• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

school section ice?

Here's something that happend to me on that lake...

I broke the "No boat launching" rule on that lake one day and fished it in my canoe. Had a great day fishing, released everything. As I was about to take the canoe out of the water this a hole came flying up on a jet ski yelling at me telling me "no boat launching allowed". So I said "Its not a boat". he proceeded to rip into me and I calmly took my canoe out of the water and left.

I do believe I went back once or twice since then with no issue from the locals, but that guy really ticked me off.

I don't care who was right or who was wrong, but I'm sure I was doing much less harm to th lake than that guy on the jet ski. i know I was creating less noise for his neibhors.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hunter322

• Bigtime22

• mwodziak

• Jordyn Kaufer

Bigtime

It is actualy against the law for the state to stock a lake where there is no public access so you have a point. If they continue to stock the lake than there must be a public access, which means Keller Ave is still the access. Here is the state statute on this.

97C.201 STATE FISH STOCKING PROHIBITED WITHOUT PUBLIC ACCESS.

The commissioner and state agencies may only stock fish in waters where there is public access. The commissioner may stock fish in any stream within privately owned lands where the public is granted free access to and use of the stream for fishing purposes.

History: 1986 c 386 art 3 s 18; 1986 c 424 s 2

I did however look at the stocking records that the DNR keeps and from 1998-present the lake hasnt been stock with public money in that time frame.

the deal with school section is this. the land owners around the lake dont own the water. they own the land underneath the water. they cannot tell you to stay off the water but they can tell you to stay off their land around the lake. they can do this now because the water levels are low. so low that its the lowest ive seen them in 15 to 20 years. and the deal about the dnr hot shot that lives on the lake isnt totally true. the dnr "hot shot" you speak of is actually a retired conservation officer. and as far as i know they have never stocked the lake. there have been rumors that there is a public access somewhere on the lake. i dont know if this is true. the land owners are always so crabby about people gettin on the lake because of people like many of the hmongs that used to fish the shores off of the road and keep everything they caught, and because of people like mwodziak breaking the no boat launching law. and because of people like DannyB TRESSPASSING on private property. because there is no back way onto the lake. the "second left" that DannyB is refering to is private property, DO NOT GO OUT THERE!!!! another reason why land owners on the lake get so angry at people on the lake is because that lake is a fairly small lake. even at its high water mark in its hayday it cant sustain heavy fishing without being fished out. especially now that the water is so low. last time i saw the water levels this low the north lake froze out. and the boulders you are all talkin about were put there by the county or township because the side of the road was eroding from people driving out there. im sure all of you are wondering who the [PoorWordUsage] i am saying all this, yes im new to this forum and this thread caught me by surprise and when i saw the post from DannyB i was furious!!! this is why it is so hard for hunters or fisherman to get access to private property.

100% true. Alot of the people on this thread are the reason why it is so hard these days to get permission to hunt fish private property. Just find somewhere else to go, this site darn near killed that lake anyways. 20 years ago you could nock on a door and walk through someones yard and fish. Try that now and you will be laughed at and have the door slammed in your face.

LOL now that your rants are over, lets get back to reality. 20 years ago lots of things were different. 20 years ago you could leave your house unlocked, go away for the weekend and nothing had changed. Guess what; 2 years ago you could smoke in the bars too!! Times change, some for the good, some for the bad. If I want to fish that lake, I will. If a land owner came out and tried to kick me off it, I would seriously laugh at him/her. Call me names, call me what you want, the fact of the mater is, I have the right to fish that lake. Get off your high horses, get a life, ENJOY life, and enjoy the great things nature gives us.

In fact, I may just go there Saturday and drop a line and see what I can pick up.

Hunter and Oly,

The people on this site in general seem to be the responsible folks that do respect others and their property. I do admit that I have fished this lake the past few years and could have limited out on crappies on most trips. However, with my understanding and respect for the lakes in our state, rarely did I ever walk off of the ice with even a single fish (based on the size of the lake). I understood that even taking a limit from this lake could affect it adversely. The main reason that I am personally frustrated is that I am the fisherman that goes out, catches fish and respects the fact that people actually live on the lake. If I see others trash on the lake, I pick it up. I just hate to see people label those that they don't know as the "reason why it is so hard these days to get permission to hunt fish private property." Most people that I have had chats with on this site are responsible and respectful individuals. I know that there will always be the bad apple in the bunch, but until you meet any of us don't label us as things that we aren't.

