• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Access Fees

Paul Waldowski

After reading all of the posts on this forum regarding access fees, road passes and such, I thought that I would throw in my 2 cents and go down in flames frown

1. In a year like this if resorts didn't plow roads nobody would be going anywhere unless it was by Sled.

2. In a year like this, if you decide to go out of a public access and get stuck, you will be stuck!!!!, with a $50 + tow bill from being pulled out. It's not a matter of if, just when!

3. To the gentleman that posted the idea of the Wheelhouse owners banding together and plowing their own road.......

In a year like this you will need a minimum of 5 plow trucks, I'm not talking about 5 trucks that are used to plow out parking lots, I'm talking about serious, beefed up, re-inforced, full-blown V plows, with frames plated and cut-off short, etc.

In a year like this, expect to spend a minimum of $1500 per month in fuel

In a year like this, expect to spend minimum of $6000 per month in parts and repair just to keep your plow trucks running.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, nor am I trying to show anybody up, just putting the facts out there.

For anyone that wants a chance to dispute the facts, feel free to give me a call. The passenger seat in my plow truck is always open and I would love to have someone to help dig me out of the slush. smile

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Waldowski

• Charries

• Swill

• eyebjim

But Paul I was going to use my atv and plow for the road then if I did get stuck the wheeler is there to pull me out. grin

Na, I'll just pay the fee and cut down on the snacks. Beside it goes to a great service and to some really great people.

croix,

Funny!!!! I got a call the other night around 10pm from a gentleman that ran his bomber/trailgroomer/all-tracked vehicle out of the public access and became hopelessly mired down around 100 yards from our road. He wanted to know how soon I could get there frown

Look at the bright side after the 751st person buys a road pass that month you just made $10 lol Oh I forgot you have to pay the drivers and help to.

I never realized how much work it is to keep those roads clear until we stayed @ Appeldoorns over New Years. The wind was horrible, and the driveways kept drifintg shut. Paul and his crew worked many many hours keeping the roads and driveways clean, checking on people in his fish houses, and then refueling and repairing trucks and equipment. I really don't know when he gets time to sleep.

I really appreciate what these guys do out there - and I have absolutely no problem paying an access fee if it means that I can fish longer, and not spen my time digging out the Jeep (or the Tundra). winkwink

I never realized how much work it is to keep those roads clear until we stayed @ Appeldoorns over New Years. The wind was horrible, and the driveways kept drifintg shut. Paul and his crew worked many many hours keeping the roads and driveways clean, checking on people in his fish houses, and then refueling and repairing trucks and equipment. I really don't know when he gets time to sleep.

I really appreciate what these guys do out there - and I have absolutely no problem paying an access fee if it means that I can fish longer, and not spen my time digging out the Jeep (or the Tundra). winkwink

Or the the orange Ford Escape with the ATV trailer on the back. I have also have a new respect for the resort owners and what they do by plowing the roads on the big pond. Sure they do it to get their rentals out to make money, but after the conditions I have seen so far this winter I really don't see how they break even let alone make a profit. Kudo's to you guys, and you will see me using plowed roads and gladly paying the access fees on any lake that has them. I may be able to walk on frozen water, but the ATV can't handle the deep snow and slush. See ya later today Paul.

Its just like any bussiness he has lots of overhead, to the people who think they can do it on there own with a regular plow truck try it you will be stuck. Paul and the other resorts should be charging more to people when we get winters like this they work there ... off to keep roads open for us.

So what does Paul charge for a wheel house pass for one night?? I want to bring the wife and kids up next week.

Its usually not the ones who are up to the pond each weekend. its the guy that goes fishing 1-3 times a year that doesnt get the big picture...

Buddie Paul, keep the dream going brother.. Save a spot for me to pass out again on my birthday. 8-)

Paul, I wouldn't worry about going down in flames. After these so called experts on snow plowing found out what it's like to have to replace axles, 4-wheel drive units, u-joints, and so on in the cold so they could go fishing, I would hope that they would realize that the $10 (what I paid last year to go out from your place) to get on for the day or whatever you charge for a season pass it's a loosing battle for them to do it themeselves. I for one will never dispute what you charge to get on the lake without worry of getting stuck as long as you stick to the roads. IMO it's well worth the money.

