• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jwmiller33

behind island and fish lake dam/open water

jwmiller33

i have had pretty good success fishing behind the island lake dam in the summer time. i would go out for the evening bite and be able to catch 10+ walleyes. they were usually pretty small so i wasn't able to keep very many, but it was still nice to catch quite a few walleyes behind the dam.

my question is this... its winter, but the dams are still open and not froze over because of the current and moving water flowing through the dam. do you think i would be able to have any success if I fished behind the island lake or fish lake dams using my summer techniques with my normal pole and strategies?

im curious as to if there are any fish in the pools behind those two dams. i have had success fishing both in the summer.. my thought is, why not in the winter? it would be nice not to be limited to a 10 inch hole in the ice and to be able to cast and use some different techniques...

any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! take care

Raider4ever

I remember about 25 years ago guys going down below Island Lake dam in the middle of winter, wading out almost to the channel (couldn't of been much colder than the Knife in early April) and drifting jig and minnows through the channel for 'eyes. These guys were grizzled old steelheaders (one of them being my Dad) his philosophy was "any open water was good water." They had their longer rods with spinning reels (they left the Martin 62's and 72's at home for this one). They said the fishing was slower but the size was bigger. Now that I think about it: 1. They did get to go soft water fishing a lot longer than the rest of us now didn't they? and 2. They got to "practice" for steelhead season.

pinkfloyd4ever

I'd think it would be a magnet for fish, plus what do ya have to lose? Go for it

Big Country

Many years ago I would fish it through out the winter with friends and relatives. We would make a small fire to cook hot dogs and warm up by. Yes, it was slower fishing in the winter, but definetly fun. We would target walleye also and use a basic colored corky float off the bottom tipped with a minnow. Sometimes we were lucky to bring home fish, most of the time not. Great memories! BC

jwmiller33

thanks for your tips!im going to give it a shot and i will let you guys know how i do

musky hunter

I've fished behind the dam many times but never in the winter. But those fish would be no less aggressive than fish under ice. If you can catch a steelhead you can catch a cold water walleye. I say go for it, but be darn careful, not the time of year to go for a swim. You won't have much competition. One of the more innovative ways to catch a fish this winter. Good luck.