• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Cass Lake Fishing Reports

Maybe I'll be able to give that a whirl this week after work, thanks! 

Went out to the east side of Pike Bay this afternoon, caught a bunch of perch in a mixed size nothing bigger than 9" though. Also caught 3 little dink walleyes at 13". The northwest side access was loaded with people; lot's of folks pulling their hard houses with wheelers and sleds. That's the reason I headed to the other side, walked out straight west about 400 yards to the hole and fished from 13-22'. Best luck was in 22' for me, I don't know i'm still learning these waters but it sure is fun! One of these days I'm going to hit the motherlode! 

My son and I tried Lake 13 on Saturday out on the main point in 17', 22' and 25' with no luck and nothing to speak of on the flasher. With the ridiculously clear water we probably should've went out even deeper. About noon and after moving a couple times we decided to pack it in and drive up to Pike Bay. We ended up going out from the same marina on Cass. We probably fished same break as you Jim in about 25' from 1:00p-6:00p with nothing to write home about. Nice perch and an 8" rusty crayfish and few missed fish right at dusk. Didn't mark much at all. I agree it's so fun on new water. The hunt for fish is almost as fun as the catching. Looking forward to next time out later this week.

Edited by Tadpoletodd
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lake 13 can be tough.  So many options up there that a person can hop around until you find a good bite.  That area near the wayside rest can kick out some nice perch.  I had thought about making a quick trip up there this weekend but will wait for more favorable weather conditions.   Should make some ice though!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Borch we are getting our first dose of seasonal weather this weekend lol... I took Friday off of work and plan on spending a long evening into the night out in my one man portable tomorrow night. I heard some folks have been having a little luck out on Pike Bay after dark for walleyes: sounds like that is what I feel like doing tomorrow lol. It's my bday Friday so I wanted to get out and enjoy myself out on the ice with a few coldies before the frigid temps kick in on Friday! 

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys! I went out to Pike Bay tonight, straight out from the northwest access, I didn't get out there until right at dark though. I found a decent drop from 14 to 18' of water and fished in that 18 foot stuff. I set up a tip up at the top of the drop with sucker minnow. Didn't catch crap, didn't even mark a fish after dark man!!!! I should have skidded my big butt out to Cass instead lol. I did hear (after the fact) that they have been biting a little bit deeper though. Closer to 30'. This damn cold front is going to put a hurting to the fish bite though, but it will add some inches to our ice cover :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you for the report Jim , wish the fishing was better for you. How was your Birthday ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone have anything to report out of the area ? Especially Ice conditions. Thanks

Mike

Hey Jim , Are you still with us ? How can I live my ice fishing life through you if you aren't posting reports ? Lol

Hope all is well with you !!

Mike

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey! The deep freeze kept my butt parked at home all weekend with the kiddos! I haven't been out since Thursday. I took a ride after work just to see if anyone was parked out on the ice, sure enough there was someone parked a couple hundred yards from the wayside rest on Cass! I didn't see any tracks out on Pike but there was some bigger permanent shacks out there. Hopefully I can make it out Wednesday night after work,  that's my next shot at heading out on the ice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From the landing I would head NW towards the point and out about 300 to 400 yards We were in 12 FOW.  Jigging with about a quarter sized spoon jig with a crappie minnow. Like I said its been a few years but should still produce. Hope this helps and let me know how you do please.

Thanks Mike

May even be a little closer to the point , I am not sure what it is called . Sorry as I only know how to get to the spot . That is the only spot that I have ever fished on cass so I don't know the names of things on that lake.

Mike

Heading out on the ice after work today, not sure where to go but I think I'll be chasing crappies instead of walleyes or perch. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Was going to go and try to chase some panfish tonight but time wasn't on my side, cruised out to Pike bay again and caught some cigars and one that was eligible for eating. The drag out to the spot was a killer tonight... BLAHHH! lol I made it out to 26' at dark and set up! Found 16" of ice!!!

On January 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Weathertite said:

May even be a little closer to the point , I am not sure what it is called . Sorry as I only know how to get to the spot . That is the only spot that I have ever fished on cass so I don't know the names of things on that lake.

Mike

I think that Sailstar bar.  There are several smaller bars/points along that whole shoreline.  There's one,(Tom's bar I think) that runs almost out to the point off of star island.

Nothing recent, I haven't been out in a week!!! Talked to the bait shop guys this morning before class and they have been doing ok on Pike bay with a mixed bag of perch and an occasional decent walleye!  There are guys fishing in 8' of water and there are guys fishing in 30' of water. Take your pick I guess, I'll be going out after class this afternoon and hopefully kick some butt!

** Added this, I was out last Thursday in 24' of water, got out late last Thursday after work before dark. Drove out onto this flat between two humps. Fished for a few hours and caught some ok walleyes in the 14" range and one that was close to 16". I marked some nice fish after dark that just wouldn't take the bait, hooked into one for a few seconds and it was a rod bender, nor sure if it was a walleye or a burbot!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you  for the report Jim , I hope that you do well and please keep us posted.

Mike

I fished the north end of Pike bay tonight, there is a bad azz road plowed along the north end that has some pretty mean drop offs into the main basin. I picked a spot that came up into a shallower feeding flat, but I stayed on the edge of it in 26' of water. I fished from 4 until 6:30 and didn't catch anything lol.  I'll be out again this weekend to explore a little more. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Great day on the ice with the family.

• Thumbs Up 1

Skipped fishing on Sunday, went out Monday morning and fished the north side on a 12' flat right before it dumped down into deeper water. The fish were aggressive, caught a ton of medium sized perch and 2 small walleyes before the flasher died. I decided to bring the fam out again, I was going to set up in that same spot but someone was there so I set up closer to the south side of the lake right on top of a big drop. Bad move, we only caught like a half a dozen small perch and they sure weren't aggressive at all. 

I plan on making it a weekend out on the ice this coming weekend, looks like warm temps!! I'll be setting up the clam six pack over a little bit deeper water and flopping my big butt on a chair and wait for the fish to come to us!! Can't wait. 

On 1/24/2016 at 7:09 AM, Jim Uran said:

12552523_752493501561896_27985222485055312376400_752493498228563_27193284014602812548888_752495821561664_56465351558002312549083_752507171560529_464280442056600Fished the southside of pike bay yesterday in 14' of water. Took the kids out and fished from 1 until 5, about as long as they could hang lol They took turns hauling in perch, nothing huge but the biggest ones topped out at 10", my step daughter caught her first walter, a cigar but it fought harder than the perch did!! I pulled up a 22" walter

Love those pics @Jim Uran :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Went out Friday night and got set up a half hour before dark in 27' of water. Caught a few decent perch and then it went dead until dark. I missed 4 fish in a 5 minute span, all rod benders. Then a couple minutes later I pulled up 2 17" walters, I marked a few more in the next hour and no takers... Fished a majority of the next day around the same area and didn't catch much but a few small walleyes and perch and one northern.  Won't make it out until this weekend now Im sure. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Biggest I've caught is 10.5" and caught a few of those over the weekend out on Pike bay. Fished in 13' the first night and half the day on Saturday. 1 small walleye and a hundred mixed sized perch.  Then it died, moved out to 27' the  rest of the day and caught tons of perch and 4 walleyes right at dark and then it died again. It was a fun weekend. 

• Thumbs Up 2