You resort guys are lucky there are 24 hours in a day because you have to work 23 of them to make a decent living.

Paul,

Thanks for all you guys do. I will be comming up on friday and happily paying the access fee.

Hopefully the eyes are biting.

Good post. I was up already during that 12 inch snow and we were all out by our lonesome on the mud. Had 4 trucks so we made it in, but not without beating the heck out of them.

A guy in our fishing crew does run a one ton w/chains and big beefed up V-plow truck so I know how much work it is. Two days after the 12 inches when it snowed and wind blew we plowed roads in that rig till 11:30 and that was just to get our houses dug out to the main road.

It takes work, I gladly pay whatever is asked to the resorts, but still like to be treated fairly and friendly. Most do.

After reading all of the posts on this forum regarding access fees, road passes and such, I thought that I would throw in my 2 cents and go down in flames frown

1. In a year like this if resorts didn't plow roads nobody would be going anywhere unless it was by Sled.

2. In a year like this, if you decide to go out of a public access and get stuck, you will be stuck!!!!, with a $50 + tow bill from being pulled out. It's not a matter of if, just when!

3. To the gentleman that posted the idea of the Wheelhouse owners banding together and plowing their own road.......

In a year like this you will need a minimum of 5 plow trucks, I'm not talking about 5 trucks that are used to plow out parking lots, I'm talking about serious, beefed up, re-inforced, full-blown V plows, with frames plated and cut-off short, etc.

In a year like this, expect to spend a minimum of $1500 per month in fuel

In a year like this, expect to spend minimum of $6000 per month in parts and repair just to keep your plow trucks running.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, nor am I trying to show anybody up, just putting the facts out there.

For anyone that wants a chance to dispute the facts, feel free to give me a call. The passenger seat in my plow truck is always open and I would love to have someone to help dig me out of the slush. smile

What... There are actually people complaining about access fees...

this is my first year not on Mille Lacs... And I can tell you... I'd be happy to pay an access fee on the lake I'm on, just for the safety and security of having someone look out for you...

Not to mention having a road you know is safe.

It is not even the looking out for you. It is the covenience and money you will save by not wrecking equipment. I blew the tranny on my truck up there. I wish I had not been so aggressive with it!

Fish are biting OK, but a person needs to have a plow, sled, or stay near roads to get around.

Good luck out there everyone and stay safe. Always have another truck with you if you decide to venture OFF ROAD! A shovel and yank rope are also a good idea.

Thanks for posting Paul. The more facts and logic we can bring into this ongoing debate the better.

Paul, where can I sign up to get into the snowplowing business? I can see by your post that it is definitley a money maker......LOOOOL. Man I knew you guys had some expenses but the breakdown was a real eye opener. Kudo's to you and all the resorts that bust their butts so we can sit on ours... Bill

Paul, I dont say too much on here but this deserves a thanks for the great post, hope the "do it yourselfers" realize the work and effort that it takes to make an enjoyable outing on the "big girl". Cudos to all who plow and dig so we can jig. be safe and stay warm.

Paul,

I plow on the parkinglots and driveways, and i have no ambition to do it on the lake. You folks do a great job to make sure all of your customers are safe and happy.

You sure have that right about the repairs in the plowing business, nothing is cheap.

I'll be back on Saturday morning after i finish plowing here at home...and yes, i'm leaving the plow at home. grin

Keep up the good work.

I just want some constistancy and big bold numbers posted up front on what the fees are and such. I have heard horror stories in the past about the actions of a few resorts out there and quite frankly, it makes me leary to even come up there. Guys sitting out on the ice to trap people who might cross over "their" road in order to get them to pay. Resorts plowing in fish houses because you are in "their" area and you didn't go out of their access.

Is it $15-$20 per day or $15-$20 every time you use the actual access point? Sometimes you hear a different cost from different people at the same resort!

