• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LIMIT OF CRAPPIES ON GREEN LAKE BY CHISAGO AREA

Quote:
Real sportsmen respect their quarry, as well as fellow sportman. I find it disrespectful, in a couple ways (to a vulnerable fishery & to fisherman that may have spent alot of time and effort putting together / finding something that is working) to post LIMTIS of fish being caught on such and such lake.

Real sportsmen? So you're calling sean, the original poster, out as a "non"-real sportsmen? I'm not certain you have the pay grade to make that kind of judgement!

I respect that everyone has an opinion on this topic, & I have mine, which is that I personally wouldn't post a hot bite on a smaller lake. But as someone's already pointed out, this site is about sharing information, & sean chose to share. Good on him, & sounds like a great day of fishing.

So goose, while I agree with your sentiment, you're not going to be able to stop people from posting info like this. It's already been tried about, oh, 354 times. smile

Wow,

I didnt expected to get blasted for posting about how I did on a lake that a lot of people know about. I went back to the aforementioned lake and no there were no busloads of people nor were the line around the block to get onto the lake. All is not ruined with the lake yet as some of you have feared. I did alright this time around as well(no pics, for some reason my digital cam won't load anything onto my laptop). Though the guys fishing next to me didn't seem to be finding the bigger fish. They had the same results as many of you been having the 8-7/8" crappies.

Anyways I'd give more info about how I was catching them but I'll get blasted again by most of you "TRUE SPORTSMAN".

Sean you are just fine with your post. I also believe you were not being slammed for not being a "true sportsman". We do have a lot of lurkers on the site who will take advantage of "hot" bit info and the comment was directed more at them. We all know of several small lakes that were just trashed by the meat horde. However, Green is not in that category. Good job and I appreciate the report. Keep posting and I hope you figure out the camera issue. Would be nice to see some slabs. I for one have been stuck in the 8 to 9" size so far this ice season. Time to go exploring again.

I know what you mean seanssdd, i got slammed for posting a pic of a walleye on a digital scale. They said it was hurting the fish or something, and that measuring a fish gives a better idea of weight. makes no sense.IDK. KEEP ON POSTING WHAT EVER YOU WANT. This is a info and sharing web site.

Sean:

Don't take it personally. People will do what they do. Hence the reason we have a site such as this. I'd rather see people bashing each othere HERE then on the lakes.

Hey Sean, I apologize if you took it the "oversensitive" way most replies since then did. Please read Mark Stanley's post. He caught the intent of the message. My bad on choice of words. "Real" should have been left out.

I have witnessed / experienced the potential negatives of indescriminate sharing here of small, sensitive lakes. I don't know for sure what the definate criteria for a lake to be named specifically or not. I usually think to myself - Do I want others that I don't know about a particular bite.(others that may be disrespectful to the fishery, myself, and others that have been fishing the area previously).

If you want to risk that, all right. I'm all for sharing pix and success stories, but will definately censor where I got them if the lake isn't already real well known (Mille Lacs, URL, LOTW, Winnie, ect). You can get a pat on the back from us on FM , and can go enjoy it again, hopefully with a friend, neice/nephew, brother, father, without worrying about who else is gonna be out there, possibly damaging a good thing. You'll more than likely get a few replies asking where you caught em. It may just be me, but I find that disrespectful. If someone tells me about a great spot he's doing well on and doesn't tell me where it is (lake, or area of a lake), if I ask him to give up the specifics, I may as well ask him how much he makes while I'm at it.

Yes, this is gonna get ripped again, probably. Again, Mark Stanley got what I was trying to get across. Hopefully I can be abit less insensitive next time to all that are sensitive.

All I can say is this demonstartes the level of passion we all have around fishing, good, bad, or indifferent, we love to fish!

All I can say is this demonstartes the level of passion we all have around fishing, good, bad, or indifferent, we love to fish!

Good point Reaper. I love to fish, catch fish, eat a few, let most go, and share it with others. I'm one that chooses who I share it with. As posted countless times by other FM'ers on threads in the ICEFISHING forum, I don't enjoy it when a spot gets overcrowded, noisy, trashed w/ litter and dead (too small / nuisance fish) ect, double-dipped (multiple limits by meat collectors), ect. I do not love to fish in that environment. My personal view.

goose89,

Do you even fish Little Green Lake? If so how is the bite? grin

As far as I know there has been no actual study done on how anything posted here of FM (or any other site) has any impact on the out come of the doom and gloom of "out fishing a lake" or leading to any more traffic to an area than all ready is their or would be their.

I think the “forewarnings” people post like the ones in this thread have no research or data to back them up. If I am wrong, please someone correct me and post the title of the study conducted. So, when these “forewarnings” are posted, they are just the personal feeling of the poster and not fact.

Now, these posters that feel it is their duty to come into a “report” thread and high light the fact that what someone is posting is no what "they" would like to see or read, (IMO) they are part of the problem they are fighting. When you conflict what someone has posted in a thread, that post becomes a 3-4 pages long and becomes etched in the minds of those who read this Metro forum. If you just let the report go, hold your feelings, the report hits the second page and is FM history. So in essence, some posters who are trying to prove this point of not naming, are going against the point they are trying to prove and drawing more light to the subject they feel should not be brought up. Hence this thread ( with its 1500+ views and almost 40 posts in it now). Left alone, it would have gotten a couple "Thanks for the report" posts and maybe 500 views. smile

I agree with Mark S fully and let see some more report. Pics are very nice also. We are here to have fun smile

Good report sean and welcome to FM!

