• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Camp Lake

schmitty773

Hey I am a college student at SCSU and don't get the chance to go out alot. I saw Camp Lake along highway ten and was wondering if anybody had information on this lake. Anything would be appreciated!!

If it's the Camp Lake I am thinking of, by Clear Water. Its not very big maybe 80-90 acers. Wouldn't waste your time if your interested in Fishing it, its full of Bullheads, and some suckers.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Very prone to freeze out. There are many, many better options just as close.

if it is so bad why is there always 4 or 5 trucks there fishig it everytime i come home from work. what are they catching must be mire the bullheads and suckers?

Is this a case of protecting the lake's hot spots by saying there's nothing in the lake, or are those half dozen people there every night just big fans of bullheads?

I am giving good advice. There are still rumors of it being a dnr walleye rearing pond. Ever see the same vehicals there more than once or twice? I would rather break out the hand auger and go to warner as to go back to camp again. If you dont believe me try it yourself. It drops off to 25 ft out about 70-80 ft from shore and looks very fishy but thats it. I and two buddies drilled about three or four hundred holes looking for life but all we could find were four and five inch sunnies and lots of two inch perch.

I would have to agree with these other guys. Try heading sw,west,nw of town, There are alot of good lakes that way. find a local map and have fun. let me know how you do. God speed.

They fish for crappies and walleyes right off the steep shoreline break. Years ago they pulled out some really big walleyes out of that pond. Not sure how it is now though. I also agree with the above comments about this lake.

Those big walleyes were the leftovers from when it was used by the mn dnr. But those days are long since gone and so are the walleyes. I dont want to sound like an A@s but I just dont want to see the good folks here on fm to waste a perfectly good fishing day on such a bunk pond.

I believe you guys are telling the truth about the poor fishing but I also agree that it is a little tempting to spend an afternoon there. It's only about 10 minutes or so from campus which is nice being a college student, and every time I drive by there (which is about 4 times a week) there are a bunch of people fishing it. And yes, there are a few vehicles that keep coming back. It's just hard to believe that somebody would take the time to set up a permanant out there if they're just catching 4 inch sunnies, and 2 inch perch.

If anybody has actually had any luck out there recently I would be interested to hear about it.

I know someone who use to live on the lake and likes to fish, he says there is fish there but he would never waste a good day fishing there.

I'm originally from St. Cloud, never fished Camp, but have driven past that thing maybe 2563 times, I see cars there frequently during open water and a house or two out there each winter. Can't say if same house or not. Also heard the tale of former walleye stocking lake.

sounds fishy.... Might have to give it a whirl. Funny when people post great success people pass it off as a fish tale and when people say the lake is garbage people begin to wonder...

I do believe that the fishing is probably pretty lame on Camp, especially with some of the other great fishing options in the area. It's just confusing how so many people say they've fished it with no success, yet there are a few guys that seem pretty loyal to the lake.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to make a trip there anytime real soon seeing as school starts Monday, but if anybody else does hit the lake please post a report.

A walleye stocking pond? My uncle lived on the shore of Camp Lake for 80+ years. If it was he'd have known about it. I don't think so. I mostly experienced the bullheads that everybody talked about. I think there might be something out there during early ice, but by now there's not much to go for. By the time you see all the cars it's too late.

I can tell ya you are going to catch sunnies... and lots of them.. But, they are all pretty small, up to 6 inches ifin you are REAL lucky! That's on the east side, opposite hwy 10 side. Then for the crappie bite, they move over towards hwy 10 side for the pm bite. I know these fish are prone to be wormy and pretty small, so do what ya gotta !! good luck............