I for one will only use the resorts that are sponsors of this site as I have heard nothing but good things and good reports from them.

I have heard horror stories in the past about the actions of a few resorts out there and quite frankly, it makes me leary to even come up there. Guys sitting out on the ice to trap people who might cross over "their" road in order to get them to pay. Resorts plowing in fish houses because you are in "their" area and you didn't go out of their access.

Anyone can tell a good story. And for every story told, there is always another side that is untold. grin $10 is WAY cheap and I think we should all be thankful that it's not more.

Parking at a Metrodome event, for a few hours, cost more than using the ice roads all day! Sounds like a bargain to me for the service resorts like Appeldoorn's provide. I usally have my sons along and wait until Paul says it's safe. That type of trust level about our safety is priceless, to me.

Paul, I have always respected your advise and position here and will continue to do so. [Note from admin: edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you]

I have never had a problem paying an access fee no matter where I go and am very grateful for this type of service. Although I do not own a wheel fish house I do see a discrimination of sorts as to the elevated fee's passed on to these that do.

Good Luck...

I have been up to the resort a few times now and it is amazing. When a guy comes in at 3:30 in the morning and needs to pull the boat out of the water, who is there waiting on the tractor with your trailer in the water so you can just drive right on? I can attest to this as I have been in the boat driving on the trailer well into the pre-dawn hours.

"Somebody get that four wheeler!"

Quote:
Paul, I have always respected your advise and position here and will continue to do so.[Note from admin: edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Scupper,

Thank you for that.

The resort business is unlike a lot of other businesses. Basically you have to make enough money in a 6 month period to pay the bills for a 12 month period

You know it’s very simple, if you don’t care for the fees or services offered, steer clear, or stay home.

We live in a Capitalistic society, and the owners of the access can charge whatever they want. If that happens to be more for wheelhouses so be it. They have every right to do it. Supply and Demand.

It shouldn’t matter in the very least how much (or how little for that matter) the access owners is making or spending. If you feel it is worth the $, then you will spend it, if not, you will go somewhere else. Like I said it’s all very simple. The price is the fair market, because if it is not, there will always be someone out there willing to do it for less.

When it comes to Paul and Appeldoorns specifically, he goes way over the top making sure people are happy. Do you really think it’s a dream job not even being able to go out and eat with a few friends because you keep getting interrupted by Random Joes getting stuck out on the lake? Not even clients, but random people needing help.

I will always put Appeldoorns at the top of my recommend list. I’ve seen first hand the hard work Paul puts into his “dream job” and I have no doubts that people will enjoy their stay.

I can assure you that for the few unhappy people there are a hundred more to counter that argument.

Thanks for the job you peolple do on Mille Lacs. I do not fish up there alot, but when I do I am sure not going to complain about paying a fee, I have been through a few storms up there and I believe I would have spent alot of time shoveling and walking to get out if it wasn't for the resorts owners "paving the way". Like stated before I also use to plow snow for a living and the pain in the keister it was on dry land with busting equipment, fuel costs, paying workers, etc...

I could not imagine what it is to plow on ice worrying about the above issues, plus working around ice heaves, dealing with placing bridges over pressure ridges and the dreaded cold water swim.

Thanks to the owners for doing what you are doing.

Paul, cannot wait for a couple of weeks to fish at your resort.

Mark

I fully believe resorts deserve every cent of the money they get for creating and maintaining roads, and I'll gladly pay anything within reason--heck sometimes even beyond reason--to cross through a resort's property and use their access road on Mille Lacs. I get it. It's simply the right thing to do.

That all said, I'm genuinely curious of something and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me: What do we know about the legality of resorts enforcing road fees on public lakes?

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question, but it would seem that--strictly legally speaking--resorts don't have a leg to stand on in terms of making people pay who access the lake elswhere but use their roads.

I don't mean to stir the pot any more than it's already been stirred. Rather, I'm suggesting that if laws were more clearly defined a lot of conflicts could be avoided.