• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area'.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishing medic

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

tjoutdoors

I fished Norway on Saturday for the Lake Association Sheephead tourney from 9 until 1. As the day wore on, the sheephead got hungrier. Mid afternoon is when they were the hungriest as we couldn't keep them off the shad raps as we leisurely trolled around the lake looking for hungry walleyes. My dad got a 10" sunfish on a shad rap earlier in the morning. Nice fish!

meatfish

sunfish shallow 4-8ft,on a slipbobber, jig, green white or orange and a chunk of leech,Large mouth, 10-16 ft weeds,mimic minnow,jig and crawler, leech or minnow,lindy ,little joe.,Northern pike,speed troll large spoons, large raps or large spinners on first break weed lines(when you think it is fast enough kick it up a notch).Small mouth mid lake flats 6-10 ft, rock piles 8-12ft or steep breaks(some are suspended over deep water) on just about any thing.Walleye are every where, shads shallow, most luck has been 22-30 ft sand flats on weed lines near steep breaks on lindy,leech,crawler or minnow or a white or green jig and a fathead(when you find them,stay on top of them,slow, slow slow)or anchor and jig em or slip bobber.Crappie, work breaks or suspended on flats,white twister, beetle spin or slip bobber and grey tube and a crappie minnow.For your larger species do not be afraid to anchor 14-20ft and slip bobber with a plain hook an the biggest minnow you can find.Tulibee suspended at 20ft on 45ft flats on a large spoon and a drop rig.Cats,been seeing large ones shallow,3-10ft,but can't seem to hook one(guess I gotta catch some bullies or crayfish).Jumbo perch,??? if you find em let me know.Thats all I got to say about that.

MN Shutterbug

Meatfish, thanks for the report. It's good to see someone in the area knows how to catch'em. winkgrin

Quagmire*

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

meatfish

Quagmire.I must have way too much time on my hands(must be why my family eats fish every day if we choose)thanks for your opinion,it means so very much to me.gigidy,gigidy gigidy.

sunfish,with the heat they moved off the beds and I am finding them on adjacent weed lines or weed piles 8-12ft,large mouth same area on winter jigs and a chunk of leech.There are walleye slightly deeper than that,plain hook and a chub,fathead or sucker.I am also catching walleye on north or NE facing inside corners on steep breaks.When I find them on the sand and they won't bite I double anchor pull out the vex,buck shot and a minnow head or a jig and a full minnow.Crappie first break,tall weeds.If you find the kelp it holds multi species but the dnr or lake assoc. sprayed a lot of it.small mouth on the edges of the humps and holes or rocks.

MN Shutterbug

Now that the long weekend is over, there must be a ton of good (or not so good), fishing reports. C'mon guys. Fess up. wink

tjoutdoors

Terrible fishing for me on Norway Lake on the 4th. Could hardly get a sheephead to bite. Found fish on the locator but they wouldn't bite on anything in my tacklebox. Sure was a nice day for fishing though!

b-fish

was on norway too. Nothing

carpshooterdeluxe

norway/games...."family day" with the future inlaws out on the pontoon produced us a few keeper gills and some bass for a small fish fry yesterday. bite was better on games, but size was better on norway. i spent most of the afternoon baiting 3 & 5 year old kids' hooks, but managed to get a couple hundred casts out with spinners and raps. had a few really nice pike give some follows, but they were moving pretty lazy, and only one actually took a whack at the xrap about 4 feet from the boat.

jigginjim

tj, you guys try pulling plugs? Do like Eugene C. and Jimmy R. had done, at Dilley's. Take 16ft boat, put 4 guys in with gear, add 5hp motor. Now run it wide open you going just fast enough to catch some fish. grin I may bring my brother out on Norway to try for some walleyes and pike.

