• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican at 24- below!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well Monday I took off work and run up to Pelican to try for some eye's. When I hit the lake it was 24- below. I turned on my H2O that I had just put brand new batteries in and Low battery was blinking at me. Panic set in as I waited for it to kick in and then I couldn't see anything through my fogged up reading glass! mad So I set up as close to my spot as I thought I could, but only found 6 feet of water! mad I played with the Perch there for a while until my H2O warmed up a bit. Finally found my spot, but nothing really started until sun set. Caught 3 dink eye's and when the big boys started I lost 3-4 of them in a roll! mad I really need to practise not horsing the big ones but now my gas ran out and the holes were icing up and I was pushing it trying to get something up on the ice! Oh well at least their there and I'll be back. Found about 18" inchs of ice, no slush, and there was a good break running from Gooseberry island over to Halverson bay so watch out for that. Of course Tue, back at work and 25 above!! mad

There were a few trucks and even seen a van that drove out from Breezy which has a short plowed road out between the point and island. On the east side off of 3 people are driving on from some road but it maybe there own plowed. I was on a sled so no problems there. Not sure I would chance a truck unless maybe two guys followed each other and went balls to the wall. But then why chance it? There was a bit of a hard crust on top and lighter snow under it but a lot of drifts.

hey leech when you coming up again ill try to get you a report or get one from you ill be out tommorow on th 2pm to 6pm run

Ice, I maybe going again on Sat, but I haven't been on the Big Pond yet this year so I may go over there are run around. Thanks for a report if you go. I was hitting them in 16f that drops down in a deep hole. Good Luck!

5 eyes 3nice 16" plus well after sundown . pre sundown run was jammed with a run of pike 2lbs picklers good to be on the pond ill beout again on sun

Icecamper, sounds like you did ok, what depths were you in? I wasted the whole day out on Mill Lacs out of Cove with not one fish in the bucket! I tried about 8 spots from 12 to 33 nothing going on. Lots of lookers, I should have went to Pelican! frown

The in-laws have a place on Stewart's bay? (the small bay on the NE corner). He doesn't fish much so I'm looking for a little advise on here.

Is the north end a productive area for walleyes or crappies? or should I make the drive down to the south end? Not looking to take a hotspot from anyone just trying to narrow down where I start looking. Thanks for any help!

MP, there are a lot of places for Walleye's on Pelican on north and south end, you just have to be there at the right time. As far as Crappies go right around Breezy is about the best in the winter but I don't fish them much!

Theres tons of spots on the north end, but travel out there is getting very treacherous. Sleds are better than anything. Plenty of people gettin stuck in 4 x 4's. They have a plowed road going out of breezy point resort to weavers point if you have to drive.

SO Im planning a trip up to breezy this weekend fri sat and sun... never fished pelican lk. before, and after reading your guys' comments sounds like it would not be wise to wander far from the plowed roads-

since ive never been up there before- what would you guys recommend be the best access on the lake that I could find some good plowed roads that would take me to some spots... also are there any regulations on how near I can set my portable up near perm. houses??

any info/knowledge/tips I would def appreciate it!

def tryin to catch some fish and stay safe -

thanks smile

just a note on pelican lake fishing success for my icefishing tenyear. I always avoid a crowd of houses. i always fish the drop inside or outside of the weeds. there is enough structure on pelican lake the county population could fish and not be crowded. i have a perm and will move from time to time because too many of my fishing bretheren crowd me out . my best is when i fish away from the noise and traffic and high density areas. find a drop fish it you will do good. i most always find great fishing in spots not ever fished all winter . get out and explore it is exciting and rewarding fish are everywhere in this lake. report 7 eyes 6 pike 4 tullipee 4 family members all day.

awk, if your staying at breezy I would just stay on their road out front and fish were you can drive, just about the only road on the lake other then those made by people with their own roads they plow out from the cabins. As far as how close to fish from others well this could open a big can of worms on this site, but I guess I would fish as close as you would want someone else fishing by you. I would go with small jigs, tipped with waxes, and crappy minnows. Good luck and have fun! Just don't go out and try fishing after leaving the bar and end up stuck out in the middle of the lake, if you can get that far! smile

I would stick to the plowed roads. There are some places along the roads that could be fished especially if you have a portable. Get a lake map. Dont drill holes on the road, it will flood. saw several trucks get stuck once they left the road. A sled would be the best if you insist on exploring areas.

awkwardjim, here we go! I told you this would open a can of worms! laugh

i agree leech have fun . and if i ever feel crowded i just find a new spot i actually enjoy it . i just somtimes do get offended when lets just say sat fri night my area i plowed around my house had no holes drilled and sun am if found 7 portables within some 3ft of the house i thought that was and is a little close. when i plow roads you can tell which ones are mine they weave everywhere so anyone wanting to fish structure can follow the road because it follows the structure. it can be disapointing when after all the work of setting up a 3mile road you have seven companions within feet of your house . but hey i dont own the lake nor do i claim to. just kind of have to have an unwritten rule among pro fisherpoeple. i spend hrs plowing the lake and many poeple can get to there spots because of it and i enjoy doing that because i love the sport.

anyway i have been having the best luck in 21fow to 24fow on the outside edge of the weedlines. a setline wit a small shiner or rainbow and a jig line with pimple and fathead works best for me. the weedline is the walleye super hwy find it anywhere in the lake and it not will you catch walleye but how many good luck everyone

IceC, what side of the lake do you plow out from? Over by Velvit Beach? I always use my sled and porty and try and find a spot as far away from everyone I can, so as not to boughter them and hit some fish no one else has been after.

I actually plow from breezy and the south landing and the roads do go by some great structure as you can see on the h20. my suggestions on this are only to make everyone aware of how awsome this lake is and you can be the only guy within a half mile and catch 10 plus eyes . it is tempting to follow the crowd however if you take 60 lines divided by a school coming thru the math is not as good. i understand that the plowed roads are the only way to get around right now. i am glad when poeple can use them and enjoy a day of fishing. it is a network others have been helping outplowing as well but you can now drive about five miles out and around to the south landing another great spot for da eyes

Ice, wow you guys have been plowing from Breezy to the south landing? I don't get over that way very much, but that sure is nice of you or who ever is doing it. This year has been hard to get on anywhere, and looking outside today keeps getting no better!

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I have a lot of places to choose from to fish. I'll get a report up here after I get out.

Hey fellas. New to the site. Wondering if there are any problems with bad slush and flooding on pelican. Never been there, but after going out on Leif I need to try a new pond.

Oh, one more question. I just put my picture on my account and it doesn't show up on my screen. Does it have to be approved by the admin first?

Snap, Welcome to FM, your pix turned out and looks great. I was up there 2 weekends ago and no slush that I found, but we may have gotten some more snow since then. Good luck if you go. Sleds only or stay on the road!

ice, catch many eye's what? Ever? this weekend? Some ever, non this weekend, maybe because I was out on the Deadsea instead!

frown