• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Willmer-Spicer Area Fishing Reports

There was about 18 inches on Norway the other night. The ice is rougher than a cob where all the people were driving when the ice was slushy!!! Now its froze. Never saw it so rough!!!

which part of the lake were u on? anyone else have any better luck getting around on different areas of the lake in the past couple days? thanks

I'm taking my nephew fishing today in the Spicer area.I don't have any experience in that part of the state. My thoughts are to go to Green. I'm not looking for secret fishing holes but any guidance is appreciated. I just want the kid to get some fish up the hole so it doesn't necessarily have to be walleye. Any input regarding travel on Green is also appreciated.

Thanks

I always had good luck fishing the weedlines in the afternoon. Last year the weedlines were pretty deep. I was fishing in that 25 foot range on and inside turn or next to a deeper hole. I found fatheads wroked the best. Jigging with a spoon and minnow head also worked well. Hope this helps a little.

Travel got a litle worse out there today with snow melting. Try anything under 15' should be able to get perch and possible other fish.

• 3 weeks later...

nobody have nething to say about reports since November? Wow i'd feel sorry to be the guy owning a bait store in this area!

Eyewarrior and Flooringuy-

I noticed the two of you said the mortality rate of returning eyes back to the water after catching them in the deep is quite high. I've never heard of that myself. I'm not doubting you I guess I would just like to hear more about it. What can you tell me about it?

Me too Blake- I am more interested at the moment to drive a little out of the way to get my bait- just my opinion. the three bait shops that are in the area haven't been great I guess. Maybe its just my opinion though.

Jensens: look down the mouth of an eye the next time you pull it up from 20+' of water. The sack you will see is the fishes air bladder. The air bladder dont just go back in that fish is dead if you keep it or not. And it is the same with all species of fish. Thats why when a crappie bite happens in deep water the next spring there is dead crappies floating all over. Thats a start maybe someone else will chime in.

???? What no post from FM members has to do with the local bait shop. Hope you are not trying to talk bad about the Shops.

I have had no problems with the bait shops in the area. I go out of my way to go to J's. He has good live bait and will get you what you want.

Jensens: look down the mouth of an eye the next time you pull it up from 20+' of water. The sack you will see is the fishes air bladder. The air bladder dont just go back in that fish is dead if you keep it or not. And it is the same with all species of fish. Thats why when a crappie bite happens in deep water the next spring there is dead crappies floating all over. Thats a start maybe someone else will chime in.

Goto the Ice Fishing topic on this site, their is a topic on deep water crappies and their survival. Opinions on both sides. My own opinion is that if you pull fish from deep water they're dead. During clear ice winters I've seen lots of dead crappies floating under the ice on Games lake, people pull them out of the deep hole, put them back, they 'look' like they swim away ok, but then float to the top dead. Respect the fishery, either keep all fish from 30+ foot deep water or move.

J runs a good baitshop as far as I'm concerned, I have never had any trouble with him (other then his usual grief I get ) By the way J will you have shiners for me when I go to LOTW in march or are they becoming hard to get?

Thnx teejay,

When are you leaving for LOTW, I'm planning to make a trip by 19th March myself. Can try to save you a few shinners. Got plenty now.

J.

How is the driving on Norway? Haven't been out since the end

of January. Just wondering after the snow 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

Drove by yesterday and theres a road plowed to crappie town and two guys where plowing over to the bay west of the landing.

I'm pretty sure the bait shop owner has his son keep a nicely plowed road to crappie town. Its a good way to stay in business. I got on and off last weekend with a rear wheel drive Ranger.

Fished Norway today very nice day out nice and warm, i graphed a few fish on the vexi. Got one to bite but lost it. Not a very good fishing day! Whats with all the green stuff floating in the water? it was everywhere... i had to scoop it out just to clear my auger hole...

Leaving Sunday mid morning J, I will more than likely swing over and get some, do you oxygen pack them too?

I dont think theres a whole lot going on. Panfishing should start picking up soon with the warmer temps coming though.

Been a slow winter with all the snow. And yeah people are tight lipped around there or seems that way.

Thank You slurpie,I'll be out there Sat. Morning and try it.Wanted to try Diamond but I heard it was slow for pannies.