• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caught a few pics of the plow maintaining the roads.

SomethingFishy*

I could use that guy right now! My house is buried in snow, freezing in, only accessable by snowmobile and no fish in the area. What a pain!

is it just me or does anyone else think of a horror movie when you see that plow truck lol? they are like the trucks the looney guys are drivin when chasin the teenage group of 4 lol.

Best thing is there is like 2, 3 of them trucks to keep Hillmas roads open alone! Besides, Johnny and his truck are like a horror show all on his own, I mean really who rides around with sick Pooop bags all day?? eek

Actually there are 6 V-Plows runnning out of Hillman's. A lot better then one of the first years of the "crappie boom" when Buddy and me each had an old wreck and no welder/mechanic on standby. All winter and we never had both trucks running on the same day. cry

Guru at times your asessment is pretty close. Last night when we were trying to get the main open before the wind hit so that the people could get off this morning we had a guy going for "IDIOT OF THE DECADE". He must have thought it was "cool" to run down the main road on his snowmobile and play chicken with the plow trucks until they locked up their brakes and swerved away to miss him. crazy Anyone that wonders why people working on the lake get short tempered should have been riding in the trucks while that jerk was pulling his stunts.

I also liked the guy that blew by me.

I stopped with a plow truck, amber flashing lights, off road lights, headlights and flashers going. I am standing along side the drivers door as he tries to go around as I wave my arms to warn him about the incoming line of V plows.

This fine fellow looks at me as he steps on it and blast around me so he doesn't have to wait (off sale was closing soon).

Well he got a good look at the inside of a plow flume and is most likely trying to explain hail damage in winter to his insurance man.

Just amazes me some times.

Jonny, although I certainly understand some of the frustrations you guys experience, these stories are great. Ever thought about writing a book of short stories? I am sure Kelly, Buddy and others have plenty to add as well.

Hope to see you Feb. We fished in one of your houses last year and were in the last hard shack you pulled off for the season.

I have had several folks say we should write a book, I bet it would make you laugh until your gut hurt. From Fosters seals, Kelly chatting with the neighbors and Buddy just trying to keep his head above water it would be interesting. Trouble is we can barely type fast enough to make 50 word posts on the forum. laugh

As for the plows how would you like to meet this in the dark, the heavy flume is coming off the drivers side.

We got a chance Buddy in action on our way in last night and we took your advice and gave him lots of room.

Thanks for a great day of fishing and for getting us in and out. I never would have guessed that we would catch that many fish in the middle of the storm.

Nice video. We watched you guys out plowing for a while, cool sight to see. I'm glad I was at a safe distance away. smile

and gave him lots of room.

I always thought we should blow this picture up and put it on shore as anglers head onto the lake.

Those are some serious chunks, wonder what one of those snoballs weigh?

unionpacific2resizedak9.jpg

With technology today, you should have no problem getting that blown up. I think you should do it. It truly is a stunning pic!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.