• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Jim Uran

I just took a cruise over around and looked at a couple lakes and there is some serious drifting going on on the south and the east sides of the lake. Off road travel in those areas looked to be reachable by Bigfoot at the very least lol

Jim Uran

Didn't get to fish today because it was a busy family day but I took a ride at prime time and there was a lot of fishing activity going on. Lots of folks on Pike, quite a few out on Cass right out in front of the wayside rest. 

I headed North around the lake and didn't see anyone in Andrusia, one house out on Allen's Bay was visible from the road, there was a few trucks parked alongside the road near Kitchi. 

Tomorrow we are headed over to Winnie to see what we can find. 

Jim Uran

25" of ice last night on Cass lake, yeah it rained but I don't think that did much damage to the sheet. Traffic is slow out on the lake right now but the fish are hungry!! 

• Like 1

smalliehunter

I'm a bass guy.  Will be staying at a cabin on turtle River.  Any good largemouth opportunities in kitchi or the chain?

ducksnbucks

Smalliehunter,

The entire Turtle River chain has great bass fishing. Ranging all the way from Little Turtle to Cass. When I lived in Bemidji I fished them all, and had good luck on them all. Great thing about those lakes is you can catch them in a variety of ways. In the mornings I tended to focus on docks with Senko's or topwater around vegetation, trying to find areas with deep water close. Once the sun got higher I switched my focus to points or underwater humps and fished the deeper weed edges (10-15') with a jig/worm presentation drug or bounced along the bottom.

One other great option for all these lakes is to go along the cabbage edge and cast a #5 or #7 shad rap. It's unreal the variety of fish, and quality, you can catch. From nice pike, big bass, walleyes, and even big crappies. Great fun not knowing whats going to bite next.

I wish I could give you a specific lake to go try but they are all great. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

roony

My largest largemouth to date was caught on Turtle River Lake. Twitched a #13 original Rapala in the weeds. 

Borch

Spent a few days ice fishing in the Cass Lake area  for panfish, perch and walleyes.  I found crappies suspending over basin areas and willing to bite plastics or crappie minnows.  

20180202_184705.jpg

After finishing up with crappies I turned my attention to perch and walleyes.  I found a shallow saddle,(12') that had some quality perch on it.  With the cold front bearing it was tough getting these fish to commit but did get several to go including this fat 12"er.

20180203_085803.jpg

Just around dusk did pick off a 16" eye out of a school cruising through.  

6431.jpeg

Decided to pull the plug early and head home with temps dropping, the wind cranking up and morning temps -20 degrees. Dead stick was dead.   A small jigging spoon worked very subtly worked best.  Too much jigging and the fish would slip away.

• Like 2

Jim Uran

Went out for pout last night. 37 feet of water and we caught a couple. Marked more but they just weren’t active enough to celebrate lol. Here’s my love catching her Valentines Day pout. 

56F431CB-0936-400F-8FCA-5B8B02F44EDD.jpeg

• Like 4

IceHawk

Wow awesome colors on that pout!

Borch

Very cool looking fish!  Nice catch Jasmin.

jlw034

First timer checking in. My folks bought a place on Child/Boy River. Looking forward to spending more time in the area.

Wondering if anyone knows if there are roads plowed on Woman Lake? Was hoping to try and catch an evening/morning bite this week.

Thanks

IceHawk

First off welcome to the site and thanks for posting. Not sure about a road plowed on Woman but broad water and lantern bay are good  places to find panfish on that lake. More than likely there will be a truck trail to both as they are pretty popular spots. Good luck 

Edited by IceHawk

jlw034
52 minutes ago, IceHawk said:

First off welcome to the site and thanks for posting. Not sure about a road plowed on Woman but broad water and lantern bay are good  places to find panfish on that lake. More than likely there will be a truck trail to both as they are pretty popular spots. Good luck 

Thanks! 

And I just realized I posted this on the Cass lake forum.

Bear with me, I"m kinda slow lol

ducksnbucks

I was up fishing from last Thursday through yesterday on some area lakes. Wow, lots of snow on the lakes and it is starting to show its weight on some of the lakes. We fished one lake in the evening Friday and came back Saturday morning to 3-5" of water/slush in a large area around where we were fishing. A group a little ways over from us had the same issue as water was coming up their holes. Just a heads up if you are venturing out to the lakes in the area that have fresh holes, there may be water and slush around.

Fishing was decent, bluegills up to 13.5 ounces, crappies up to 1 pound, pike to 30", walleyes to 20", and bass to 18.5". All of the fish were found in less than 11' of water with most being in 8-9'. Good luck if you are heading out!

• Like 1

Borch
1 hour ago, ducksnbucks said:

I was up fishing from last Thursday through yesterday on some area lakes. Wow, lots of snow on the lakes and it is starting to show its weight on some of the lakes. We fished one lake in the evening Friday and came back Saturday morning to 3-5" of water/slush in a large area around where we were fishing. A group a little ways over from us had the same issue as water was coming up their holes. Just a heads up if you are venturing out to the lakes in the area that have fresh holes, there may be water and slush around.

Fishing was decent, bluegills up to 13.5 ounces, crappies up to 1 pound, pike to 30", walleyes to 20", and bass to 18.5". All of the fish were found in less than 11' of water with most being in 8-9'. Good luck if you are heading out!

