• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing medic

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

Pike_Master

Last week on calhoun by the access, there is a large pile of cattails. If you cast next to them, you will catch small sunfish and crappies, but when the evening comes, you will catch 11-13 inch crappies.

eyemaster

I got to Spicer and was told by someone in the campground that we should try the North shore of George lake. I went there and we did well. I kept the girls happy and that is what counts!!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Griggs

Any updates on the smallies out on green? I'm getting the itch to catch some smallies, thanks!

TruthWalleyes

Theres a tourney this week on green, I've been told they are still pre-spawn.

LEECH21

Saw lots of fish still on beds on Monday.

CprForSmallies

Beware of the spot stealers!!! The silverado is this weekend and I've heard multiple credible reports from friends who stay on/near the lake that if some of the tournament guys see you boat a few fish they will motor up and gps your spot. But yea, the first wave of spawners are on the beds. It should be good bed fishing for the next two weeks.

Griggs

Great thanks for the info!

glenn57

looking to hopefully hit green for smallies sat, any new info? what about eyes?

chub

looking to hopefully hit green for smallies sat, any new info? what about eyes?

They're both biting!

glenn57

any suggestions on bait preferences? minnows---leeches?

chub

The leech and crawler bite seems to have taken off. I'm sure Red-tails or Shiner's would work good too, but it's easier to baby sit Leech's over minnows now grin

Caught Wallys from 20' down to 40'. Bass too.

glenn57

are the smallies still shallow? a week ago they said to fish near lone oak is that still ok? or is over by mill pond better?

chub

I'm sure there's bass there too. I haven't fished those areas. Been picking them up out offshore walleye fishing.

glenn57

thanks for your info. appreciate it.

glenn57

went to green sunday am. didnt do well. did not see a lot of smallies in the shallows. no eyes either.

bucketmouth64

my son and I are here and fished green Monday morning. Caught a few before being blown off the lake. We started off in front of the ole mill, then we trailered and went to the east end. Whole lake was way too windy to fish to our liking. We went to Nest and unloaded on the largemouth. My son's arms/shoulders are sore from catching so many fish. We fished around the landing area fishing the pads. Today (Tuesday) it's cloudy and we might try green again. If it ends up too windy again we will go to Nest.

Juan Grande

bucketmouth,

What were you using on Nest for largies, topwaters?

bucketmouth64

yup, topwater plastics. Today, we were on on the main lake the bass were hitting on plastic worms. Action was more sparse. Tougher bite.

MN Shutterbug

Is the fishing in this area that slow, or isn't anyone fishing anymore? Lets stimulate the Willmar area economy and start doing some bragging. wink There are a lot of good lakes in this area, so if you post your successes, nobody has to know where you are catching them. We'd just like to know if anybody is still fishing around here. Techniques are always fun to hear, also. What is working for the ones that are catching the fish in this hot weather? Are you having better luck in the evenings or mornings?

chub

Is the fishing in this area that slow?

Has been for me.

tjoutdoors

I fished Norway on Saturday for the Lake Association Sheephead tourney from 9 until 1. As the day wore on, the sheephead got hungrier. Mid afternoon is when they were the hungriest as we couldn't keep them off the shad raps as we leisurely trolled around the lake looking for hungry walleyes. My dad got a 10" sunfish on a shad rap earlier in the morning. Nice fish!

meatfish

sunfish shallow 4-8ft,on a slipbobber, jig, green white or orange and a chunk of leech,Large mouth, 10-16 ft weeds,mimic minnow,jig and crawler, leech or minnow,lindy ,little joe.,Northern pike,speed troll large spoons, large raps or large spinners on first break weed lines(when you think it is fast enough kick it up a notch).Small mouth mid lake flats 6-10 ft, rock piles 8-12ft or steep breaks(some are suspended over deep water) on just about any thing.Walleye are every where, shads shallow, most luck has been 22-30 ft sand flats on weed lines near steep breaks on lindy,leech,crawler or minnow or a white or green jig and a fathead(when you find them,stay on top of them,slow, slow slow)or anchor and jig em or slip bobber.Crappie, work breaks or suspended on flats,white twister, beetle spin or slip bobber and grey tube and a crappie minnow.For your larger species do not be afraid to anchor 14-20ft and slip bobber with a plain hook an the biggest minnow you can find.Tulibee suspended at 20ft on 45ft flats on a large spoon and a drop rig.Cats,been seeing large ones shallow,3-10ft,but can't seem to hook one(guess I gotta catch some bullies or crayfish).Jumbo perch,??? if you find em let me know.Thats all I got to say about that.

