• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duey's decoys

Fish&Fowl

I don't know how many of you guys use Duey's Decoys, but I'm sure most of you have at least heard of them. I just wanted to share a little bit of information about Duey with you all. A couple years ago, we had him up to our spear house on Rainy Lake. He really had a good time, and later that year my dad sent him a picture of a 38" 23 lb. pig with a Duey decoy in his mouth. Duey sends a decoy to anyone who sends him a picture of a 17+ lb. fish with a Duey decoy in its mouth. Since we knew him a little bit, he sent us a box full of brand new decoys.

Just last week, we sent him another picture of a 20 lb. fish my buddy speared that he is going to have mounted. Duey sent a letter and 4 more decoys, saying how much he appreciated getting our photos. Anyways, I just wanted to let you guys know you should really try some of his decoys if you never have. They swim great and really do bring in some big fish. We have seen 3 fish at the 20 lb. mark just this year.

Good luck with the rest of the harpooning season!!

Nice job on harpooning those big pike.

Do they really taste good?

I wonder how many years it takes to grow a 17+ pound pike?

I heard today Duey was supposed to go in for knee surgery and might be laid up for awhile. He does have a lot of decoys stocked up tho. I think I still have a couple from back in the 80’s if I didn’t let my nephews use them. Congrats on the big pike!

Nice job on harpooning those big pike.

Do they really taste good?

I wonder how many years it takes to grow a 17+ pound pike?

Don't ask me! We've actually been passing all the big ones except for the 20# for the wall and 15# yesterday because it was my buddy's second time out ever. I imagine in our fishery a 17-pound fish would be 13-15 years old...old enough to be left alone by my spear!

I have a few of dueys decoys and they are awsome they swim great they are great for agressive decoying

laska I bought mine in a bait store in Remer but I'm sure that they are around the bait stores in and around the cities?

where can I get one of those? I want one! seriously...

They sell them at the Fleet Farm by me.

I was there today buying a pike colored Bear Creek decoy. I read about your good luck with yours and then saw ShamAlex's video..... Sold!

Fish + Fowl-

Do you have a fovorite color or model of Duey's?

I got 2 of his decoys this past year; a pink rainbow trout pattern (7" ?) and a bigger one (9" ?) that looks like a jumbo perch. Both have rattles. I haven't used them much but the fish seem to like the trout better. I'm excited to try the jumbo perch on LOTW this weekend.

Huey

Baked & stuffed UUMMMMM, I try to do one every year over 12 or not at all.Just like eyes I had to keep one over 9 it was much better than the 16-19 inch.

I don't know how many of you guys use Duey's Decoys, but I'm sure most of you have at least heard of them. I just wanted to share a little bit of information about Duey with you all. A couple years ago, we had him up to our spear house on Rainy Lake. He really had a good time, and later that year my dad sent him a picture of a 38" 23 lb. pig with a Duey decoy in his mouth. Duey sends a decoy to anyone who sends him a picture of a 17+ lb. fish with a Duey decoy in its mouth. Since we knew him a little bit, he sent us a box full of brand new decoys.

Just last week, we sent him another picture of a 20 lb. fish my buddy speared that he is going to have mounted. Duey sent a letter and 4 more decoys, saying how much he appreciated getting our photos. Anyways, I just wanted to let you guys know you should really try some of his decoys if you never have. They swim great and really do bring in some big fish. We have seen 3 fish at the 20 lb. mark just this year.

Good luck with the rest of the harpooning season!!

Seems like a very nice guy. I have not been able to meet him myself, but i have a few of his decoys that i have used. Goes to show that he is looking out for his customer base

Fish + Fowl-

Do you have a fovorite color or model of Duey's?

I got 2 of his decoys this past year; a pink rainbow trout pattern (7" ?) and a bigger one (9" ?) that looks like a jumbo perch. Both have rattles. I haven't used them much but the fish seem to like the trout better. I'm excited to try the jumbo perch on LOTW this weekend.