I agree with you on 90% of that LindyRig and welcome to FM. The only downside I see to your train of though is how are you going to get on the ice? We all own the lake and the water, but if you cross private land to get to it, then you are in the wrong. If you find a way around that then you have a great idea.

I agree with you on 90% of that LindyRig and welcome to FM. The only downside I see to your train of though is how are you going to get on the ice? We all own the lake and the water, but if you cross private land to get to it, then you are in the wrong. If you find a way around that then you have a great idea.
Lay some 2x12's down from the road to the ice and drive a wheeler down and park at the school and have your buddy on the wheeler pick you up./? Just a thought, very plausible

Also, remember speaking of catching 50" walleyes ( i know its an a tale) out of any lake is going to have people pounding it no matter what, Its nice to know that you were able to catch these monsters but keep it too yourself, dont post it on a website that in a week will be all over the state by word of mouth. Its not only that the water level is low, its part of the township, Hugo has said that there is NO high water mark here and that you cannot access it by that means, When I was looking this lake up It does show that there is a public access or ruff access, but if you read more into it you will find that it is stated that the city of HUGO has nixxed this idea.

Shawn

You should be able to para-glide onto the lake and not worry about anyone accusing you of trespassing...although if you wanted to get your equipment on the lake you'd probably be better off with a helicopter or sea plane. grin

My suggestion, go to a different lake so you don't have to worry about getting arrested or fined, because it sounds like that's what WILL happen if you get on this lake any way other than an air lift.

A buddy of mine that I work with went out the other day and only caught one small crappie. He walked through the chain of lakes and he said it took him forever to get out there. I think he went down by the power lines. I agree, just leave it alone!

By no means was I telling anyone to tresspass, I was simply telling you guys how to get onto the the lake legally. last year when I fished the lake the power line access was the way we got on.The land owner who owned the land was there and had no problem letting us onto the lake. People are making way to big a deal of all of this. I agree with lindy rig we all have a right to fish the lake fish it and be happy. There were several home owners on the lake fishing with us and had no problem with us being there. The big problem was all the people fishing from shore and leaving a mess.

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression in m last post I didnt mean for anyone to tresspass. " ask and you shall receive "

In my post i didnt mean to stir things up. Like i said i have fished that lake for 15 to 20 years. All i wanted to do was to clear up some confusion. And as for DannyB, the 2nd left next to the tree farm with the power lines you can follow down to the lake, if its the one im thinkin of, i know for a fact the land owner didnt give you permission because that land owner is my dad. and he doesnt let anyone out there unless he knows them. there is no legal way to get onto the lake right now unless you know a land owner and get permission. AllDayFisherman the chain of lakes you went through as far as i know are not lakes anymore, becaurefull. you are right dannyb everyone has the right to fish the lake if they do it legaly. im sorry if the tone of my post upset anyone. all im asking is PLEASE be respectfull of land owners and the laws. it affects all of us.

Quote:
im sorry if the tone of my post upset anyone.

It helps if you don't call people out!!! Including an entire race.

And please don't blame crabbly land owners on ME. The marginal no-boat launching law came long beofore me.

Please read the DNR hand book. It used to state "Leagal access ALL waterways can be obtained if a public road is directly adjacent to the water." School Section is such a case.

im sorry for calling out an entire race. that was wrong of me. your right the no boat launching law came before you but you ignored it and broke the law. that is what im getting at. if i saw someone launching a boat where it said no boat launching i would say something as well.

Wow...I just saw this thread. I'll give you my story and run ins.

I've fished this lake for many years now. In truth...the lake is a public lake, said and told by many officer's I've dealt with there. I usually see the same officer and we both know our rules. He just checks up because he gets a call from one of the "land owners". I've done nothing wrong.....and we just chat a bit...say our good byes and go our way. I see him 99% of the time I go out there. Let me tell you guys what he told me how you can fish the lake legally.

