• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Portavilla Report

Portavilla

Jan 7th

Today is my first day back in the cites for a few days of much needed R&R. The last 21 days of sleeping on the ice had me on a dead run and we had a lot of fun with it at the same time. I would still like to know who caved in my warm room with their truck, but we didn’t let it slow us down we just kept drilling holes and moving houses. One of my customers did say that my equipment should put a restraining order on me and we know we are hard on our augers but that warm room I had nothing to do with. I did have one auger with the throttle cable froze wide open and at one point got to a little dance with it. It was by no means dancing with the stars but it did get a few good laughs, I was just trying to keep my feet from getting hit with those blades. I think the dip I did at the end before I flooded it out got the laughs. It’s a hard environment on the lake and you can’t let it get you down.

The fishing has been steady in the spot; with slow being 12-20 fish per shack on the average with some doing better than others. At least it has maintained the same consistency for several days including days with high wind. The other areas would put out great numbers one day then shut completely down. We are looking for areas with more consistency through out the day and night, so far the spot has dun that.

I have been back in the cities for a couple of days tending to the needed support services for up on the ice. Are prototype blowers were a big hit and while working out a few bugs I needed to get some supplies. I also picked up some Rattle Reels for all the houses and will be installing some coat hooks in them as well. I wanted high speed Internet in my shack so we got that in place and I pulled an impulse buy on a new GPS, one has to have a back up of everything up there.

I talked to Dallas and he said fishing slowed a little today and had picked back by evening and that the bite has been fairly steady the last few days. Dallas will be tagging off to Bill in the next couple of days and I will be working on house improvement items.

Jan, 11th

The bite has been steady in the spot; Dallas said it actually picked up even better as we approached evening with all customers happy with the consistency.

The fishing has been pretty consistent lately the cold snap took some of the wind out of the sails, but some nice fish have been caught the last couple of days. The group has landed a couple 40” plus gators and some nice Walleyes have been caught 24” and up. Still the bite is not up to my expectations as it was a couple of days ago. We will give it one more day to turn around or it will be time to find another hole. I will start poking around tomorrow, as my chore mission is close to be accomplished.

Dallas has been doing a good job tending to folks and Bill will be coming up tomorrow for a 21 day stay. If I feel like its time to move I will hang out myself and move the houses with people in them and Dallas will get to work with me on that project. We will let Bill get use to the initial trauma of being back.

move the houses with people in them and Dallas will get to work with me on that project.

Hopefully you tell them to hang on to something! I couldn't resist crazy

I've moved the Labshack skid house many times with them in the house. They enjoy hanging out the windows and doors and yelling to people that they need help because "someone is stealing our house". grin

Once again tonight I have to agree with Kelly this is an adventure and about having fun. I have never had any one disappointed in making a move. Its more like grown men acting like kids in a school bus heading away from school.

Fishing hasn’t changed much over the last several days. Some of the houses seam to do better one day and others the next. There has been no real pattern to how there coming in and pre fishing other spots has not produced any better results. We have a couple of people up helping us pre fish other potential spots, but nothing has proven better than where we currently are. We have everything in place for the next move its just where to.

We are catching fish but not a Walleye rush by any means. When we find Walleye gold we will be packing up the wagons and making the Exodus to it. There is a certain amount of excitement that comes with it and when you are sleeping there all winter its what we have to look forward to.

Yes it is a lot of work and for the most part things go very well. The cold weather nights can definitely mess with your equipment and we have learned to keep your truck running all night on those cold nights so you are at least moving in the morning. Bill just this week has had the clutch go out in the plow truck and should have it back first part next week. Also he had to temporarily shut down the heated outhouse for the evening until he gets his lift back running, the seals contracted in the cold. So far it has be amazing we can even keep that thing going, water and cold weather just doesn’t mix. It has been are biggest endeavor since we introduced it last year.

The bite did pickup last night some and Bill is spreading a few houses out and they have been doing a little better on the Perch out farther. The fishing is still spotty and will improve as we get into February as always. The guys have been having fun and Bill is working hard, we are going to send him in some backup tomorrow. He had a lot of last minute reservations for the first part of the week. No flare but I can sense it coming.

Well Bill seen his share of fisherman last week and was a little overwhelmed so we sent in reinforcements so he could get caught up and get some rest. We did not expect the amount of rentals during the week that we have been getting, so we had to make some personal adjustments as part of that success.

We are going to make a move starting tomorrow. We are going to split the group and head in to an area that has always proven well in the past for the next couple of weeks. We are also going to a customer-approved spot that has been producing Perch and Walleyes.

Sounds good hope you find some good fishing. We'll be up there next week for the second time this year.

