• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rest

Code-Man

I was wondering what people use for rests. I have a whisker biscuit, don't get me wrong I got a great buck this year but am wondering what other people use. I am just starting out and figured get my form down and confidence with the whisker biscuit then switch up to a drop a way but just wondering what others think. Was looking at the Trophy Taker Xtreme line of drop away rests and just wondering if they were good or not. Heard reports from my buddy of why change if it works for you and it's one more thing to go wrong in the field. Thanks for any inputs

The only issues I've ever heard of with a WB is they tend to be noisier than other rests and they have a tendency to freeze up in cold weather.

If you are considering a drop away, just make sure it is some type of full containment. Most out there are very good.

I use the Trophy Taker. The drop-aways are definitely more accurate, but for treestand whitetail hunting I doubt if it would make much of a difference. The bottom line is use what you're confident with. Try it, you can always go back to the biscuit. I had problems with the first Trophy Taker I used because the cradle was so small, occasionally the arrow would pop off, but they make them with a deeper cradle now, I think the one I use now is the Pronghorn, and they also have or had one called the Shaky Hunter with a very deep cradle.

I have never had a malfunction of any kind, however I did have the rest get frozen to the riser on two occasions, so keep an eye on it if you're hunting in wet freezing conditions.

Can't go wrong with a TT or Ripcord. The Limb Driver from Vapor Trail is another great choice.

I use the ripcord. It's a full containment dropaway rest. When I was considering a DA rests I also looked at the Trophy Taker rests. They are pretty nice, but I liked the rip cord better. Price is about the same.

I guess it is true that your cor don teh DA rest could break in the field, but its also possible to damage a WB rest too.

I don't see them as having any more risks or a higher failure rate than anything else. In fact I think they are engineered better than most fixed rests because they have to work perfectly every time.

I had a WB and go rid of it for that reason it scared a deer away when i went to draw, i have a bododdle rest now and love it, ill buy a DA someday

I've been using a WB for as long as I can remember. I've never had any of the problems with accuracy or noise so I don't see any reason to switch. Its really a great hunting rest that I have a lot of confidence in. If I were to switch over to a drop away I have heard good things about the QAD so I would probably give that a try.

TT. They are very dependable, but it would be nice to have a secure arrow when drawing back without using your finger.

Limbdrivers are nice, but they add an extra string to get tangled in brush. Other than that best dropaway I have shot.

so haaad - What launcher are you using? You can either put a shakey or pronghorn launcher on and the arrow will be fully contained unless you shoot sideways.

Sticknstring - I believe I'm shooting the shakey. The arrow definitely stays put in the launcher when at full draw. No issues there. I was talking about before full draw or when letting up after full draw. I've had a couple of instances where the arrow has come out of the small plastic arrow holder when not at full draw. I probably should have said it would be nice to have full containment, like the Trophy Taker Extreme, Ripcord or QAD.

I gotcha. I had the same issues with my TT before I switched to a Ripcord. One thing I did that helped was to cut off 2 inch long arrow shaft pieces and glue them on to the shelf about an inch apart. Then take some moleskin and stick on the top of the "hills" and create a shallow valley for the arrow to stay in. It worked relatively well, not full containment but much better than nothing and it looked pretty cool grin

There are a few different companies that make the rubber drop-away shelf holder. They're not all created equal. NAP makes a pretty good one that's quite a bit larger than the others. I use it in conjunction with my ripcord.

limbdriver here, on all of my bows, and they are reported to have one with an arrow containment this year, but i haven't seen it yet. as for the cord tangling in brush, connect it to the cable and it will be much shorter.

I've been bowhunting 3 seasons. I hit a deer in each season. I have a whisker biscuit and love it. I'm deadly out to 30 yards with a Fred Bear Element bow at 58 lbs.

try the ripcord. One of the best rests i have used. In the past i used a whisker biscuit and found it took alot of FPS off of my shot. Also just tried mathews new drop away rest..... truly amazing!

In my opinion the whisker biscit is the rest on the market. On just about any hunting show there is they are using one. The reason I stay away from things like the ripcord is because its a mechanical rest. That just means there are a million things that could go wrong with it. Odds are they are going to happen when the big boy walks by. Thats why I stick to Muzzy as well and stay away from the rage broadheads

They also said the new whisker biscits won't freeze and if you are really worried then you can buy this specail spray.

Wow! A million things can go wrong AND odds are it will happen when a big boy walks by. I'll never use a drop away now.

Are you basing your comments on your years of experience? Have you had problems with drop aways before?

I can fully recommend the QAD, Schaffer, and Ripcord. Sold alot of Schaffers and Ripcords and have had no customers complain about failures. Used the QAD this year and it performed flawlessly.

While I don't use Rage broadheads I have shot them and they performed well for me. I know many, many guys who do use Rage and they swear by them.

Sounds to me like a blanket statement from someone with no experience with any of the above mentioned products.

Last time I used a drop away rest the string broke during the middle of one of my rounds so now I stay away fromt them. And no I exagerated on the million part. I'm sure if I read some of your posts you have exagerated a bit to. And yes I have seen people use the rage and when I have been watching 2 of the 3 people ran into a problem with the blade getting stuck. So no I don't have tons of experience with all of the products in the world but yes I do have some. So no need to spaz out over one comment I was just giving my personal opinions. That is what I beleive this sight is about. People sharing information on their personal experiences to help otheres. So just simmer down.

Your string broke because of the rest? What kind of drop away rest was it and what happened? Curious. Please enlighten me. What happened?

Curious as to what you mean by the Rage blades getting stuck. Stuck open or closed.

Simmer down. Funny. If I was going to spaz out or be angry I would have exagerated about everything from the wb to the muzzy heads.

You are completely entitled to your opinion as am I. I don't believe I spazzed as I'm not the one getting defensive.

I'm not getting defensive at all. The string on my drop away rest broke not my bow string. I'm sorry if I came across angry. It just bothers me when people won't let other people just state their opinion because their mind is set and can't be changed. I'm not criticizing you I was just giving my opinon. When I was writing about the wb and muzzy I was giving my opinion not spazing. I was in a very calm mood when I wrote that actually. Personally I prefer the wb but I also like the fall aways for target shooting. I just THINK the wb is a better choice for most hunting scenarios. So I'm sorry if I upset you.

I can't say anything bad about the wb. It doesn't get any more foolproof than that design. Far and away the number one seller in the country. I agree that it's the best design for hunting. Even though, I still shoot a QAD drop away with a full containment bar. Wasp broadheads. Haven't jumped on the Rage train.

I probably could have worded my responses a little differently, or re-worded, so they didn't come across as strong.