MN Shutterbug

Meatfish, thanks for the report. It's good to see someone in the area knows how to catch'em. winkgrin

Quagmire*

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

meatfish

Quagmire.I must have way too much time on my hands(must be why my family eats fish every day if we choose)thanks for your opinion,it means so very much to me.gigidy,gigidy gigidy.

sunfish,with the heat they moved off the beds and I am finding them on adjacent weed lines or weed piles 8-12ft,large mouth same area on winter jigs and a chunk of leech.There are walleye slightly deeper than that,plain hook and a chub,fathead or sucker.I am also catching walleye on north or NE facing inside corners on steep breaks.When I find them on the sand and they won't bite I double anchor pull out the vex,buck shot and a minnow head or a jig and a full minnow.Crappie first break,tall weeds.If you find the kelp it holds multi species but the dnr or lake assoc. sprayed a lot of it.small mouth on the edges of the humps and holes or rocks.

MN Shutterbug

Now that the long weekend is over, there must be a ton of good (or not so good), fishing reports. C'mon guys. Fess up. wink

tjoutdoors

Terrible fishing for me on Norway Lake on the 4th. Could hardly get a sheephead to bite. Found fish on the locator but they wouldn't bite on anything in my tacklebox. Sure was a nice day for fishing though!

b-fish

was on norway too. Nothing

carpshooterdeluxe

norway/games...."family day" with the future inlaws out on the pontoon produced us a few keeper gills and some bass for a small fish fry yesterday. bite was better on games, but size was better on norway. i spent most of the afternoon baiting 3 & 5 year old kids' hooks, but managed to get a couple hundred casts out with spinners and raps. had a few really nice pike give some follows, but they were moving pretty lazy, and only one actually took a whack at the xrap about 4 feet from the boat.

jigginjim

tj, you guys try pulling plugs? Do like Eugene C. and Jimmy R. had done, at Dilley's. Take 16ft boat, put 4 guys in with gear, add 5hp motor. Now run it wide open you going just fast enough to catch some fish. grin I may bring my brother out on Norway to try for some walleyes and pike.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• svingla
      By svingla
      Heading up to Avon to fish Middle Spunk lake this weekend. Looking for any advice or insights for fishing this lake and what to target.
    • bigpunfun
      By bigpunfun
      Heading to the Virginia Mn area Ice fishing in a few weeks. I've fished the Duluth area most of my life but finally spreading out a bit. 
      Not hoping to get anyones "spot".
      How are ice conditions? Anywhere to stay away from safety wise?
      Any dead lakes that would be a waste of my time on a limited trip?
      Thanks yall
    • Chill62
      By Chill62
      I know this is fishing Minnesota but tried something new. Was very interesting and learned a lot quickly. ice conditions restricted where we could get to but we had 5 bites 2 fish. was fun fighting them big steelhead. 

• Jonny 2 shot
      By Jonny 2 shot
      Hey everyone!

Heading up to the Gunflint area this weekend to do some trout fishing.. Anybody been out recently?  How thick is the ice? 

Was planning to put the new ice saw to use and do some sight fishing but curious how the conditions are?

Thanks!

Jon
    • Borch
      By Borch
      Fished hard for 3 days on Big Stone Lake and the bite was very, very tough.  The nice Marked a lot of fish and just couldn't get them to bite. Did manage some dandy perch and trophy gills,(released) but not a lot of numbers.  Saturday late afternoon we stuck 3 gills over 10".  My nephew had one that was at least 10 1/2" but released it before I could measure or get a pic.  Sunday we had 2 more at or just under 10".  Had to downsize to get bit.  Did catch a couple on set lines with fatheads.   Spoons didn't get bit often.  Tungsten jigs or flies tipped with plastics or eurolarvae got most of the action.  
      Found fish in or near basin areas near shallower rock structures.  We would drill, drill and then drill some more.  Once we found fish we would make smaller moves or wait out schools cruising through the area. Travel conditions were excellent.   Just had to watch out for the occassional drift or old plowed road.  Here are a few pics from the weekend.

