• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka Muskies

Hey Buzzsaw,

I should take you up the August 13th thing......

Give me a call when you get back Sunday nite. (Or Monday)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• Trailblazin

• muskieboy46

Was out yesterday from 10-2. Notta. I was really surprised because the wind and the clouds looked great, but I didn't even catch any pike! What am I doing wrong! The only thing I caught was a 4lb, 17.5 in. bass on a leach under a bobber in 20 ft of water.

Went out Friday morning 5:30-10:00. Had one take a bit out of my prop bait, but no hook up. Didn't see anything after that. Went back out on Sunday morning 5:30-10:00 only saw one.

Cupper,

Give the "slop" a try. I did very well over the weekend while bass fishing. Smaller topwaters had them moving, all mid-day. Bucktails over and around the milfoil have been good too, although low-light periods have been better for those.

TB

Had no luck this weekend - focused on the walleyes primarily. Going to hit Tonka hard for Ski's all week and weekend. Will focus shallow and around the slop/milfoil and rocks. If that doesn't work - will move out in a little deeper water (15-20) and cast in and around the edges. I know they are there.

I'll report later in the week!

Any suggestion on how to fish for 'ski's in this cooler post-frontal weather pattern? will topwater presentations work as well, or is crankin' and jerkin' more the thing to do?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

I have always referred to the cold front as the high pressure frontal line pushing through the area moving a lower pressure area out. When the barometer starts to rise, the front is coming through. As the skies clear, the actual front has passed, and usually an area of higher pressure takes over. Winds change from counterclockwise around the system to clockwise (Low Pressure to High). What that means here is a West, Northwest, or North wind, clearer skies, and cooler temps. The INSTANT the high starts pushing to the east and Southerly or Southwesterly winds pick up, the barometer will begin to fall or stabilze, depending on what is coming in from the West. As the skies show high clouds, the influence of the leading edge of the High is waning, and fishing usually gets better for me.

Look at this link for wind directions, easy to see the low in the East that was causing the NE winds there. Bookmark this page for your future fishing trips, too.

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/aviation/uscurrentsurfacewinds_large.html

Some more info and advice Calvinist:

Late summer and early fall can be a great time to hit shallow, dark lakes. The opportunity for a shallow water bonanza presents itself as the cooler nights start to mixing the entire lake (typically these types of lakes don't stratify). This is the time that mindless shoreline fishing can become very productive. Bucktails and topwater over the thick, green weeds really shine. But, don't forget the steeper stuff too. Big cranks/jerks around the cleaner structures (rock/sand) can also be good.... especially early and late in the day. The "dog days" of August can still pose some problems.... but as the sizzle starts to fizzle... the fish will perk up. A lot of those hard to find fish hanging out over the deeper mud flats start to cling to the shallower structures that we all can identify and locate.

As for colors... if the fish are agressive you can't beat a bright, gaudy orange pattern. For a more natural look I like to mix in some flashy golds. Better yet, just grab a Golden Shiner Slammer crankbait and you can't go wrong. Well... considering this is musky fishing we are talking about (ha ha - its never easy).

I stick with topwater primarily until the temps fall well down into the 40's. I also throw a lot of large spinnerbaits like Rad Dogs and Funky Chickens. I then break out the the Undertakers and Manta's and 10" Jakes when the water really cools down.

Hope this helps....

Unfortunately I have plans to be out Sunday evening...I can't change them. I wish you luck!

BTW, was out breifly on the west side last night. Had 2 nice skies hooked. I got off near the boat, the other busted my 50# Tuff line. frown.gif Also got countless norts (25-35") and a 19.5" bass. They really liked bucktails, but Jackpots were exciting as well. Over and around the slop.

------------------
Tonka Boy

I should be out there Sunday morning in a red 16' Lowe, fishing for 'skis for a couple 2-3 hours. Probably work Wayzata bay...maybe I'll see you you out there.

Trailblazin, I worked Rush lake pretty hard yesterday...nada. I think the fishing was still pretty well shut down (on Rush anyway) after that big cold front; couldnt even get other species to bite. Thanks for all your advice wink.gif.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 08-13-2004).]

