• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Cass Lake Fishing Reports

Hello , I new on this site but noticed you fished the CF Tourney.

I'm from Savage , used to live in P.L.

How di you guys do in the tourney? My son and I placed 13th.

Lost the biggest fish. Got bit off while setting the hook.

Felt him for a couple seconds. Would not come off the bottom.

That would have put us in the top 5 I bet. Been fishing Cass over 20 yrs.

Used to have a seasonal at Anglers Beach and just sold our place at the Marina and bought a lot on Mille Lacs. Going to keep fishing Cass though for openers , fall and the CF tournaments. DNR needs to figure out how to fix Mille Lacs. I say they should bribe the natives with proceeds from lisenses,

Good ice on the east side of Pike Bay, but the west side is a different story. There is a crack on the w side by where it breaks down to 13-14'. You can get across it, but there is only about 5" of ice over the second break. Saw a few wheelers out there yesterday, but I walked. Won't be driving out until well into the new year. Sounds like Cass has better ice from a few folks I've talked to.

How much snow is on the ice? Headed up on saturday to fish north end of cass for some wally's smile and other area lakes for pannies.

Pike Bay is doing well. My co workers were out on the eastside in 15ft of water yesterday and kept about 30 perch and 4 walleyes. They caught three times as many perch but were only keeping the big ones. This was from about 2:30 until 5ish.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to hear also, some buddies and I are heading up next Thursday. Hows the ice and any fish being caught? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

12"+ of ice everywhere i went yesterday. perch biting all day, walleyes from about 5pm - 6:15pm. plus some bonus eelpout.

• 2 weeks later...

in front of Break on the Lake. Deeper water. 28-30ish feet. Caught some dandies! A few pushing 10 pounds...

Good Luck!

Ken

I am heading up there the first weekend in Feb, I am staying in a sleeper so the spot is already picked out, I dont need advice on location. What would be nice though, since I have never fished Cass hardwater, is if some of you guys in the area could give me a little tip on lure/color. I am a seasoned ice fisherman but I would never turn down a little help. Perch/Walleye is the target, thinking about bringing my portable up but not sure yet. Bringing up the 11 yr old and one of his buddies who has never iced fished and his dad is not really in the picture so hoping to make it memorable. I am sure it will anyways sleeping on the ice but a couple nice fish coming up the hole would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

Fished the Cass Lake Chain for quite some time now.

You can never go wrong with my favorites.

Gold Swedish Pimple

Buckshot Rattle spoon. Glow Green and the blue and white one or gold.

Deadstick in other hole with a shiner.

Have everything else in tackle box in case these for some reason don't produce but if they don't hit any of the above you might be out of luck anyways.

Good Luck!

Thanks man. Pretty much what I was thinking. The classics in Gold, Green and Blue. Anything to stay away from?

Buckshot rattle spoons, green glows worked for us, we were in a rental shack in about 9 fow perch action all day only one wally frown

We did see 3 northerns and one musky come through but nothing hit the tip-ups Friday, to windy on Saturday for tip-ups. We had a great time on the lake, about 17" of ice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well my wife Wanda and I make it up for some crappies fishing on the smaller lakes in the area. With all the snow getting around was a bit of a chore even with sleds. Once you got off the sled and tried to cover some ground it didn't take long to find out this wasn't going to be easy walking around in 13-15" for sugary snow. We didn't see a lot of slush and there appears to be around 36" of ice on the lakes we fished. The resorts on Cass Lake had several roads plowed for those hoping to get out there. We were after slabs this trip and the reports were that the perch action was a bit inconsistent yet. I drilled about 1/4 of the usual about of holes looking for fish and it definitely showed in our final tally for the trip. For us fishing was slow but we did catch some quality fish. Sometimes minnows shined but it seemed that it took plastics to entice more fish to actually bite.

Here's a couple of nice slabs that I was able to convince to bite. The biggest slab of the trip was a fat 15 1/8" that was released to grow a bit more.

