• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

I would like to hear some fishing reports for this area, Plese help me out.

Thanks in advanced

• 3 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

please post your Willmar-Spicer area fishing reports here.

thanks guys

Over the last week I have spent a good portion of my time fishing the Willmar area. There has been some real solid bites and some other pretty slow days.

Walleyes and some very nice perch are relating to deep transition areas, look to areas that come up out of deep water and transition into rock or gravel. If you are catching little perch during the day remeber that spot of evening as the walleyes will more often than not move in. Jigging spoons tag teamed with a dead stick and a rainbow chub have been best for walleyes. Deep is relative to the lake, some places it is a bar that comes out of 22' into 18' others it is 40' up to 32'. There is also some walleyes to be had still in shallow water, if you can find any remaing weeds or concentrations of bait fish in shallow water, look too low-light hours for a good walleye bite.

Crappies have been harder to come by, fish have been roaming over deep basin areas and are moving up to near by shallower flats to feed at night.

Fished Green this weekend. First time ever. 4 bites; 1 small perch, 20" eye, 16" eye, and one nice one missed at night 21 FOW. will be back next weekend.

Guys, lets keep this topic on track with some more area fishing reports.

Report for this week,

Perch and walleyes are still relating to any type of deep transition area. The best area I have been working is a gravel to mud transition in 19'. There is pods of tiny perch roaming and not far behind them are larger perch and a few nice walleyes are also roaming the area once night settles in. Crappies are in their mid winter patterns of roaming the main basin areas of the lake, I haven't had much success in locating them as of yet, but once you do find a school they are very active. A 1/16oz Lindy Rattl'n Flyer in Perch has been the hot lure for all species I have targeted. When they turn finiky dropping down a small tear drop jig has been the ticket.

Report for the week:

I have been fishing a few lakes that produced good number of crappies in the edge of the deeper weedlines in 25-28 ft of water. The walleyes on other hand have been on reacting to shiners on a dead stick more than anything or else on a jigging spoon in gold-red fashion. I have caught most of my catch on a dead stick for this time of year though. The Wallyes have been in rather shallow 13-15 ft for me. It usually turns on at night rather quickly and last for 2-3 hrs. Quiet is the key and staying away from others while finding that depth.

Some body must moved my fish house! I found a spot on a local lake after drilling many holes and searching with the vex for fish and finally found them. Set my house and had very good luck. Very quiet where I was, only 3 houses within 100 yards, I thought finally, it felt like a cabin on a secluded lake in northern minnesota, yeah baby! Then I came out this weekend to find my fish house in a metro construction zone with a freeway next to my house and major housing development all around me!#**%$#!!! And the fish quit biting!

was out on diamond tonight in 21 ft water, caught about 25 crappies, most around 10-12 inches, had three that went over 14 tho, plus a few nice eater walleyes, all hitting on shiners, bobber, crazy night. just got done cleaning, cooking tomorrow night, lol

me and my dad want to catch a few slabbers, we may head that way(diamond) tonight we have never fished it this season at least, any advice or general area of the lake we could try, or even what side of the lake to access may be helpful with the current ice conditions? Just looking for any help we can muster up, the old mans impatient sometimes when it comes to staring at a blank vexilar.

Nevermind i guess we found a few crappies out their, lets just say they were not 11-12 inches, more like 8-10 inches and very picky. The west access was nothing short of horrible even if it stays cold for a few days it may take some time for that to heal up. To much road salt mixed in im afraid. I dont think we'll be back to diamond for some time. 14 inch crappies that is funny haha . . .

Sorry to break it to you guys, but there really is some 13"+ crappies swimming in that lake as well as a solid number of 10-11" fish. This fall we boated numerous 11"+ fish with a handful over 13". These fish however have made it through the gauntlet of pressure the last few years and are very finicky. Don't expect to locate these guys in the normal groups of people, I have had my best luck this year roaming "no-mans land" out in 22-25'

The accesses are getting a little rough, I used both last night and the West is the better of the two, but with 4-wheel drive they are both navigable.

Yep their yet there! Just fewer,Over 10 years I watched them slowly decline.When I first moved here in spring the ole girl got a 3 lber,2 lbers were common, but in the bay we'd have 15-20 boats every evening.As the large fish dwindled so did the boats.Now the 1&3/4 to 2 lber is rare but we yet get a couple each year.It was HARD gettin eaters then,now even the eaters are dropping in numbers.Their not my favorite to eat but those first in spring sure are tasty,and after the winter it sure is nice sittin on the dock every evening enjoyin the warm up!

Well maybe i need to try again away from everyone, do you think the big sunnies can be found in the deep water with the crappies? I was kinda wondering if a guy could get out their mid day and catch anything like sunnies crappies etc, or is it mainly a night time affair? We did best between 7-8 pm i suppose in roughly 20 fow. The big ones were running 10.5 - 11 inches but most were smaller probably 9-10 inches. They seemed to come and go alot and spook easy. Between me and the old man we managed 7 fish, and he managed to drop his phone in the lake. Te west access is navagable but man the water must have been bumber deep, and no real way around it other than to just take the plunge and go right through it after about 75 yards of water it starts to get more firm.

Ya oughta find the sunnies in bout 16' off the east shore,if ya can find little humps,there hard to find there small,start north of the east access out bout 150 yds and head north

those first in spring sure are tasty,and after the winter it sure is nice sittin on the dock every evening enjoyin the warm up!

sparce, thats why you live on the lake right??! Sounds nice, sitting on the dock in the evening, no boat to unload, load, no drive home, watching the sunset!

Yep its nice here,but at times I do have to load & unload the boat contents.thats hard work! Best thing is I have lower taxes living on the slew but lake access is a short motor out,And NO TRAFFIC back here.In winter I'm one of 5 year round places,No traffic,few people.

As of iceout we're on the dock every evening,bit chilly at times but not like this winter sh*t

went out on diamond again last night. Didnt fair as well as the other night tho. fished the same holes, ended up with 14 craps, 10-12 inches, 2 dink walleyes, missed 1 big one. vexi pretty quiet till about 7 or so. 21 ft water off the big point in middle of the lake.

How many houses are out there yet? Took mine off on thursday. Are the access ok?

Thanks for the good information on the inches of ice and access information this year.

skinny

• 2 months later...

Headed to Spicer for the Memorial Day weekend and would like to take the kids fishing. I am not bringing the boat with, so looking for some great shore fishing. They are both young, so I am not so concerned about size but am looking to give them the thrill of catching some fish.

What areas/lakes should I be looking at?

Theres a fishing dock on the east side of Games, by the public access, I've seen people catching sunnies there.

Best bet on Green is the fishing dock in NE corner by the bridge. The water flows into Calhoun. You will find smallmouth also.