• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Rydigital

Lake Mary Updates

Rydigital

I am heading up to Lake Mary on Thursday and fishing it for the first time. Anyone been out there lately? Reports? Are people driving out there?

Thanks!

Ryan

EyeGuide

Off road travel is Very slushy! The bite on Big Mary is also very slooow. I think you could leave a line down for a couple days without a hit. As for Lil Mary, the small panfish are always biting with a nice one here or there. A lot of houses are getting pulled off as of late.

rockpilewalleyes

Saw a couple people get stuck just driving down the plowed trail.

S.D. Ice Angular

I don't know about the fishing, but the travel just plain is becoming not worth it...

Rydigital

Thanks for the updates!! Much appreciated.

stoneeyes317

Bringing this to the top in hopes that someone will throw out an update. I'm coming up to Mary @ the end of the month, staying @ Westridge Shores with a group of 5-7 other guys. They always do an ice fishing trip and they ALWAYS complain about the money they spend to catch so few fish. Thought if I could get an update I could maybe stop the whining wink ...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

eyes317

thumpthump

Was on Mary mid-January and fished the main lake for eyes. Got 2 between 4:30-6 pm, but only tiny perch during the day. Drove out on the plowed road but couldn't venture off due to the 6-10 inches of slush under the top coating of snow. The slush made it difficult to stay mobile. I am not sure what the ice conditions are now.

stoneeyes317

Thanks for the info thumpthump!!

