• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Excursion, April 18th and 19th 2009

wastewaterguru

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• Matt C

• harvey lee

• hanson

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
Perhaps we can have a maturity contest.

I forfit!!

Yep, I forfit also laugh

I have no problem being the chaperone. You guys may need it.

Let the good times roll!

I somehow see your idea of being a chaperone involving locking us in the cabin, hiding all the breakables, and leaving....

As long as you leave the beer and fishing stuff outside I Will survive. Time to step the Smack Talk up a notch!!

32 days 'til lift off!

I'd take this weather for a weekend in the boat yankin' sturgeon...

The warmest weather I have ever fished in that area was the first weekend in March this year and it got to like 35 one day! Couple that with Nicks god given talent to bring weather front's with him and I predict an average temp of 15 degrees, 25 mph winds, and snow!!

My track record is improving, the past 3 FM GTG's I have been at sported no rain at all!

I was MIA for the Sarah tourney, so that wasn't me, the weekend before though I brought the rain.

Acctually the curse of rain just conencides with the lake Sarah curse, it hasn't taken hold elseware.

Can't we keep some things burried in the SC forum and not out in the open for everyone too see?

Nick -

Just don't bring the snow storms/blizzards, and -40 temps with us up there....rain can be dealt with.

Then again at the Tetonka GTG, it was insane cold, we all caught fish. You tended the grill and base camp and drank all my beer with boilerguy. laugh

Can't we keep some things burried in the SC forum and not out in the open for everyone too see?

I hope you leave that blasted curse in SC!! 29 days

Hanson, what's a good bait castin reel to buy for these fish(and cats) I have some leadcore rods that will work but I need to get a differant reel. Don't wanna spend much on them.

Uff Da... the idea of spending "much" varies from person to person.

I really like Abu-Garcia baitcasters. For most sturgeon and catfishing, a Garcia Ambassadeur 6500C3 will work perfectly fine. Line capacity is more than you'll ever need and the 5.3:1 gear ratio works fine.

I personally prefer the bit larger (and more expensive) Garcia Ambassadeur 7000C3 for its better, tighter, and louder clicker, lower gear ratio (4.1:1), and power handle.

If cost is really a concern, stick with the 6500C3, you can pick them up off of [YouNeedAuthorization] very reasonably. If you don't mind spending $100-130 or so, I'd go 7000C3 and not look back.

Sturgeon really don't require a reel like this but it sure helps. Some of the larger spinning reels work fine, us cat guys really like the Okumas. I personally like the Garcia baitcasters for this type of thing. I don't know... up to you.

As for line, I run 80lb superline straight to my hook. As for brand... take your pick. I've had great luck over the years with PowerPro (for catfish specific scenarios) but will probably changing up a bit this year for musky casting capabilities. I'll be flipping the reels between cat and muskie rods. Sufix and especially Cortland Masterbraid are getting rave reviews in the musky forums so I may be spooling those for that reason.