• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snowmobile Conditions?

Walleyehooker

Im coming up next week fishing out of Zipple and was thinking about bringing the sleds with mostly to run at night and do a little bar hopping.But I heard there was a lot of jagged ice near shore and it was treacherous.Is it still bad or has the snow covered most of it up? Thanks

my buddies were up there yesterday and said theres alot of snow out on the lake and its a blast. lots of puffy powder to run in. there are still the jagged ice so you still have to be careful but the snow isn't hard at all so thats nice they said.

very good sledding out right now just have to be careful too!

Great year for sleds again. Guess I picked a bad year to buy a new wheeler... sold the sled and trailer year before last... duh!

Eventually I will get it right!

BE CAREFUL

I saw 6" slabs standing on end up to 3' high. Some of these areas are far from shore.

Thats what I was worried about.I dont want to put a ice berg threw the belly pan.It sounds like it may be getting pretty cold next week anyway.Maybe I will just wait till the end of the month as I am heading back up there for a trip out to Oak Island on sleds.That way we can just run the trail.Thanks

With the snow as nice as it is this year I would even reccomend taking a half or full day off of ice fishing to ride the trails in the N.W. Angle area. Some of the nicest scenery around and beautifully groomed lake trails.

The trails are groomed and smooth and sweet. Perfect for

riding. Cross country trail blazing always has surprizes.

You couldnt get a better winter for riding.

We will probably do some riding up at the angle at night after fishing.It is always nice to have transportation up there as we are renting a house and dont want to rely on the bombers.If the weather cooperates we might do some reef hoping during the day to.Sounds like the fishing has been pretty consistant up there which it normally is.Gonna be a fun time.I havnt been up to LOW for a few years.But with gas a little cheaper I have about 4-5 trips planned up there.

Can anyone tell me where the groomed snowmobile trail starts that heads out to Oak Island or does it start at several places on the lake.Is it well marked with directions to Oak Island? Ill also be bringing my GPS and chip so maybe I will look up the coordinates for Oak Island just in case the weather gets bad.

I also learned last fall that a lot of the rock reefs like Knight etc. people tend to fish way off of them rather than on top of them.Do the fish tend to hold more to structure in the winter?We might hit a few reefs out that way on the way in and out if the weather isnt to bad.Thanks

Can anyone tell me where the groomed snowmobile trail starts that heads out to Oak Island or does it start at several places on the lake.Is it well marked with directions to Oak Island? Ill also be bringing my GPS and chip so maybe I will look up the coordinates for Oak Island just in case the weather gets bad.

I also learned last fall that a lot of the rock reefs like Knight etc. people tend to fish way off of them rather than on top of them.Do the fish tend to hold more to structure in the winter?We might hit a few reefs out that way on the way in and out if the weather isnt to bad.Thanks

There is a marked trail starting from around wheelers point. You can't miss it. It is marked with stakes every 30-40 feet all the way to the angle. There is another trail that leaves out of warroad and eventually meets up with the wheelers trail somewhere south of oak island.

The Warroad trail used to start at the river and then go to Springsteel and then head across the lake from there. I think it still does that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.