2-13CLCrappies_zps53660b2a.jpg

Sounds like we'll be getting dumped on again the end of this week. If the snow melts/settles I hope to make it up that way again in a couple weeks to chase some panfish and perch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I spent all of last weekend on the Cass Chain.

We had to work for the fish we caught, but fared pretty well over all.

Caught fish anywhere from 6-20' Shiners seemed to get a little more action as the weekend progressed for us.

Boated my personal best at 29.5" and took plenty of good eaters.

Saw water temps from 48-54 and we travelled all over and covered a lot of water.

Some of the males were still dropping milk in the boat.

Saw lots of people anchored up in the river mouths by evening, but didn't try that at all - heard people were doing well after dark in those areas.

Good luck out there!

Spent Sat and Sun chasing muskies for the opener this weekend. Found it very difficult to find any green weeds yet, but we did manage to boat a 34" ski on Sat battling the wonderful weather and wind.

The nice day on Sun with the complete opposite conditions seemed to shut everything down for us.

Found water temps from 54-59

• 3 weeks later...

So the report for June 8-14 is.............another GREAT week on Cass

9 of us brought back 670 fish:

9 limits of rock bass (not many 3/4er lbers but very, very respectable/solid-sized ones all week),

4 1/2 doz Crappies (alot of real nice 13 1/2"ers---Dick's Bay was hot one day and they were gone the next),

4 limits of gills (we threw back many, many small ones this yr),

5 3/4 limits of Perch,

and a dozen each of walleye, pike, and LMB.

My biggest was a 19" LMB and in my opinion it was an inch too short for me to have it mounted then.

Our group's biggest walleye was a 24"er but the rest were real respectable 15-17" eaters...I did let 4 small ones go back while perch fishing on Friday.

Sunday was rain all day so after a morning in raingear we spent all afternoon and eve drinkin in the lodge. That was it though for the bad weather as each succeeding day the weather improved and by Wed am it was very sunny and pleasant all day---almost too hot to fish---ever day! This was one of the calmest weeks in history for us. We spend most of our time in Allen's Bay. By Thurs it was so calm we didn't need an anchor. We first had a ceremony to memorialize my buddy's dad who left us last Oct. After a few celebratory shots of Scotch in his honor, we ventured out and ended up trying 10 spots. Our boat only kept 3 gills and a walleye for the day---I almost went skinny dippin'! My sis and her neighbor and I made it up to PikeHole....but no more Off-Sale of beer really made it a long ride back. We had a chance to stop and say hi to Clark at Horseshoe then. In the meantime, our other boats hit PikeBay and got some fish but it was also "too hot to fish" in there. But then the wind arrived on Friday and the Perch turned on bigtime for us. My boat had luck down by the Marina and our other boats did real good near the Potato Islands. A nice end to the week.

We didn't really attempt any Pike fishing and only tried our eve walleye fishing 3 times. So......we GOTTA go back---and we are already booked for next year and can't wait.

I will try to post some pics in a few days.

Fished Cass lake yesterday and the bit was good. First time I ever fished the lake and found limits of walleyes for 3 guys. The bit was some shoreline and some structure. Leechs worked very well. Also got a few fish on worms. Good day of fishing.

• 4 months later...

If anyone by Cass lake and surrounding lakes have any ice news please let us know, It wont be long !!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Heard there's are a few brave guys walking out to fish on some small lakes near Cass lake this past weekend. Anyone one been out or have any luck around there ?

I was by there yesterday and have traveled the area from Rapids to as far as Cass Lake the last couple days have not seen any one fishing anywhere yet, but there is a lot of spots that are real close to being ready that I have checked.

• 3 weeks later...

9-11" of ice. on the top of that there's 8" of slush and then 6-10" of snow on top of that. kind of tough getting around last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody been on Andrusia or Kitchie or anywhere around them over the holiday's? Just wondering if the slush froze up or what's its like out there. And what the bites been like! Headed up in 2 weeks hoping to get the wheel house out somewhere... but depends on weather and ice conditions. please reply !