• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
catfreak

Cattin' the Chain

Rick G

Catfreak we almost met. Ya that was me that helped give you a little push. I was in the black chevy coming off the lake when we seen you were stuck. There was a crown victoria out there a couple days ago so you should be able to make that hill. How deep of water were you set in over there?

Alex = #1

According to the DNR website, it looks like Cedar has the best Cat population, would you guys agree that Cedar has the best cattin? I'm thinkin of heading out there saturday and i'm just gonna be going off the DNR's lake map as to spots to go. Think i'll be able to run in to some fish?

I also don;t have a truck or sled... is driving out there in a car pretty easy?

50inchpig

i think all the lakes in the chain offer decent cattin, my suggestion would be to see if you can find good access on cedar if that's where you want to fish and use long lake as your backup, since it is very easy access there for your car.

Alex = #1

Are there any dangerous places to drive in terms of ice thickness? Being on any sort of current makes me little weary about driving or even walking.

catfreak

Riverfishingmiss, I started in about 22 fow and the last hole I punched was just over 30. Theres a nice slope right there. Had some fish checkin me out at 22. Didn't see anything at 30 for about 10 or 15 minutes so I pulled my bait up for a quick change and the second I did a cat came through. I had my flasher set narrow so he was right under me. That sucked.

Are you gonna be out there today?

50inchpig

Most of the lakes have visible roads, if it's safe and driveable, you'll be able to see that without a doubt before you venture onto the ice, haven't checked out cedar much but that's the case with Long and HS. I've got a rear wheel drive truck and can't really go anywhere someone else hasn't already been, check it out, you'll be fine.

Rick G

Catfreak sory I didnt see your post till now cause I got out there at about ten this morning. I hit the cats prety good right under the house in 26fow until 2:30 when I decided it was too nice to sit in the house and went looking for a school of crappies. Found them pretty thick over forty feet of water suspending as much as twenty feet off bottom. Hot bait for the crappies was 1/32oz gill pill with a white lindy tiny tail. Bait for the cats was smashed up suckers and shiners. I got a bunch of the dead ones from corkys. I think the front that is coming through made the fish very active today.

catfreak

That's ok. I was hoping to make it out today cuz of that front, but I was just too tired after class. I was about to go grab my ice fishin stuff at about 2 and I layed down for a couple seconds to relax and watch some tv for a few minutes, next thing I knew it was 6:30. lol. Guess I needed some sleep. I'm gonna try to get out this weekend some time. You should email me your phone number and I'll try to get in contact with you. Plus, that way you can help me get off the lake when I can't make that hill. haha.

My email is [email protected] Thanks again for helping me off the edge of that ditch. That stupid car is so frustrating. I was about 2 minutes from calling a tow truck to drag me like 10 feet onto the road.

MinnesotaMuskie

CatFreak...

I am Staff @ SCSU...maybe we can meet up...I will supply the perrm house...you provide the guide service...also I have a 4 x 4.

I am in the 801 Building.

fadal

Can you drive snowmobile from the dnr landing to horseshoe lake?

50inchpig

There have been trailers parked there lately, if not you can park right on 22 a little farther south and ride out into the East basin

Rick G

Was on the water by six this morning. The fish were still there. In the almost three hours I was there I managed one catfish about 12in long. I had the camera down for a bit and the fish I saw were not at all intrested in my offerings. Catfreak I will be out there on sun all day if I see you out there I will stop and say hi. We got the road out there packed down pretty good the last few days and you shouldnt have much of a probalem geting over to the other side of the bay. I will be bringing another perm house out to set up a bit deeper than the other one.

DTro

Thought you guys might be interested in this here:

Recent Catfish Show

catchnothing

dtro, that looked fun! Thats about how much fun we had 2 weeks ago. Warm and the fish were active all day

Rick G

Thanks dtro for the link! Thats prety cool. I think I was out there when they were filming this. It was the first part of december. I was fishing across the lake watching them wondering what they were filming. Now I know. I was out today and the fish were slow again today. From noon to seven my buddie and my self got seven crappies three catfish and one small walleye. Saw lots of fish on the graph but not much action. The cats we got were on live crappie minnows.

JBMasterAngler

Do the cats turn on again in for late ice? It looks like the soonest I'll be in the area is feb. 28th, and with pike season being closed I'll probably have some shiners/chubs to get rid of.

DTro

Thanks dtro for the link! Thats prety cool. I think I was out there when they were filming this. It was the first part of december.

Actually we filmed this about a week ago.

catfreak

Hey riverfishingmiss, I never made it out that day. Next time I go out I'll let you know. If it warms up a little this week I'll try to get out there.

Minnesotamuskie, do you teach in 801? I've never had a class in the 801 building. That's right between the education building and the science building right? By the way, I don't think I'd be a great guide, but I'd definitely give it a shot.

Hard617

Do the cats turn on again in for late ice? It looks like the soonest I'll be in the area is feb. 28th, and with pike season being closed I'll probably have some shiners/chubs to get rid of.

Isn't that the day of the GTG? You should just go to that.

duckslayer27

Dtro

Looked like a great time. It was a nice day to be on the ice.

JBMasterAngler

Well I know my fiance will be having her own GTG on that day...it'll be her bridal shower...so escaping to the ice will be my only sanctuary.

Big Dave2

How are the driving conditions out to the meth hole area? I would like to come up with my 8 yr old son and try for a few cats this weekend. I have never fished the horseshoe chain in the winter but I have been fishing it once a year in the spring for about 10 years or so. So I am familiar with the lake but not the ice.

Would it be possible to get to that area safely with a wheelhouse and 4 wheel drive truck? Or is there an area that is easier to get to? Is there a lot of permanent houses out there? How much snow is there?

IceHawk

Ice is fine out to the Meth hole. There is good trail out there and yes you will be able to pull out a wheel house. Not alot of Perms out there but a couple portables.

JBMasterAngler

What is the meth hole? And why is it called that?

NELS-BELLS

Does the DNR mark the actual thin ice spots by the "Meth Hole"? I've heard or read that it can go from 2' of ice to 2" of ice, in a couple of feet there.

Nels