I couldn’t agree with you more Shack. If you truly want to let it die, then let it die, don’t bump it back up with yet another “the sky is falling” comment

It sure is tiring seeing every thread turn into this same old discussion.

This site is intended for camaraderie, friendship, sharing our experiences and having more fun. It’s not a platform to lecture people.

Sean, keep those positive reports coming cool

shack, dtro and rod,

Point taken. We look at this at different angles, I guess.

A moderator on the Alexandria forum did take and post a very limited "study" of how many fisherman were on a "hot walleye bite" on a particular lake. This was all subjective and official numbers were not taken, but he noticed a signifant increase in number of houses shortly after a "hot bite of big walleyes" was given over FM by a baitshop owner. He polled a few houses in the area he was fishing and did find many that were there because of the post(s). Thread was deleted because, I don't know why. Too much bickering between FM family, I guess.

I am guilt of keeping this threads alive, and it would be better to let it die. Good point. Sorry for the rant.

ps - Shack, I used to fish green / little green alot when I lived on the north side during my college days. Great little lake(s). I'm guilty of not fishing either for a good number of years. Still care about em though. I'm out.

Hey guys, not to argue with what anyone has posted here, I totally understand what all of you are saying. I would just add that this is the Internet, after all, and although this is moderated there is quite a bit of leeway on what can be posted. I wouldn't necessarily believe ANYTHING posted on this site if I didn't personally know the person posting (not that we aren't all honest people). I can tell you that a friend heard about a "hot bite" on a northern lake just a few weeks ago, only to find no one catching anything when he got there. Not accusing anyone of anything, but I'm sure if there were increased traffic the businesses in the area probably weren't complaining.

Hey Goose, we probably think much more alike then might appear on the surface. wink

I've said it on other threads as well, but I'll say it again. It's my opinion that it's not the undue pressure that is the problem at all, it is selfish fishermen taking bucketload after bucketload of fish. If we as fisherman, could be a little more selective about we what keep, the lakes (especially Metro) would be in much better shape.

So instead of twisting a hot bite report into a negative, use the chance to take a positive approach and educate about the benefits of releasing most of those fish.

Perpahps is time to implement a Metrowide slot wink

Dtro, I am with you on that. I try to inject Selective Harvest in my post, but focus on the "reports" more than I should. I briefly mentioned the problem of overharvest / double dippining / eating a few/ putting most back, ect in my prior post(s). It's there. It's just buried in all the other "muck."

You got to the root of my "sky is falling" fear with that. I'll be the first to admit - I need help seeing / talking past my "fears" at times. Thanks for the help, Dtro.

It's not an excuse for being negative at all, but I grew up in a culture/ community that thought nothing of double / triple / quadruple dipping, as long as the fish were there, they'd bring 'em home. I thought nothing of it when I was younger, too. Ideas / beliefs have changed and I have a tough not speaking out against / warn others of that. I'm

You create the petition for a Metrowide slot, I'll be first to sign. winkwink. Good luck with that one.

Okay, enough, Sean, again, I'm sorry. I'm out.

Where is that petition Ill be the second to sign it.

Wait only problem who is going to enforce it I havent seen a CO in forever.

Wow,

I didnt expected to get blasted for posting about how I did on a lake that a lot of people know about. I went back to the aforementioned lake and no there were no busloads of people nor were the line around the block to get onto the lake. All is not ruined with the lake yet as some of you have feared. I did alright this time around as well(no pics, for some reason my digital cam won't load anything onto my laptop). Though the guys fishing next to me didn't seem to be finding the bigger fish. They had the same results as many of you been having the 8-7/8" crappies.

Anyways I'd give more info about how I was catching them but I'll get blasted again by most of you "TRUE SPORTSMAN".

Sean you didnt do anything wrong. I got slammed by a few ppl here last year because they wanted some pics of my catch. But then when i posted pics they started crying about, why do I have to post the pics. I never gave out gps cords, only approx areas and depths, with tips on catching them. There will always be ppl complaining. Let those ppl complain while you keep catching. Without reports, questions, and answers this place would not even be called a forum. Stay safe and good luck.

THis site I have learned is FULL of people complaining for any given reason. too much info, too little info, didnt post pics, posted pics, said what lake they caught fish on, said how many they caught, and theres the typical always around guy that blabs "OMG you have ruined our lake by posting that!! EVERYONE IN THE STATE WILL BE HERE NOW!!" let it go in one ear and out the other and get the information and research you need. NOT EVERY PERSON IN THE STATE LIVES ON THIS SITE. WIsh people would understand that. I will get blasted for this.. for sure, and i even got blasted for asking for general info on things im not familiar with.

Troy. You should go to Lake Sarah tomorrow. I am going out with my buddy. Hope to catch some crappies. He wants to catch some northern.