• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
tacklejunkie

What i learned in 2008

tacklejunkie

my fishing knowledge expanded a little further in 2008. partly because of the fine folks on FM answering my questions. a big thanks to all. but some were from trial and error. an old dog can learn new tricks. so i learned.

1) i hate dypseys

2) dead bait is actually better than live bait

3) i cannot stack downriggers to save my life

4) Gulp does not outfish live bait

5) not all walleyes are caught in 6 feet of water on the st louie

6) I dont care for braid as much as i thought but i do use it for my downrigger rods

7) lil diver and deepr diver disks from Big Jon do work well on the big pond

8) spoons are the best lure/bait on lake superior

9) fish scent works

and the last but not least

10)make sure my gas tank is at least half full before venturing out on the big pond.

anybody else?

Jack Stasney

Can't speak to some of your big lake jargon as I don't use the techniques enough. But I can't agree more with #2 and I caught a dandy bass on Gulp this year, but fish scents? Well I can't say I've really used them too much. Thanks for the inputs though, sounds like you tried some new things this year and I hope you try and try again. I mean they don't sell decent downriggers for $500 for no reason do they? wink

jwmiller33

#2? is that really true? i see jaxstas agreed with you... does that really work? whenever my bait is dead i always toss it and throw on a new one

shogun

dead bait better than live bait - I think this depends on what you are fishing for - catfish, sure I can believe that, but walleye? Live bait is going to work better than dead bait.

shamrock7

Check out the Lake of the woods forum and go back to the soft water posts. Walleyes were caught most of the summer on frozen shiners. Sure, fish were caught on other live bait, but most were caught on dead stuff.

Jack Stasney

yeah you might want them to be frozen

Northlander

I learned that just when I think I got it all on lock something comes along that shows me I really dont know jack. crazy

mrfish1991

even if the fishing isnt good in the boundary waters....the sunsets are amazing

gonnaphotoshop.jpg

BuckKiller

dead bait better than live bait - I think this depends on what you are fishing for - catfish, sure I can believe that, but walleye? Live bait is going to work better than dead bait.

not if your jigging

tacklejunkie

Originally Posted By: shogun

not if your jigging

caught my biggest walleye on the st louie and several saugars and walleye at LOTW this year on dead bait without any jigging.

its a scent thing. apparantley dead bait gives off a better scent. but dont use rotten dead bait