Calvinist, Tonka boy and anybody else...
I will be out on Tonka dumping in at the Greys Bay landing around 6:30 Sunday morning along with "Shorelunch" and "Beef46" to do some fishing. If any of you plan on being out let me know and we can say hey to each other.

Calvinist, I'll look for you. We are starting in Wayzata bay as well... what time will you be out there?

Planning on hitting Tonka tonight, fishing into the night. I will try to get a post on here when I get home -- maybe help the rest of you focus your attack on the weekend. I will be casting and trolling, I will let you know what I see and/or catch.

Good Luck!
Steve

I'll be out Saturday morning in a white Lund Fisherman with a Suzuki. I'll post a report too. Good fishing.

Should be on the water by 6am. I'll probably just stick to Wayzata bay.

Question...When you catch muskies on bucktails on Tonka, are you catching them on larger profile muskie bucktails, or smaller profile baits, like say, Mepps #5?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 08-13-2004).]

That's what I thought, but just wanted to confirm, seeing that many emphasise downsized baits for muskies on Tonka, without stating exactly what to throw.

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

Cal-

I've been using the double tail Harassers. Brown/black/tan/and red have been the best color skirts, but the big kicker had been the brass colored blades.

I'm casting out over the heavy milfoil and burning the bucktails back to the boat. If I slow at all, I'd be in the weeds.

Hint: There are all kinds of little humps and reefs on the lake that are unmarked. If you're lucky enough to have a good 1' contour map, you'll find them. Most of my action has been in places with no pressure (i.e nobody knows of). Also, don't forget slop shorelines off the beaten path.

------------------
Tonka Boy

0WgDtAo4bZPSmzhMx9GrLeyoBGmKpMc6MTTE5PWf
43" caught Wed. mid morning by Rangersport,man was it chilly out there!

[This message has been edited by Frank Rickard (edited 08-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Frank Rickard (edited 08-21-2004).]

Hey guys...

I just moved this weekend and I have no access to the internet so unfortunately I will be unable to check this thread regularely for a few days. I just want to thank everyone for being so helpful. I also want to wish everyone luck. I hope to be out on the lake periodically this week. If you see a white and blue smokercraft(40hp merc) with one-two people in it not catching much, it's prbably me... say hello and share a fish story!

47.5" caught on a shallow raider after I had a follow on a Marv's Spinnerbait. Raised 4 other fish that were hot but no eaters!

Great day to be on the water!

I was out Sunday Morning into the early afternoon and had no luck tossin' for "ski's. I tried Wayzata bay - the point across from Spirit Island, Gibsons point, a little around the east side of Big Island, Hardscrabble point breifly, all around Crane Island.... then we wereoff to Fletchers for some cocktails with the mercy flag flyin'

None boated Sunday AM in Wayzata bay, but did raise one on a my super Top Raider, size unknown. Also, had a follow on a yellow Mepps Giant Killer with (Tonka Boy wink.gif) "brass" spinner. It was a huge fish, in fact, she followed along side my boat for about 5-10 second shocked.gif. Although I try to focus on each and every cast, this cast was the one in hundreds that I didn't stay focused, wouldn't you know. I'm sure I didn't react normally or logically under that situation... Oh well, live and learn.

BTW, has anyone had problems with the eyes of the Shallow or Deep Raider coming off? That has happened to me twice now...awesome lures, but just wish the eyes would stay on. I tried to paint on some eyes with acrylic paint, but it came off after a few casts. Any suggestions on where I can get some eyes to glue on muskie lures would be appreciated.

Trailblazin, what color did you catch yours on?

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 08-16-2004).]

No trouble raising muskies over weekend - lots of trouble getting them to hit anything. Did manage to land several pike over 30". Those guys were not shy at all. All the fish were in tight to weeds. Anywhere from right on top of the slop to about 10ft where the weeds start to fade out. Nothing out deep trolling at all.

Had a change of plans and went to Mille Lacs on Friday night. Not a good idea.

Saw one mid 40" fish and then got blown off the lake. Had some serious waves from the East, and they were forcasting light and variable -- thought it would be a great night. :-(

Sounds like some of you had luck on Tonka!