Spent the weekend with Portavilla. Was very impressed with Bill and the gang. Fishing was a little slow but did improve Sat. night. Overall around 20 fish and one nice slab! Definetly appreciated the extra help from Bill on Sunday morning in the frigid temps getting the truck going!! Cant wait to get back up and fish with you guys again!

coming up next week for three days hope to get some fish, like big gator!! of course walleyes will do. look forward to staying with you. heard good things

The guys are moving some houses and I wish I could say they were pounding them, but the bite has been slow across the board. The fishing will eventually change around and always does.

It was nice getting Dallas back up to help Bill out he was at it for 18 hours a day for a few days and looks like we will need two people staying on the ice all the time. At the current rate we will probably have three people staying on the ice all the time next year. We thought that with the economy in the shape it is weekdays would be a little slow. I guessed wrong, I guess for $20.00 a piece for 24hs of fishing, playing cards and getting together with the buds is something everyone still finds they want to do and for the price they will.

We also have had the same problems with having generators powering electricity and the heated outhouse with flushable toilets working around the cold temperatures and the problems that weather brings with those services. However we will continue to keep these unusual services that you don’t find elsewhere and continue to try to create a more enjoyable experience during your time fishing on Red lake. Having to add additional staff is the best of problems and shows that we are doing something right.

2/4/08

Stopped by and talked to Bill last night on way back from the Falls it was nice to see that fishing was picking back up some. They are doing about twice as good as the last two and half weeks. The guys have been still getting some real nice pike and some perch 8” to 10” in size. The walleyes seamed to be hitting a little more aggressive. We cut open the bellies on a bunch a couple of weeks ago and they were feeding on fingernail sized Crappies.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the fishing has been about the same for the past couple of weeks. I just got back up myself and went out to see what was happing with the groups and found my roads in rough shape the water was frezzing up and it is one jagged bumpy mess. So I called the wife and told her to let everyone know 4- wheel drive is a must. Somewhere in the day I lost my smile but I found it again, pasted it back on my face and finished out my day. I am pretty good now at getting unstuck and some where in it all, my daughters rap music made sense to me. My daughter showed me good trick if need some help call somebody; women they just don’t get it. Everyone seams to be having fun and catching fish and enjoying themselves.

I closed the reservation system until I can get things back stabilized. I will open it back up once I know we can take on more than we currently have booked.

I am assuming at rogers. Dont give a rats u know about rough roads put me on the fish! I am sure you have never heard that!! I am the one u left the voicemail confimation for the other night. I am really looking forward to this trip!

I finally got decent access to my houses again and will have Kelly open up the reservation system later today. We canceled a couple yesterday but we are drilling them all today. The roads are re-freezing up very good but there are still some soft spots. I did not want to rent houses that we could not get access to in bad weather if it came along.

I am also coming up on tuesday. Will we be able to make it out to the houses in a car and what all do the 2 man houses have? Rattle reels? Are there any electricity hook ups or is everything run off of propane? Thanks

All the houses are hooked up to generators and have rattle reels. We have had people up with cars but I would recomend four wheel drive for most areas.

We have been getting quite a few nice Northern pike lately with the occasional Crappie hear and there. The Walleye bite has been the same. We got everyone in today and the weekday groups are just getting started with the evening bite. The bigger Walleyes have been caught on 4” to 5” Sucker minnows, this year we have only seen six over 27 inches but as the last three years most have been caught on Suckers.

The last couple of days were rough but it’s nice to be surrounded by the group of outfitters that are out of Rogers resort. As with most things its starts at the top, Jerry Barthel the owner of Rogers Resort is as hard of worker as they come and he expects that we all get along and that we help each other out. What I do like the most is his outlook when things get rough he just keeps at it.

I have been told many times this year the we have very good outfitting business, and as much as this is appreciated we are only as good as those that surround us.

Thanks to

Johns & Dons

Bobs Rentals

J&K Outfitters

Duffy’s

South Shore

Outdoor Authority

Alpine Fish houses

We also enjoy sponsoring the forums that we do and hope that all of you find these resources very helpful through out your fishing season.

Yes, we do supply power to the houses. Power is limited however but there is power for lights and misc. things like TVs, DVD players are on a as can be provided. Alot of guys bring flat screens and set up their video games while they fish. Most charge their vexlars and things like that.

The walleye bite has still been slow. We have caught just a few Crappies but we have got 9- Pike between 36-44 since Saturday and the guys have lost quite few as well. Things have been going well and its nice to be caught back and that will probably change by morning.

My daughter has been up with her dad for the last week and will be with me for another eight days. She is doing an ice fishing report for a school project, finally my kind of homework.