaving a heater but why leave anything that can be taken down easily. My rule is, never leave anything there that you would miss if it was gone.

Why anyone would leave a flat screen TV in a perm is beyond me. That's just asking for trouble. Maybe you can do that in outstate MN, but unfortunately theft is a reality in a metro area, and happens every year.

i think some of the stuff is custom built into the house. If it were mine I'd bring it home EVERY night (wheel house). Way too expensive to leave on the ice with all the people willing to break in and steal. And the collateral damage they cause (broken doors cut locks etc.) makes it even worse! If it's just a perm then I'd definitly empty it before I left.

ole

It's pretty sad you can't have a fish house sitting on a lake and let it be left alone. These scum get real old, go out and buy if you need it, none of this stuff is that expensive. That being said, I don't leave anything in a perm.

No matter where you are fishing never leave anything of value. There is punks every where not just in the metro area. Go to any of area forums and at least once a year there is talk of theft. I dont want to rip a guy that lost thousands of dollars but what do you except leaving a flat screen in you ice house. He probably had a dish on the roof with bat signal for all the punks to bust into his house.

Mark

Yep. I pull my wheel house home after ever outing.

I got hit couple times for small items in the past. Ie tip ups, tools, some tackle.Never left nothing that I couldnt afford to loose.Even kept some signs in the windows" nothing of value is left in the fishhouse while unattended.The lock are to keep honest people out , not thievies, Please respect other peoples property and happy fishing" and I would leave it out.Most of my problem were at Bald Eagle.

Then I started having issues with them trying to steal the entire wheel house, with a wheel & hitch lock on it. So now I just bring her home. Believe it or not...some one tryed to steel it from my yard last year.

Now i worrie more about someone just plan ol damaging it...

sorry 4 the spelling

b safe

Just Me

A couple of years ago I came out of my house in St. Paul to find my hub caps off and a couple of cement blocks from the neighbors next to my tires. Someone tried to steal the tires off my pickup. The lady that lived next door told me she heard something in the middle of the night and looked out her window and yelled at a couple of guys. They took off running. I hate theives!

with chaffmj's post, I had people try to steal my stock taillights out of a standard chev 1500. In the middle of the night my lab was going nuts at the window, so I decided to get up and take a look. Here were two guys that had my tailgate down, and were trying to take my taillights out. I made my dog be quiet,loaded my shot gun with target load and took him to the front door. I opened the door, and my dog took after the two guys like they were squirrels. He would never hurt a fly, but he really wanted a piece of these guys. They were trying to kick at him to get him away. I fired a shot in the air, and yelled your $%#@^&* with the wrong mutha $%^%#$. I havent had a problem since. That being said, before I get any criticism on this forum. I immediately called the police and explained everything that happened. They came to my house to look at the "crime scene". The officers saw an obvious attempt at theft. He just politely asked if I would try to refrain from firing my gun unless under serious threat.

P.S I live in Brooklyn center. everyone else is strapped I might as well be too.