• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mucus from dogs eye

night bite

My black lab is 2 and the last couple of days there has been a yellowish green mucus coming from his eyes. Just wondering if anyone know what to do for this or just go to the vet. I'm sure its an eye infection but just wondering if it will go away by it self. Thanks

Before you run out to the vet, hold the eye open (they probably won't like this) and flush it out good with some saline solution. Do this a coupld of time throughout a day and then see. Could be as simple as something in it's eye. My dogs wake up with some nasty looking green things in their corners after a day of hunting and with flushing them out immediately after hunting I still may have to flush again the next day to get everything out.

It is most likely conjunctivitis. Just get some antibiotic ointment from the drug store and put some in the lower eyelid margin twice a day, should clear up in a few days.

My 11 month old lab had the same stuff going on with his eyes near the end of the summer. The vet gave me an ointment to put in his eye for a few days. That cleared it up after only a few days of treatment.

Yes, after a three day pheasant hunt in Iowa this past fall, my puppy had all kinds of stuff coming out of his eyes. It was pretty nasty for a few days. I used some saline to wash his eyes out each morning and before bedtime for a week or so after the hunt. He was not kean on having something put in his eyes but it helped.

Try flushing it with saline, but it's probably conjunctivitus. Our dog's had it several times. A trip to the vet is in order if the flushing doesn't take care of it. They'll want to do a stain of the eye to make sure it's not a corneal scratch. If it's not, they'll give you some oitment to put in the eye--basically overpriced Neosporin smile

It is better to use clean water to flush out your dogs eyes. Saline solution that is made for people is a different ph than a dogs and will burn, kind of like when you get sweat in your eye. Water is closer to a dogs ph and will burn less.

Also my vet recommends after every hunt in cattails I flush out my dogs eyes with water to get the cattail fuzz out.

It is better to use clean water to flush out your dogs eyes. Saline solution that is made for people is a different ph than a dogs and will burn, kind of like when you get sweat in your eye. Water is closer to a dogs ph and will burn less.

I've never heard that and my vet actually told me to use saline. My dog didn't seem to mind. Something I never thought about though!

Water will work as well. I don't believe saline will hurt however. This has been passed down from the boss (wife) who is a vet tech and the vets that she works under as well. When I have run low on saline in a bottle, I have cut it with water to fill the bottle up.

yeah my vet recommends using the water. My first vet said to use saline and I can tell the difference between the two as far as the dogs reaction to each.