• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Am I paranoid on this?

I have my camper on Sixteen right? right, never had it there before, havent seen this much snow on the lake this early ever, now I relize once on babblers road there is'nt any travel off the road which makes it really hard for permanent houses to find a local to fish, an I was thinking about bringing it back in to gull rock area, dose babbler ever shut down plowing due to excess snow, there is more than half the winter left an a large possibility for much more snow, an then what, has anyone ever had their house left out there till snow melts, would you guys bring you perm back in due excessive snow depth? My perm is 50 yards of his road, just worried that eventually he might shut down plowing due to to much snow. What would you guys do? any advise would be great Thanks boar

A few years ago some guys I know had to snow blow a path all the way from gull rock to get their houses off, late season snow and no more plowing. The last few years we've had our house up on 16 but pretty sure we won't this year due to the snow.

The instability of travel on 16 mile reef has kept me on other

parts of the lake for many years. If you leave a house out there

you need to be able to take care of things yourself. You seldom

need to but it will happen sooner or later.

Good place to fish though

There is an awful lot of snow out there! If I were you I'd strap a big pontoon on each side of the house, attach an old Evinrude outboard to the back, and just ride it out when the snow melts. wink

Seriously though, I thought about that very same thing. I think I'll stick to the shoreline, within reason, and take the sleds and Otter out to the reefs for day trips.

Was there water pushing up the holes once you punched through out there?

A few years ago Babbler plowed out to twin rocks and twin islands and then quit. A bunch of houses were stranded. But if it were me, I'd fish in it and just keep it jacked up so it doesn't freeze in. We'll get more snow, but it will melt and you will be able to get it off without too much trouble.

I don't know how to post this but I have some solutions to the plowed road issue that you guys are worried about.

Shoot me an e-mail & I can assist you.

sflaten at wiktel dot com.

Hey Boar,

It is kinda tough to have a house out there a ways if you are only around every other W/E or something. Conditions can change in a hurry!

If it would warm up a bit, this light-weight snow will compact significantly and allow travel again but who knows when that will happen or how much additional we will get.

We had an 8X10 house trapped out 13 miles past Pine one year and had to wait for the snow to melt to get to it. Opened the door of my full-sized Bronco & had water on the floorboard!

Did find out that an 8X10 will come up on plane real nice though.

Good luck!

I've got the same concern about the current snow situation, coupled with concerns about future snow. I could see him not wanting to plow all the way out there all year.

I was all set to go out there (16 mile), but I'm talking myself out of it. I had an issue out there one time a couple of years ago. It wasn't snow, but rather a breaker/bridge. The tire of my house fell of the side and it ripped the sidewall open. That makes for a long trip limping it back.

However, the reason I might go out there is that my father-in-law was out there last Friday (before the snow) and he thought that there were as many houses out there as he could remember and that the road was great...before the last snow.

Thanks for all the advise guys, doug, man, thanks for the vision, LMAO. thinking about you getting your 8x10 to plane out. Yea I made the decision an whent out to sixteen today, hard to leave the bait shop at worroad though, took my snow blower with an fished till about noon an hit a 22" 18" an numerous dinks, hard to leave that reef. but unloaded the blower an ten minuets later I'm hooking up an puling to shore, with a nagging feeling to stay but relief that it's off an no more worries. I set it up in 28' o water on the west side of lil' gull rock reef on a nice inside conture breakline, according to the chip, puched a hole an gaboing!! 28' exactly. Man I love the H20. snow plowed a spot, skirted an shoveld it closed an set to go. 3:30 an time to head home. Then I realized that it was really easy to snowblow a spot an thought, crapo, I could put it over by gull rock where I really wanted it, but o well I feel alot better with it off of sixteen an closer to shore, even though I realize things can happen even close to shore, I rather have problems arise 1 mile from shore than 8 miles. I can sleep now. Boar P.S I talked to richard last night before going up an I asked him if he ever stops plowing because of excessive snow depth an he said "it's getting close to that now." an there is alot of snow season left. Just something to think about for those that have a shack out there. The road is great an days trips are very doable but long term I would'nt gamble for it. Boar again.

Boar,

How is for travel off the road? I would like to go up tomorrow and just get off the road a little ways so I set my portable up. Not looking at going all the way to sixteen, but just a little north of the rock.

Thanks

Travel off road is tough, but I have noticed that some guys make it out to their shack several hundred yards off the main road, but finding a place for portables is'nt hard. the road banks are pretty big so getting through those is the really tough part,. Boar