• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishkaholic

school section ice?

fishkaholic

how thick is ice and is it driveable with compact cars? any info on fishing?

Jordyn Kaufer

Well you cannot get access to school section anymore!

but i can because my friend lives on it and lets me use his back yard to get on the ice.

there's plenty of ice out there and lots of action out there!

only been out there once this year and caught a few crappies and sunnies

Bigtime22

Great lake with no access! Have had excellent luck with slabs the past few years but not this year. I am hoping that access will be available in the future, but right now I dont see any way of getting on this lake unless you do know someone or can get someone to let you on from their property.

Jethro80

No one taking the ditch to get on the lake anymore?

Bigtime22

Not possible anymore. They added a wall of boulders that cannot be driven over. I guess the only way that you could do it is to find a place to park and walk out from that northern section of the lake. I went there closer to first ice and just decided it wasnt worth it. Hopefully something changes, I hate to see a quality lake like that turned private. I feel like even those that dont live on this lake should be given a spot to get on.

Jethro80

Noooooo. That used to be one of my favs. That sucks!!!

OakdaleFMR

I will be there with the plow to push the boulders out of the public right away i.e. "the ditch". Sorry to those who think they own our public waters but every road has a public right of way and if that right of way extends to the high water mark then there is public access. I will be there today before the game with my tape measure. I hope the local "land lords" want to discuss the issue with me. I always accessed the lake off the road, but I haven't been there for a couple years because on of the land lords came out and harassed me when I had my young kids along. I think today I will show with my tailgaiting group seeing how we are watching the game in Grant.

honda4life

dumb question.......where is school section? Never heard of it.

Jethro80

Are you serious? I can help get the boulders out of the way.

Jordyn Kaufer

Great lake with no access! Have had excellent luck with slabs the past few years but not this year. I am hoping that access will be available in the future, but right now I dont see any way of getting on this lake unless you do know someone or can get someone to let you on from their property.

hey where were you catching them out there??

UdeLakeTom

They did the same thing a few years ago to Long Lake just across from the North St. Paul Fleet farm. First the blocked the easy access, then they added boulders along the road to take away the access the 4 wheelers were using. frown

dougger222

I talked to the farmer that owns a bunch of land around the lake last Winter. He got in big trouble for doing some land modifications a few years ago. His points seemed valid but the DNR didn't agree!

Fished the North part of the lake and caught a bunch of tiny sunnies. A lot of anglers were tip up fishing in getting bass though. First and I guess now the last time on that lake.

We got on on the very North end and crossed that lake then some land and got to the middle section. Guessing the boulders are on the ditch on the very North end?

Jordyn Kaufer

well i will be going fishing there soon because my friend lives on the lake and i'll let you all know how it goes when i go!!

Sandmannd

They did the same thing a few years ago to Long Lake just across from the North St. Paul Fleet farm. First the blocked the easy access, then they added boulders along the road to take away the access the 4 wheelers were using. frown

I have been looking for a way onto that lake for a couple of years. Anyway to get on it at all? How can they put up boulders on these lakes so the public can't get on? How is it legal to do that?

UdeLakeTom

I wish I knew...somebody told me that unless a lake is land locked, there had to be a public access to it. Not necessarily a marked one, but there had to be one. Since this lake and School Section appear to come right up to the road, I would think that would make for a lake access??

Bigtime22

I would think so as well. My only problem is that there is nowhere to park within a mile of the lake. I know there is a school about 1/2 mile south of the lake, but I just haven't bothered with doing that. My brother and I used to drive down that ditch on the north end of the lake and walk around the bend to the main section of the lake. I always thought that if a lake bordered a road, that was considered access. That might be the case, but the parking situation poses the problem. I just hope this mess is figured out since it is a pretty close lake to my parents. I have thought about contacting the DNR on this to find out the exact truth, haven't gotten to that. Let me know if anyone hears anything on this, I would like to be informed on the reasoning.

Bigtime22

Originally Posted By: Bigtime22

hey where were you catching them out there??

You get me on the ice and I will definitely bring you to the spot. Let me know if you are ever interested.

kywest

I went to High School in Stillwater back in 97-2000 and my buddy and I used to fish the very north end of the Lake. There was a house on the east side of the road that runs North and South (just south of their house the road is underwater now), we talked to them about parking at the bottom of their driveway and they were more than happy to let us park there. Mind you that was darn near ten years ago. I would venture to guess if you asked someone, they would let you park in their driveway.

jdog

any boulder moving ill help i seen this happen early on ice season i guess the right of way went away when the water went down its not 13 feet but its still how do you actualy judge it in the winterisnt snow really water

Huey

Originally Posted By: Ude Lake Tom

I have been looking for a way onto that lake for a couple of years. Anyway to get on it at all? How can they put up boulders on these lakes so the public can't get on? How is it legal to do that?

You can still walk on to Long lake from the N end by the boulders.

If you want any company out there, let me know. I live by there and just started fishing that lake. Nothing but tiny panfish so far.

TheIceFishingKid

If you go to the DNR website on the lake survey for School Section it lists the access avalable as using Keller Ave. public right of way. So this is a legal access to the lake by foot not by vehicle.

PeteS

I called the conservation officer asigned to that area and he said that Keller Ave is no longer a legal access due to the water level being so low. You would have to walk on the owners land who posted all of the no tresprassing signs and believe me, he doesn't let anyone on the lake there.

The boulders were put on the North side of the lake by the DNR and another landowner. The landowner didn't like that the road was deteriorating and so the DNR placed the boulders every 5 feet so a car/truck will not fit, but a boat will. So I guess when the water level is high enough again you will be able to launch you boat there, but don't think of parking anywhere near there or someone will call the Sheriff. Pretty smart thinking.

When I was a kid we would fish off the road with no one else ever around. I went back years later and you couldn't even find a spot to fish. The entire road was lined with people fishing off the road and blocking the right of way. Weeks later the no parking signs were up and very well enforced.

I just chalked it up to another one of my favorite fishing spots down the drain.

BM JIM

YEP! ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

TurnUpTheFishing

I called the conservation officer asigned to that area and he said that Keller Ave is no longer a legal access due to the water level being so low. You would have to walk on the owners land who posted all of the no tresprassing signs and believe me, he doesn't let anyone on the lake there.

So the water is low that shouldnt mean we cant access the lake. I thought public water/land was to the regular high water mark meaning just because the water is low the land that is now there doesnt automaticly belong to the closest lakeshore owner it still belongs to the public whether water covers it or not.

DannyB

Last year there was a back way onto the lake follow the road past the school it should be the second left after the lake its a dirt road next to the tree farm follow it till you see the power lines if you can get onto the the ice ther were several spots to drive onto too. Follow the power lines this will get you onto the lake. we did this last year without incident

I havent been there this year but I'm going to try soon I dont think its right to deny lake access