• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Cass Lake Fishing Reports

Trolled Kitchi with Shad Raps Saturday and Sunday. Brought back a limit both days to keep the cabin fed. Saturday night we hit the mouth with jigs and got six more. Went out there again in the misery that was Monday during the day and popped some dandy perch! All in all a good opener.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thanks for the report. Sounds like it's pretty similar to last year. We'll be heading there this weekend for our annual spring guy trip.

Was Cass lake free of ice by Sunday afternoon?

The other boat in our cabin reported ice still out by Star Island. Wind and rain should have it gone by this weekend, I would think. Didn't sound like it was too solid. Good Luck!

Was up there this past weekend and there was ice on the north side of Star but was gone on Sunday. Found fish in 8-13 feet dragging minnows.

Our annual trip to Kitchi was a lot of fun. Found water temps from 46 to 53 degree. We caught our limits of walleyes although I would not call it easy fishing by any means. Found good bite of jigs and gulp minnows for shad raps in 4-8 fow. The evening crank bite was most consistent. Males are all still showing signs of the spawn still happening. Did get into some panfish this afternoon but till then it was very spotty.

Never seen so few people there on the weekend.

Lots of eagles, ducks, loons and greebes on the lake.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Bunch of shy guys and gals on this page! I hear tell of a pretty good bite on the north end of the lake! If I had the $$$$, I sure as heck would be out there with my jig and shiner!

I'll be up in about 2 weeks. Looking for some good reports.

Sorry I don't have any details but I do know a group that was on Cass last week and did very good.

Our group arrives this coming Saturday so here's hoping the weather cooperates.

Headn to the Cass Chain June 28- July 4, hows the bite. Will be staying on Andrusia but near the South End. Hows the channel to get to Cass? deep enough for a 18 ft windshield boat?

I'll be up on Cass for two weeks prior to your stay and will post what I find out. Water levels are good right now but I haven't talked with anyone using the channel into Andrusia.

Monday was the first day I was able to make it out due to the weather. Pretty good day with about 30 walleyes caught but most were small,(12-14"). Found lots of fish in 14-20 fow of water. Caught fish on cranks, jig and impulse minnows, crawlers and leeches. Surface temps ran 60.5 to 63 degrees. Water is high. Sorry no pics as I was fishing by myself today. Biggest fish was a 20 1/2" eye. Did have a big muskie on for awhile before he bit me off. Don't think you'll have issues going between lakes unless you need to get under something. The channel into Pike Bay is a not go for my boat anyways. Not enough clearance under the train trussel.

Borch, thanks for the report.We are coming up in a couple of days, hopefully the walleyes are still cooperating.

Found sunfish today buried in thicker reedbeds. No beds yet. Getting them out of there is pretty tough as they wrap around stuff. A 20' cane pole would have been the ticket. Didn't target eyes today.

Inconsistent...

One day or evening they are going good and the next very, very tough. Schools of all the fish seem to be in transition. Right low light periods seem to be most consistent. The early evening crank bite is pretty good. Spinner rigs are starting to produce. Don't forget to bring some crawlers. Been best producer... Sunfish and crappies still haven't spawned yet. Surface Temps having around 70 give or take a couple of degrees. Water is very high and shorelines and docks are taking a beating. Lots of skeeters!!!

6-8 fow on flats or edges of holes in flats. I did best on the mid lake areas around Star and Cedar islands.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out last night.. Got 19 walleyes between 15" and 24" trolling cranks in 10-14 FOW. IT was lights out! ended up catching 7 more this morning on a jig & shiner in 22'-29'FOW. Not a bad 12 hours of fishing.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out last night.. Got 19 walleyes between 15" and 24" trolling cranks in 10-14 FOW. IT was lights out! ended up catching 7 more this morning on a jig & shiner in 22'-29'FOW. Not a bad 12 hours of fishing.

So we used to have a camper at Cass Lake Lodge when i was a kid, and now many years later my mom has put her camper back on the lake, and im heading up there this weekend after not being there for almost 15 years, i know it's generally been a decent night bite kinda lake but that about as far as my knowledge goes since i was a kid, anyone got any pointers for a new comer to the cass lake area as a fisherman? Cranks in that 10-15 fow still doin alright? what kind of structure do the fish seem to hold to? ledges? flats? any specific colors that are hot for this lake? any info will help me gettin into a couple walleyes for a fish fry this weekend, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Let's talk about some fishing. With these dropping water temps the fish are starting to migrate towards their fall hangouts. Walleyes are starting to drop back down the breaks after spending about a month up on top of the flats and humps enjoying the reduced light penetration caused by the algae blooms. We have been doing very well with live bait rigs tipped with crawlers and leeches in that 15 - 24ft range. As the temps drop further the migrating young of the year minnows will switch the bite towards a deeper jig and minnow presentation. The deeper the fish go the more important it is to watch your electronics. If you are not seeing fish don't waste your time. Your depth finders read more of the bottom the deeper you go. That's why when fishing 6ft you might not see fish on the graph but are putting the smack down on them. With a 20 degree cone you're only reading 1.8ft of bottom when that shallow. At 30ft you're reading 10.9ft of bottom. So use that depth finder first before dropping a line. Get out there and have some fun. Maybe even take a kid with!! Uncle Ted said "Teach your kids to hunt so you don't have to hunt for your kids" The same applies towards fishing. Let's get these kids hooked on fishing so they don't get hooked on other things!

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Cass for the first time Aug 30 to Sept 5th. A difficult lake to fish for someone unfamiliar, but not impossible. Surface temps started in the 69/70 degree range the first Saturday and ended up around the 67/68 range by end of day Friday. Had limited success on Walleyes on the northeast side of wishbone early in the day dragging crawlers and leeches on live bait rigs. Had to sort through tons of little perch to get a few walleyes in the boat. If we would have a clue how to fish for perch, they were apparently catching them on fuzz-e-grubs in 9 to 10 foot in the weeds. We nailed a few jumbos, but didn't focus on them too much. We fished a few afternoons in Kitchi for northerns and had a ton of luck. Nice numbers and quality of fish throwing Sand Cats in the southeast portion of the lake over weeds. Even managed to boat and release a 45" muskie just for the fun of it.

Can't wait to try Cass again next year!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thinking about heading up there tomorrow, any ice updates would be much appreciated. No wheeler, prefer to drive out of the east side.

Thank you