Eye_Hammer

I worked a lot of spots and had little luck. Managed 2 'eyes

Friday evening and a couple of nice crappies. Marked a lot of

fish and bait fish, but even the sheepies were slow. And the

sunfish have been none existant. I can't figure it out. It also seems, like last year, that a lot of sunnies and crappies

didn't even spawn. Anyone else notice this the past 2 years?

This was on Norway.

tjoutdoors

Yeah JJ, the old man pulled plugs on Thursday night and Friday morning early but caught only a couple sheephead. That tactic was working for us thru most of June but that bite seems to have died off as well. The hunt for panfish was on over the 4th.

jigginjim

I have found fish hanging out in deeper water. Sometimes they hit quick, other times you can hang the bait on their lip and they won't eat it. The weather patterns have not helped any.

pushbutton

not saying to follow my lead, but was fishing green in 7 ft for panfish and noticed whitetips swimming down below. switched set up and literally nailed 3 nice eyes in about 15minutes. went out to the same spot later that evening with fall and spring piggie tackle and boated what was close to 7 lber. no alcohol involved in participating or telling of this story.

MN Shutterbug

Way to go pushbutton. That's the kind of story we like to hear.

LEECH21

Nice!

sdhusker12

going to be heading up and staying on green this weekend. have been up there already this summer and have just caught small bluegills. Looking to get into something other than small bluegills. I.E. walleyes smallmouth largemouth and possibly some crappies. not looking for exact locations of where to fish just the general area and what type of technique you would recommend.

walleyefisherman

ill be visiting my dad in willmar this weekend and last time we tryed alot of lakes around there with very little success. we tryed games for pike with no results also hit calhoun, on just someones word that there were pike, that lake is way to shallow and weedy for me but we caught lots of bass on both lakes but that was it. then went to Nest lake and i boated a 37inch pike, i love catching big pike but we are looking for numbers plus i would like to get my dad on some fish. or any lakes that have a decent walleye bit going on or crappies for my little cousin that we taking out on saturday. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

pushbutton

husker, your best plan would be to pay 50 bucks, enter the tourney, and follow leech around the lake. more seriously though, go out to one of the hundred or so mid lake humps or bars, start on the top and work your way off the sides and even into the adjacent flats if needed. similarly there are miles of deep weedlines(12 to 15 ft) to work. i would approach both the same...just start throwing plastics, varying size, depth, type of retrieve, ect.. during the summer i usually switch to live bait after i find active fish.

walleyefisherman

wow guess asking for a little report is asking to much. gonna find a different site then.

eyewarrior

Right now northern fishing has been slow. I'm pretty sure why not much feedback. Water temps are in the mid 60's on Green and the northerns aren't active yet on plugs. You can catch some on cranks in 15-22' but the real slam has yet to start(at least for me). I heard about a decent big sunfish bite on Diamond but dont have any more info than that. Walleyes are starting to show up on Green in 30' or so but lots of bait, reports are hit & miss

MN Shutterbug

wow guess asking for a little report is asking to much. gonna find a different site then.

You have to realize that a lot of people aren't doing a lot of fishing right now. It's kind of the mid summer slack. You can't expect too much for responses in just 24 hours. You just have to have a little patience. grin

It took me a day and a half just for someone to cue me into where there was a baitshop near Big Cormorant lake, north of Pelican Rapids.

LEECH21

Haha! I was out twice this week trying to pre-fish for the tourney and the only thing I can say is that I eliminated a lot of water!

Fishing been slow for us. Right now my goal is not to get last place on Saturday!

broken_line

yup im with x tackleman the only way to get a response fast is to have a interesting title and good wording... like minnow trappin need to give it time.. im heading off to lakeandrew mon thru wednesday.. any thing happening on that lake?? dont need to tell what species but just if anything is bitin..