eyes317

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      Hunters can apply starting Sunday, July 1, for the regular archery deer hunts at Camp Ripley near Little Falls. The application deadline is Friday, Aug. 17.  Hunters may pick from only one of two hunting seasons: Oct. 18-19 (Thur.-Fri., code 668) or Oct. 27-28 (Sat.-Sun., code 669). A total of 4,000 permits, with 2,000 per two-day hunt, will be made available. The bag limit for this year’s hunt is two, and bonus permits may be used to take antlerless deer. Additional rules and instructions for this year’s hunt will be posted in July at mndnr.gov/hunting/deer. Hunters may choose from four options to apply for the Camp Ripley archery hunts: In person at any one of 1,500 license agents located throughout Minnesota. By telephone at 888-665-4236. Online at mndnr.gov/buyalicense. At the DNR license center, 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul. The application fee for the hunt is $14 per person. Additional transaction fees and convenience fees may be applied depending on how the application is made. Successful applicants must purchase a valid archery deer license to participate. To apply, resident hunters 21 and older must provide a valid state driver’s license or public safety identification number. Nonresident hunters must apply using a valid driver’s license number, public safety identification number, or DNR number from a recent Minnesota hunting or fishing license. Preference will only be given if the same ID is used from previous Camp Ripley applications. All applicants must be at least 10 years old prior to the hunt. In addition, anyone at least 12 years of age and born after Dec. 31, 1979, must have a firearms safety certificate or other evidence of successfully completing a hunter safety course in order to purchase an archery license if successful in the lottery. Hunters may apply as individuals or as a group of up to four people. Group members may only apply for the same two-day season. The first group applicant must specify “Create New Group” when asked, and will receive a group number. Subsequent group applicants must specify they want to “Join an Existing Group” and must use the same group number supplied to the first group applicant. The archery hunt at Camp Ripley is an annual event. The DNR coordinates the hunt in collaboration with Central Lakes College Natural Resources Department, and the Department of Military Affairs, which manages the 53,000-acre military reservation.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      With the all-terrain vehicle riding season in Minnesota in full swing – and the number of registered all-terrain vehicles continuing to rise – DNR conservation officers and safety officials remind people to be aware of the regulations and safety training opportunities before they head for the trails or allow youngsters to ride.  While youth riders are required to complete ATV safety courses (those between the ages of 12 and 15 must take an online course and a hands-on riding performance class, while those 16 and older born after July 1, 1987 must complete an online course), officials encourage anyone who operates an ATV to complete safety training. In about 92 percent of the 143 ATV-related fatalities in Minnesota since 2010, the operator didn’t have an ATV safety certificate. “We’ve seen the same trends in our other safety education programs – people who complete them are less likely to be involved in fatal or life-threatening accidents,” said Capt. Jon Paurus, Enforcement Education Program coordinator. “Learning about safe operation of these vehicles is one of the best ways to reduce the chances of being involved in a tragic accident.” Once they’re in the field, one of the simplest but most effective safety steps riders can take is to wear a helmet. While it’s recommended all riders wear one, it’s required of those under the age of 18. Whether they’re riding a Class 1 or a larger Class 2 vehicle, they must wear a DOT-approved helmet. It’s also vital that youth riders fit the vehicle they’re riding. They must be able to reach and control the handlebars or steering wheel and comfortably reach the foot pegs or brake/gas pedal while sitting upright on the ATV. While regulations are designed to keep riders safe, they can only do so much. It’s up to parents and guardians to make the call whether kids are ready to operate ATVs on their own. “We highly recommend active supervision of young riders,” Paurus said. “While they may have sufficient skills to start and stop an ATV – and to travel in a straight line – kids lack the experience necessary to respond to something unexpected.” See ww.mndnr.gov/safety/vehicle/atv/index.html for more information on ATV safety training. Off-highway vehicle regulations are at www.mndnr.gov/regulations/ohv/index.html Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Minnesota Department of Natural Resources conservation officers and hundreds of other public safety officers will ramp up patrols for intoxicated boaters this weekend, June 29 to July 1.  The enhanced efforts to curb alcohol- and drug-related boating accidents and deaths are part of Operation Dry Water, a nationwide campaign now in its tenth year of highlighting the dangers of boating under the influence of drugs and alcohol and the strict penalties for boating while intoxicated (BWI). In Minnesota and across the nation, BWI is the leading contributing factor in boating accidents and fatalities. Of the 12 fatal boating accidents that occurred last year in Minnesota, six involved alcohol. Over the past five years, alcohol has been a factor in about 44 percent of boating fatalities. “People who operate a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs are a danger to themselves and other boaters,” said Lt. Adam Block, DNR Enforcement boating law administrator. “We have zero tolerance for anyone found operating a boat while under the influence. While failure to wear life jackets is the reason the majority of fatal boating accidents turn deadly, being intoxicated often is what causes people to end up in the water in the first place. The legal blood alcohol limit for boaters is .08, but public safety officials encourage boaters to leave alcohol on shore and boat sober on “dry water. The Operation Dry Water enhanced enforcement weekend takes place each year just before the Fourth of July, a holiday when BWI-related accidents and deaths tend to spike. Last year in Minnesota, conservation officers arrested five boaters for boating under the influence during the three-day Operation Dry Water. Minnesota has some of the strongest BWI laws in the country, which should send a message to boaters about the seriousness with which officers take intoxicated boating, Block said. Boaters convicted of BWI face fines up to $1,000 for a first offense, possible jail time, impoundment of their boat and trailer, and the loss of boat-operating privileges for the first 90 days during the boating season. Intoxicated boaters with prior BWI convictions, who have a child under 16 years old on board, or who have a blood alcohol content of 0.16 may be charged with a gross misdemeanor or felony crime and subjected to higher monetary fines, mandatory jail time, loss of driver’s license, loss of vehicle plates, and forfeiture of their boat and trailer. For more information on Operation Dry Water and boating safety, visit www.operationdrywater.org and www.mndnr.gov/boatingsafety Operation Dry Water activities are sponsored by the National Association of Boating Law Administrators in partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • BartmanMN
      Has anyone been to Lake Martha recently to see if the parking lot has been re-graded?  It was extremely rutted the last time I was there.    
    • BrianF
      Snagger, nice report.  Wondering...Did you happen to get a measurement on that ski?? The length seems to go on forever. 
    • roony
      That is great, thanks for sharing the pics. I miss the days when my three boys were young and in the boat with me. I hope to have the same good times when my grandchildren get a bit older.  
    • snagger
      I was up at Vermilion with my family last Saturday - Friday. We stayed at Everett's Bay Lodge and also Glenmore. We had an absolute blast. Because I had my two young boys with me the walleye fishing was basically limited to the evening bite. It didn't disappoint and we caught lots of little ones with plenty of eaters mixed in. We mostly used slip bobbers with leeches in 2'-6'. We had a surprise catch while bobber fishing. A BIG musky clamped on to one of the walleyes that my son was reeling in and we actually got her in the net! My boys were thrilled. After a quick photo she was released. I also spent a fair amount of time chasing smallies and did very well once I figured out the cover that was holding the most and biggest fish. Great trip.....wish I was there right now.
    • roony
      I agree that the larger bass should be released, same with nearly any species it is good to have a balanced size population. However, hassling someone because they keep some fish for a meal is akin to hunter harassment. Sometimes I think those who preach "catch and release" are actually killing more fish than those who keep a few for a meal and go home to fry them rather than catch all the fish they can. I am of the belief that if you are going to release a fish you shouldn't even bring it into the boat, just unhook it and let it swim. After the photo opportunity the fish might swim away but that doesn't mean it won't suffer the long term effects of removal of the protective "slime" it is coated with. I guess it comes down to using good judgement and I see less of that all the time.
    • jwilli7122
      My "home" lake is about 300 acres with 15-20 ft water clarity.  It's also absolutely loaded with largemouth bass and they taste great - just like crappies.   I've eaten bass out of other lakes and have found some to taste pretty muddy, so I'm guessing it's a water quality thing. I'm big on selective harvest, and I take A LOT of 10-12 inch bass out of that lake, as I have for the last 25 years.  My cutoff for throwing them back is about 12.5 inches.  I also keep as many 20 inch pike as I can but always throw back 23.5 or bigger. Everything is relative, but on my lake, it's much better to take a meal of small largemouths than a meal of big sunnies, crappies, or walleyes, in my opinion.  Bass are a prolific fish in this lake and they can take it. And they taste great. On the other hand, I agree with you about not keeping 15+ inchers.  The worst thing you can do is keep the 15 incher and throw back the 11 incher (actually, keeping both would be less bad). To me, largemouth bass in general need less protecting than just about any other species in the state.  1. because they tend to be prolific and 2. because most people don't choose to eat them anyway.   Now if you want to tell people not to keep big crappies or bluegills, I could probably get behind that.    
    • Hookmaster
      In the late 70s or early 80s, Outdoor News had a recipe for grilled largemouth bass. The first ingredient was "1 five pound bass". I still laugh at that.