• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

a Jeep almost in tonka/ muskie caught

Lindyrig81

Was out on tonka last night, pulled a 15lb fat muskie in on a fathead on a small plain hook on rattle reel,20ft deep.. And once came in I passed a Jeep cherokee that was going out, I got the 4 wheeler off the lake and into the truck when I got off, I looked back and I saw one taillight higher than the other, so I unloaded the 4wheeler and ran out there, the jeep got too close to bug island and the rear drivers side wheel went in. Wasnt just the top layer of ice, it went IN.. I hooked up my winch cable to his front axle, and gunned the old polaris 500 in reverse.. While he drove jeep and his buddy pushed, Thank god I had chains on the back tires, we got it out..

But be careful on tonka, ive seen 8-12" and 4-6" under snowpiles..

Way to go on the 'ski, I bet that was fun.

Its still pretty sketchy out there in some spots, I have only driven out where I have punched holes and checked the thickness of the ice. Im glad you were able to get him out of there, thats kind of a scary situation. Its nice that you stopped and helped out, good to know that people still help each other.

There isn't enough ice on the main lake for car - truck traffic.

I've been out 3 times in 6 days in 3 different spots and wouldn't think about going out in a car or truck yet. I fished in a spot with 6 inches of ice today near Big Island.

There are a couple bad pressure ridges that I found on the ATV.

ya I hear that, the jeep wasnt main lake, over by deephaven, but those two islands, lighthouse and bug island are not good to go between them and shore or to close to the edge with this weather we've been havin

I' d have to say we are out there pretty early this year!!!..Be carefull, this is not quite the time to go off the beaten path!..

Just a further caution: my buddy's truck went through the ice the other night about 150 feet to the right (west) of the landing near the shore. And there were about 10 trucks parked on the ice at the landing! It was the landing that's just west of the marina on Wayzata Bay. A towing company (Shorty's) came out and helped get it out, but it cost a lot of money and it took a long time and it was very nerve racking. Don't let it happen to you.

jeez, thats no good..

Ya im glad to help anyone anytime, If that happened to me I would want help ASAP, I would probly have a small stroke if a wheel went in, let alone a whole vehicle..