To be able to put a public road by the lake, the city has to have a certain amount of "public" land. So from the middle of the road out.....you'll find I believe it was 33 feet of public land. The only time you can fish the lake is if the water is not beyond the 33 feet or so of "public" land. How do I know this? The very same officer that I see everytime for the last few years told me this years ago. You'll find the signs of no tresspassing are just a bit beyond the 33ft or so of public land. The owners know this. But they just don't want ppl to access the lake..period. You cannot...I repeat CANNOT launch a boat on the lake. Only owners have boats on the lake. BUT you can bring in a canoe. How do I know this...because the same officer told me so years ago. BUT..not off the street. You have to walk your canoe in. You can park at the residential street up the road legally...BUT, you may run into trouble with the owners. It isn't illegal to park there...but they will probably trash your car because you're fishing the lake. It has happened many times. Sad but true. If the water level is up and you park your car on the side, you can walk the canoe along the public road and set the canoe in the water (without touching land)and be fine. No tresspassing, no problems. Now...if the water is low, beyond the mark...and you'll be setting foot on land, it is ILLEGAL. Now he told me...hypothetically, if you run, jump, and land in the water on your canoe, you won't be tresspassing because you are on a PUBLIC ACCESS lake. But...we know that isn't possible.

So...there are LEGAL ways to be on this lake. It isn't the Laws or rules that make it difficult, it is the people. You have surrounding land owners that "think" they own a lake...which they don't. Then you have IDIOT fishermen that just trash our sport by leaving their trash, keeping over their limit, and are just plain ignorant. If we work together, we can make anything happen. I only fish this lake early when the water is high. I don't park and launch off the road. I park and walk my canoe in. I've had run ins with the locals and officers all the time. Every single time, the officer tells them the rules and points out that I followed the rules. We all go home fine. I have never gotten a ticket or been forced off the lake before. But I have had my run-ins with mad owners stating I'm on a PRIVATE lake. Go talk to the local officers regarding the lake. They'll give you a wealth of info. Take this how you will. I'm not responsible for anyone's actions.

I've probably talked to the same officer. He basically just chatted for a while and said he was called out to satisfy a homeowner that called in.

As an outsider, I would love to see some kind of rugged carry-in access to that lake. I think that homeowners would see less trouble from others trying to access the lake illegally. This would also restrict the lake to canoes and very small boats that should not disturb the lake and keep many others out. This would also give legitimate reason to enforce no-parking and no-boat launching rules elsewhere.

well i am heading out there on sunday.

i'll let you guys know how i do..

my friend lives on the lake and he has been catching some really nice crappies!!!

Kauf

well i am heading out there on sunday.

i'll let you guys know how i do..

my friend lives on the lake and he has been catching some really nice crappies!!!

Kauf

Jordyn do u thing you could get me and a friend on the lake, we will show you where to go for the big boys.

• 2 weeks later...

so how did ya do out there jordyn? where were ya catchin em? my dad owns land on the north lake and my uncle ownes land on the south lake. was thinkin bout headin out there this weekend. send me an e-mail. clinton(DOT)lutz(AT)gmail(DOT)com

So if the land owners call the CO on you every time you are out there and he has to come check it out, are they not breaking the law? You cant go calling 911 over and over again every other day if you dont have a real emergency, its a waste of resourses, and calling the CO on people that are legally fishing would also be a waste of state resourses. The CO should be able to inform the landowner that the fisherman was doing nothing wrong and that they should not call the CO because people are fishing on a public lake. And if it continues to happen there should be some kind of citation the CO could give the landowner for wasting resourses. I can see it if people were breaking the law, but comon I cant stand people that try to stop you from LEGALLY fishing!

katman...well said! a buddy and i used to do the exact same thing as you. we caught and released some very nice bass out of that lake. did not make it out there this past summer....heard about the lake level being down...figured that would hinder coming in from the road.

you got it all twisted chad. its not that the land owners call when they see people fishing the lake. they cant, if they called and said someone is fishing the lake the county boys would laugh at them. ill give you a for instance. i was out goose hunting near the lake one day, i know its not fishing, and we shot at some geese and the neighbors horses went crazy. they called the county they came out and talked to them then came out to us and asked if we had permison and said your more than 500 feet away so have a nice day. they call when they see people tresspassing and people launching boats and parking in no parking areas. they are breaking the law. if your were to come in on a plane to the lake you would be 100% completley legal. and they dont call 911. they would call the county non emergency number. im sure if the county boys had other more important issues to attend to they would not come out and check it out. but if they are just out on patrol and have nothing better to do they would check it out. and its not a waste of resources. the law is, no boat launching and no parking with in a half mile of the lake. if people do they are breaking the law and should be punished acordingly, and the law be upheld.