• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cattin' the Chain

Are you still able to drive out near the methhole or is it best to stick with the ATV's this weekend? I haven't been out to the chain yet this year/

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick G

• catfreak

• 50inchpig

• JBMasterAngler

ok then i am planning onit but i also am wondering about the drive or atv question. will follow the posts here and deecide to load the wheeler or not. i would think ice should be good. sunday sounds like its gonna be a nice day. hope the kitties think so too. willl have to load tomorrow morning, as i have to work til close at the shop saturday night but will not have any issue as to being there by 715 i have a 96 gmc stretch cab 3door and an otter den. if i have the wheeler you cant miss me. like icehawk said at the gtg it looks like a giant tip-up. see you there. ... paul

I was out last weekend with a full size truck and 14' wheelhouse. There was over 28" of ice.

EDIT: I wasnt near the meth hole tho...so I cant speak for that area. I heard someone mention the meth hole was open.

Well lets just say the meth hole gets a bit iffy this time every year. That is where the river dumps into the lake and there is one or two small springs right there. Just be carefull and keep your eyes open.

I have a maroon f-150 supercrew, I was at the meth hole a week ago and the ice was plenty thick, not sure about how fast the current changes it though. I am gonna try to be out there around 7am, maybe have the wheeler with.

Anybody else see Dtro on the world fishing network lately? Just thought I'd say congrats on that spot Dtro. I was a little suprised when I looked up and saw a local guy on there.

Anybody else see Dtro on the world fishing network lately? Just thought I'd say congrats on that spot Dtro. I was a little suprised when I looked up and saw a local guy on there.

hey thanks, we shot that last year. It was probably the coldest day I've ever fished on. Nothing worked, things broke, and the fish had lockjaw.

Still had a fun time though. We also did a Perch show on ML that was much better, we actually caught some fish smile

Hi Paul.

Just wonder how did you do on the Horse shoe on Sunday?, was the ice still ok and were the cats hungry?.

I am thinking heading up there on next week end with the sled, any thin spots should i watch out for?.

Thanks in advance.

Soft.

saw cats on the camera but saw way more crappies, and neither were hungry. sunday the ice was wet on top but still over 24 iunches oc ice and no chunking when drillin holes. the landing was wet too but i am sure with the past two days temps and winds. the access is prolly not as good and the ice conditions have changed. i took the wheeler with and used it. thats kinda why i bought it. ... paul

Hey Paul, forgot to ask you...did I see you on the news (KARE 11?) awhile back taking your perm off Waconia???

Still able to get out on the lake and the cats are active starting at dark. I wish I had a whole night to spend out there. A little water around the shorelines but if you're motivated enough there's still fish to be had.

Looks like my cattin is done, had lots of fun pulling the whiskers through the hole this winter, thanks to you guys on this thread for posting info on how to catch these things, it was a blast for someone who doesn't know too much about ice fishing. I'm ready to get out in the boat!

I agree 50, this was a great thread this winter, my thanks go out to everyone as well. I'm heading further North this weekend, so my hard water cattin is probably done for the year.

Can't wait for the open water Big Girls to start eating down here!

I was on the ice chasing pannies last night around Forest Lake and the ice was really shot. Might be time to focus on getting the boat ready.

My cattin days are over for the winter as well. Going up around park rapids area for the next two days chasing pannies. This was a awsome thread this winter big thanks to Catfreak for starting it up. And while Im at it BIG THANKS to the hso/fm admin for making all this happen.

yeah that was me. i really cant let darrin get all the shine. it was a neat story and that reporter spent about an hour and a half out there filming. but it is the second time i have had my shack featured by them so i am thinkin a new paint job is in order. was seriously ponderin doint it in winter camo. think it would be cool done that way. ... psul

• 3 weeks later...

fished two evenings this week and caught 1/2 dozen between the two. the kitties were hungry right at dusk between 7:30 and about 8:15. kind of shut down after dark. was in a north bay and the shallower the better. very aggressive bite but lackluster fight. was still good to wet a line though.

Yea. Thanks to everybody for making this such a good thread all winter. I just started it to get a little info on catching a couple cats on horseshoe and it supplied me with more info than I could have ever imagined. Special thanks to Dtro and Borch for helping me snag a cat with their info early in the winter.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lots of folks checking them out this winter. Come summer they will be much more active.