Huey

We always seem to have our best luck on brighter colors due to the stained water of Rainy Lake. Red & white has always been the #1 producer, but we also have good luck on pike patterns, chartruse/red, and perch colors. Many times a bigger decoy = bigger fish, and we stick to 8-12" decoys the majority of the time. I personally have a hard time sticking with the same decoy for more than 15 min. at a time unless it's really bringing them in.

Another thing I like about his decoys is the addition of a spinner blade to the tail. It adds a lot of flash and vibration and really seems to seal the deal at times. We add blades or double twister tails to all our dekes.

merkman,

Interesting graph on the fish age...I will have to look into that!

I know this may get deleted but it seems that SKEETS comes to the spearing forum with an agenda. If he does not appreciate the fine art of sitting in a spear shack why does he come on here & question someone spearing a 17# fish. I don't agree with everything that is printed on the forums, but if it is legal & it makes someone happy why bring them down or try to bludgeon them into changing their minds. I don't get much time to summer fish but I do enjoy sitting in a spear house. If I get 6 northerns in a year I don't think that will hurt the population. Any way sorry for the rant. I have used the duey decoys& they do work great. Straight & Strong let that spear go. Good Luck All.

i dont know, but i didnt take skeets post that way. just asked a couple questions. suppose it could be read that way.

Duey usually has a table with my dealer from MI at the Perham decoy show in the spring. I did meet him last spring and D ick Cepak from MI. It was nice to meet D ick Cepak being I’ve only talked to him on the phone. I had a good time there even when I got there late. Lots of different fishing items. I don’t know the date yet but there is another one planned.

fishtoys, when you do find out the date of that event post it. i would like to try and attend that. my wifes parents are from the perham area.

I know this may get deleted but it seems that SKEETS comes to the spearing forum with an agenda. If he does not appreciate the fine art of sitting in a spear shack why does he come on here & question someone spearing a 17# fish. I don't agree with everything that is printed on the forums, but if it is legal & it makes someone happy why bring them down or try to bludgeon them into changing their minds. I don't get much time to summer fish but I do enjoy sitting in a spear house. If I get 6 northerns in a year I don't think that will hurt the population. Any way sorry for the rant. I have used the duey decoys& they do work great. Straight & Strong let that spear go. Good Luck All.

Whether he has an agenda or not really don't matter.

If you think he may be trolling then your response to it should be the same if he is or not, if he is trolling then feeding into the trap will not help.

Do an internet search for

how to deal with an Internet troll

and you will get the idea

fishtoys, when you do find out the date of that event post it. i would like to try and attend that. my wifes parents are from the perham area.

NFDA

is there any websites where I could get one? And how much do they run, I live south of the cities so its hard to get up there to go to a store to buy one...

Another chain of stores that carries many of Duey's Decoys is L&M Supply. I have purchased 6 from them so far. They carry a lot of different decoys styles/patterns and if they don't have the one you want, they usually will order it for you. Hope this helps!

I do not have an agenda here. I have been a faithfull reader and poster here at FM for almost 9 years. I was only asking a few questions and did not mean any harm whatsoever.

I know all about spearing. My father speared every chance he got back in his day. I have many friends who spear. I personally have sat in my brothers spear house and observed him spear lots of pike over the years.

I see lots of spear houses on the lakes every year. The pressure on these fish here in central MN is incredible. If you don't believe me, take a look at your favorite lake and count the spear houses that dot the shorelines.

20 years ago, the pike fishing and spearing was much better in my opinion. I know that many pike are harvested each year both by spear and tip-up fishing. Due to the increased pressure, I believe that selective harvest will help our fisheries recover over time.

I have never eaten a large pike before. I really do enjoy catching pike both summer and winter. Once in a while I will keep a smaller pike to eat, and they are great table fare.

I hope you guys continue to respect our great natural resource in not harvesting the larger pike.

Thank you! smile

Again, I did not mean any harm in my questions here.

I am just merely stating my opinions! smile

Asking if they taste good sounds like a hidden agenda!? That never even entered my mind...