• Fishing Trend bD
      By Fishing Trend bD
      Village fishing
      fish catching
      fishing videos
      fishing videos
      fishing
      unique fishing
      Catch fishing
      Daily Fishing Life
      fishing videos daily
      Top Fishing Videos
      Village fishing
      Best fishing
      best fishing videos
      fish and fishing
      big fish hunting
      fish lover
      Fish Hunting Videos
      Traditional Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Primitive Fishing
      Fishing trend
    • mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      Fished several NE Wright county lakes got on some really nice bass with panfish jigs the smaller the better. Had a flurry for about half hour many largemouth caught. Then did a night bite for the crappies It really pays to move around. Also learned from some on the MInnow or not to minnow thread to upsize I used a small forage minnow spoon with 3-4 spikes that really was the ticket. Thanks all for the help everyone. The fish seem to me to be just starting to move a bit shallower with the warmer weather coming this weekend it should just get better. Most of the fish were in 12-17 feet of water.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some big walleyes caught this week up at Lake of the Woods along with eaters and saugers.  Good fishing still happening 16 - 22 miles out on the ice and most reports are good.  Ice conditions on LOW remain excellent at around 30 inches where most are fishing.  Best colors vary but on sunny days gold has been consistent.  On cloudy days, glow pink, green, orange and chartreuse good colors.  Don't be afraid to downsize presentation if fish are not active.  Small spoon with a minnow head.  A plain hook with a small minnow can be very effective.  Electronics helping anglers catch suspended walleyes.  Pike are getting more active and anglers reporting good success.
      On the Rainy River...   The river is frozen over with snowmobile traffic on marked trail.  Some reports of local anglers catching a few walleyes in the river but most anglers hitting the lake.  Extra caution is always needed on the river, especially with higher current this year.  Thin ice around the International Bridge in Baudette.  Work through resort or know ice conditions if ice fishing the river as ice thickness varies.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing in full swing up at the Angle.  Resorts in 26 - 32' of water.  A mix of walleyes and saugers with some jumbo perch and pike in the mix.  The snowmobile trails from south shore to Angle in great shape.  Jigging with a bait with rattles has helped to pull in walleyes.  Fish houses on the ice through March 31st, walleyes and saugers open through April 14. 

• HoleHoppingGills
      By HoleHoppingGills
      Member only ...looking for some reports near Wright county area or even west and north of there.  Been fishing this small lake out near South Haven and been crushing 9.5 inch gills  and 12 inch crappies the last 2 months.  Went back last week after take a 2 week break and everything was suspended and tiny. Before everything was just off weeds deep and coming from botto....not sure what happened  but fish were loaded like a xmas on the flx28, maybe oxygen levels? First pic of the crappies took me and friend 1 hour and 20 holes... so much fun!!!!

• iiccee63
      By iiccee63
      💥💥💥Found a portable left on the ice 2/15/20 at about 4 30pm. Had been there over a day as it had snow drifted around it. If you can describe it, and where on the lake I would love nothing more to get it back to the owner. Thanks!!!!💥💥💥
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• AlwaysFishing23
      Got out today back to the BLA to wrap up my game fish season. Tried spearing again and it Was a great day! I actually spent longer driving there and back then it took my to get my 2 fish. Got some fresh fish for a family fish fry tonight and got to see some dandy burbot and large mouth which doesn’t happen every day. Sure was warm out today I made the mistake of wearing my IA rise suit and that was a mistake should have used the edge suit instead! Ooh well. Enjoy the pics :).
    • smalliehunter
    • smurfy
      👍 thanks. Yea pretty much what I thought. With all the small perch and sunfish, even an occasional sucker on the camera one would figure them pike would be close by. Oh well better than watching the Hallmark channel at home.😉 I'm not far from shallow water.   Some of the perch I'm seeing look like there getting a good size egg sac already.
    • Wanderer
      Good luck @smurfy     They might be shallower?  Hard to leave perch though when they’re thick.
    • Wanderer
      New licenses start on March 1st of the year they’re bought for.  Says the valid date right on the license to avoid questions.     I’m glad there shouldn’t be any issues in my area.  First time in many, many years I’ve left a hard side out.
    • eyeguy 54
      Ya it was nasty. Went from 202 down to 168 in 30 days. Couldn’t sleep or eat much. Crazy time!!
    • smurfy
      Where I'm at way plenty ice. Out of bugbee give, the west road. Watching tipups. There is a group further out.   I'm pretty sure I'm in the windmill point area but not 109%certain. In 13 ft of water, have had perch on the camera non-stop but no water wolves yet.
    • BobT
      First, my bad. I mistyped when I wrote that we thought it was over 25". Our estimate was more like 24".   Maybe the photo doesn't quite do it justice and remember, we are fishermen so we can sometimes exaggerate the truth. 🙃 I admit we did not measure it and without doing so we cannot confirm nor deny that it was approaching or possibly over 24" but every June for the past 20 years we have been chasing walleyes on the Lac Seul in Ontario and it is common for us to encounter smallmouths. Many of those that we catch measured in the 22" - 23" range and both of us believed this one was larger than any either of us previously caught. I remember my words when I netted it for him, "Wow! What a hog of a smallmouth!" It was fun and will live in our memories for sure.
    • smurfy
      Hope it goes well for you eyeguy!!👍 I had a minimally invasive back surgery  back in 2017. Can't believe I waited 12 years to do it. Yea they gave me oxy but I did not like how it made me feel. Know I know what a female feels like with hot flashes. UFFDA! I quit taking them.
    • Dan85
      Just a dumb question because i had someone ask me. Does anyone know if a person bought a 2020 license, would it be valid the rest of this season or starting March 1st. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.