Great report!  So how much snow is there?  

ducksnbucks

When we got there Thursday morning I would say there was about 15-18" on the lakes we were fishing, more on the south sides I am guessing due to the NW winds blowing it over there. We got about 2-3" more on Thursday night and then about 5" more on Saturday night. I would say there is close to 2' of snow or maybe more in some cases everywhere right now. given the 30-40 degrees all of this week it should pack down some by next weekend but I am not sure that is good or bad for travel as it wont be as fluffy. Just watch out and be ready for slush pockets! Lots of weight on the ice right now.

• Like 1

jlw034

Fished a couple days last week south of Leech. Woman was slow, one walleye one northern. Enough snow to make driving a truck sketchy. Never got stuck-stuck, but had to rock a couple times. 

A small lake near Woman put out some nice gills. Like stated above, lots of slush on this lake. My bobber rod was floating a couple inches above the hole. 

This was before the most recent snows, and there was already a good foot on the ground in windblown areas. 

It was dang near knee deep in the woods. Checked my trail cams that got left up...first wolves on camera.

• Like 1

Jim Uran

Lots of snow still on the lakes and snowmobiles seem to be dang near the only option to get out where you want to go. Tulibee are going on Winnie, perch and pout seem to be the ticket on Cass. I plan on getting out tomorrow somewhere with my brother. Will report on what we find. 

• Like 3

Jim Uran

Went and fish pout mostly the last two weeks. It’s been hit and miss but fun nonetheless. Finding them lately with. Spawning marks and in depths from 15-36 feet, just depends on the night. My buddy even pulled up a nice whitefish last night. Lake travel is still tough, lots of snow and drifting that’s slowly getting melted down.  30+ inches of ice though  C0B89B8D-2854-4884-915B-6D86934D2584.thumb.jpeg.b09f71c324f5a1b5af441c871e78235e.jpegF0821A39-7702-4F10-B938-696A5BDE7762.thumb.jpeg.fc0ad2c7b83a33ccf15ab5d296428253.jpeg647AABD6-F999-4FC7-9DCC-22EF9515F3C7.thumb.jpeg.62439554fe221146de015e15b539e196.jpeg398C5F2E-C283-491D-8978-C070C105647F.thumb.jpeg.a2b826fde4ddcfd717ebdc196e954b2e.jpeg

• Like 4

eyeguy 54

beasts

Wanderer

Jealous...

Borch

I got out on the Cass Lake chain this weekend with a group of 10.  We found walleyes still hanging out shallow and scattered.   Jigging with shiners or gulp in 4-10 fow got several walleyes in the livewell.  With the heavy wind we also had a good daytime crank bite.  In the evening trolling cranks was productive as well. 

Saturday morning I stuck a 43" musky trolling for eyes.20180519_090008.thumb.jpg.22f18a42e367e88f587ff8429d3cb200.jpg

Not a great photo but I was fishing by myself and wanted to get it released quickly.

Panfish were hard to pin down with them bouncing shallow and then disappearing with each weather change.  With wind gusting to 25+ miles per hour finesse presentations were difficult.

Water temps ranged from 53-60 degrees.

• Like 3

Borch

Day one...

Wind 16-25 mph out of the ESE made for some rough fishing so my wife relaxed back on shore.  Didn't get out until noon time and fished until 4 pm ended up with 2 nice walleyes and several small ones tossed back.  Jig and a leech in 17-19 fow was what they wanted today.   

Went out for a couple hours in the evening with the wind backing off very slightly.  Kept another 3 nice eaters.  Crankbaits up shallow did the damage.  Tossed back several small eyes as well.

• Like 1

Borch

Well here's a day 5 update I believe.

We've had sime oretty unstable weather with wind switching several times 180 degrees, storms and did I mention the wind?   Man it has just been howling.  Fish have been hard to pin down.  One day in 8-12 fow and the next 25 fow.  A jig and shiner have been the hot setup but shiners are in short supply.   A jig and leech or crawler have been effective at times.  The evening bite has been hit and miss.  One thing's for sure is that there are a lot of small eyes active with about 1/4 of fish catch being 15" or larger.  Tons of 13-14.5" eyes being caught.  

Today the wind was blowing 25+ mph and fish on the edges if structure were hard to finesse.  I noticed some significant mud slicks being formed and looked for a flat in a wind funnel area that was really stirred up.16172.thumb.jpeg.27a2698ae86f20f8d6530e824f8701e1.jpeg  I started trolling cranks shallow and made contact with hungry eyes right away.  I sorted for a couple hours and then got chased off by the weather.   After the storms passed I headed out for an evening trolling cranks.  The eyes were crushing the baits but most were under 15".  Although I did get in some nice ones as well.

20180615_114743.thumb.jpg.db537e205d570a9309a7f451a2891cd5.jpg

Borch

Well time for one last fishing report for Cass Lake. Water temps are in the low to mid 70s.  Walleye fishing continues to go well.  During the day eyes are being caught in 8-12 or 15-21 fow.  Walleyes are biting on pretty much all livebait offerings during the day.  Key is that with the very clear water you need to get the baits far away from the boat as they are spooking away. Once you see these fish visually it is very hard to get them to bite.

In the evening trolling crankbaits shallow has been effective.  If you're not getting bit move to a different spot.  The fish are up and active.  Here's my livewell after a friend and I pulled cranks for a couple hours one night this week.

20180620_112124.thumb.jpg.05133d75843542b5e5c6fb3021daf0e4.jpg

Here's a pic of a cute musky I caught on a gulp leech and 1/8 oz jig in 20 fow.

20180617_145520.thumb.jpg.f422f10c1de54466ed2b9ab5ca42b455.jpg