MN Shutterbug

What Lake Andrew are you talking about? I've fished Andrew by Willmar and Andrew by Alex. I'm unaware of any Andrew around here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      I know I know silly me. I keep going back to the intent and verbiage of the Origin treaty.  Yeah know the whole right to Hunt and fish within the Ceded territory for subsistence-thing.   Words that are still used today in their Regs below.  We both know the days of the canoe and torch light are long gone and eating fish for subsistence (food) has been replaced from Lbs to amount of cash! Is the Fishery a big money maker that the Band can live off of probably not, do they need to live off Walleye for food anymore probably not.  Is the Seven Clans Casino helping to fill the Fisheries void of days gone by?  Dang right skippy!  😉      But, it would be interesting to build your imaginary lake wall and see what happens in 10 years under two different management styles!  😄   Open-Water Spearing and Netting Regulations: 1837 Ceded Territory in Minnesota.   "Lakes other than Mille Lacs. Net fisheries in lakes other than Mille Lacs are intended to provide opportunity for subsistence harvest of walleye; so muskellunge and sturgeon may not be kept, nor can northern pike in excess of the bag limit, nor can commercial nets be set. Subsistence gillnetting is allowed from June 1 to March 1 in any lake that is 1,000 acres or larger and in all lakes identified in 9.08(2) of the Model Code. In lakes 1,000 acres or larger, the allowable mesh sizes (bar) are 1.5 to 1.75 inches. In identified lakes under 1,000 acres, only 1.75 inch mesh (bar) may be used. Nets may be up to 100 feet in length and 4 feet deep"
    • roony
      I know what you mean eyeguy but if you cry wolf too often people don't pay much attention any more. Any time you are on the ice, in a boat, or in the woods you have to use good judgement, it's just that simple. 
    • eyeguy 54
      all ice fishermen are not as brilliant as you guys. I like it when they make announcements.  nothing wrong with giving out advice when it's the advice givers that end up saving lives when c.r.a.p happens. 
    • roony
      Must comply with Nanny State.
    • roony
      Must Kill Smallmouth!
    • Xplorer
      No idea where you get this idea of subsistence, that has never been a condition of this agreement. Lets put it in perspective since you seem to be hung up on the fact that there are 5873 tribe members profiting from this commercial fishery. If the tribe makes a profit of $5 per pound of walleye harvested, and they harvest their entire 1 million pounds of walleye, that will produce a net yearly profit of exactly $852 per tribe member per year......... Yea that's livin' high off the hog. Family of 4, well that gets you a whole $3408 for the year.   Question for ya Leech..... they put a concrete wall on the rez line thru the lake this spring.  Which side gets fished out first (with no additional restrictions added to lower harvest for either side), State side or Tribe side?   
    • side_laker
      Pelican Has lots of bucket mouth and small mouth in it. If your interested in a resort in the lake highly recommend Joe over at Deer Lodge
    • iiccee63
      Are you serious??? Lakes are like people....they are all different. The DNR making a blanket statement like that is what they have to do. The lakes I give ice reports I know like the back of my hand. Meaning, I watch how they freeze up every single year. Like the St. Croix...I know how it freezes, where the trouble spots are typically ect. because I have fished it on and off since 86'. DNR has no clue what's going on the lakes I fish.    
    • leech~~
      Same with Pheasants. Not native but treated as so with a season and stamp costs. I would love to be able to fish more Lakers in other lakes then just a few I have to drive hours up to.
    • Sculpin
      Please also convey your collective ideas to the DNR relative to Mille Lacs lake, another fishery inundated with bass, and totally out of whack relative to the walleye population. The DNR would have you believe that the primary forage of small mouth bass is crayfish. When asked what they eat in the winter, you are met with a blank stare, and told there needs to be a study on that. I've caught a ton of smallies, but never once on a crayfish, or an imitation, but I'm sure they work. Leeches, crawlers, senkos, redtails, suckers, every crankbait imaginable, surface baits, buzzbaits, spinner baits.  The protection of the smallmouth fishery is driven by political pressure, the Smallmouth Alliance, folks like the Linders, tournament organizers, and everyone else who can convince the DNR they make for a great fishery. INVASIVES