• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka Muskies

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• Tonka Boy

• Trailblazin

• muskieboy46

By the way, when I went to Thorne, they had 20% all muskie lures in the store...a pretty darn good deal! I would call before making a trip, because I didn't note how long this sale lasts.

Good luck!

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 10-08-2004).]

Thanks Tonka Boy....ended up heading out of carsons bay and fished for the little bit of day light left out near diamond reef. No takers on topwater or spinnerbaits. Did see a lot of fish on the depth finder in about 30' of water.

Was out this morning but didnt see any except one that was sunning itself that we spooked. I did manage to take a swim off the pier(i kinda fell in while launching the boat, burrr). Its fun to laugh about now but i didnt really like fishing in wet clothes. Howd everyone else do?

Trevor

[This message has been edited by muskieboy46 (edited 10-09-2004).]

Hey all,
Friday evening produced no fish which is partly due to excessive wind. It calmed down towards evening and had one nice norski follow up to the boat, but other than that no dice. Is anybody else having better luck than I?

][=][*/~\*\/\/*][<<*R'

Muskie fishing was about as good as it gets (without actually catching one) last night! I took a couple of first timers out on the east end, looking for tiny unknown humps. On only our second spot, we had BIG gals moving all over the place. For a short period, it was just about every cast that we stirred something.

It really didn't matter what we threw as long as it stayed above the milfoil. If anything, the Monster Bow Spinners moved more than anything else, but topwaters were a close 2nd. We simply positioned the boat inside the weeds and made outward casts. 9 times out of 10, we would see the fish hanging on the surface, so it was just a matter of getting them to bite. Unfortunately that didn't happen this outing, although dang close.

Regardless, both of these guys left with a grin from ear to ear. Last I heard they were heading to pick up rods and reels so they can go again.

Our final tally for the 2 hours was 8 follows, 1 hit, and 9 fish moved away from the boat. We drew quite a crowd, but none had any luck as far as we could tell. It must have been our day.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Tonkaboy- So when you fish the inside of the weeds you cast out on top of the milfoil and bring it back across the sand? I've tried to fish the inside since the outside hasnt been working for me but i lose confinence because all i see is sand and no fish.

Trevor

[This message has been edited by muskieboy46 (edited 10-12-2004).]

for some reason both muskies and northerns do this. No one is sure why. You can't catch them when they are doing this. Heard a fisheries guy venture the guess that they are digesting a really big meal and are trying to get as warm as possible. Doesn't explain the head out of the water to me. Pike can see very well in the air so maybe they are just curious and checking things out.

Huskin-

That is exactly what we were seeing the other night. We startled 9 on the surface, but also got 8 others to follow. Most likely they were curious, but I know they are catchable once in a while. I've done it more than a few times.

Muskieboy-

You don't actually want your boat positioned over the sand. It is too easy to scare the fish that way.

This isn't a rule of thumb, but I'll often position my boat right over (in) the milfoil during calm water. That way I can work inside, outside, and over.

If there is any "chop" what-so-ever, I'm going outside. By outside, I mean positioning the boat in deep water and making casts over the slop. Example: Your in deep water...if you cast out 100 feet, your lure will go 25-50 feet past the weedline. You want to cover both.

Don't forget to make a few casts outward as well. My biggest muskie to date came on a Jackpot over 45 FOW. My boat was in 14' on the edge.

------------------
Tonka Boy

To all,

Last night was a beautiful night to be on Tonka. The water was like glass, the temp was decent, the fall colors were great, and the sunset was nice. It was tough fishing, but I did witness a wierd phenomenon.

I was casting weed edges when I saw what I thought was a muskrat, but this "muskrat" was out a considerable distance from shore. I decided to investigate and discovered it was a muskie swimming with its head kind of out of the water. I casted a topraider over its back and brought the lure back towards the fish. When the lure got about two feet from the fish, the fish just thrashed (not at the lure) and disappeared. I threw a suick, and bucktail back and nothing.

I moved to a similar spot hoping to be onto some sort of pattern; I was. The next spot I went to I saw a muskie doing exactly the same head out of the water thing. Once again I threw a topraider over the fishes back. The lure brushed the fishes back on the retrieve, and it just sat there! I threw again over the fish, brought the lure to the fish, and nothing. It slowly sank out of sight; I proceeded to throw my whole arsenal toward the fish to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this? What if any tactics/lures would work in this situation? Please share your thoughts advice. Thank you.

Where is everyone, how are you doing fishing wise? Let us know.

/-//_/ _/` /< / /\/

I saw muskies doing that in the spring, assumed it was spawning behavior. Probably not spawning behavior now, though I now that humans are occasionally known to undertake spawning behavior even when reproduction is not the object.

ice

Where is the closest bait shop to the Gray's bay landing that sells giant suckers for quick strike rigs and how do I get there from the launch? I have thursday and friday off this week and am looking to get some quality time on the water. Any advice... I have never fished fall muskies before and am not sure how the presentaions change with the cooler weather.

take care

Cupper,

I believe Wayzata bait and tackle has big suckers, but beware, because they close around hunting season for awhile. If you want some info on fishing for fall muskies, pick up the latest edition of "Muskie Hunter" magazine. There is an article in there about quick strike rigs as well, albiet, not a positive one. I wish I could get out with you one of those days, but I have to work, and the days are getting shorter and shorter (however, walleye fishing is definitely an option after dark). Maybe we can hit it some weekend between now and ice-up? Anyway, I'll give you a call one night this week.

Rather than just soak suckers try slow trolling them on big spinnerbaits. Move just enough to keep blades spinning along the weed edge. I use single hooks like CJ Spins or Grim Reapers and 8" suckers or red tailed chubs if Wayzata has big ones. Has been very effective even into late November. You can rig up a treble stinger if you want. Just use a short wire leader. This allows you to cover a lot of water and makes hookups a little easier and safer for the fish. Haven't had a musky swallow this setup yet.

No reports out here recently on this thread, so here's mine.

Went out Sunday and threw around Big Is. and Gayle Isle....nothing. Not too any others out either... Had one hit, didn't see, could have been a pike/bass. Was trhowing over tops of weeds and parallel to weed and bouy marked edges. Water temp was at 54.

Looking at going back Thursday, any suggestions? Stick over weeds, or deeper with cranks? Any input/advice would be appreciated. Any success will be relayed as well.

Thanks!

Have been out last two days in Upper lake. Didn't move a single fish. Was trolling/casting bucktails and spinnerbaits on the deep edge and over the milfoil. Noticed sunnies had moved back inside weededge yesterday and saw some swirls inside but most likely small pike. Water is now very clear and temp is 50. Going out Thursday - this warm spell should get the fish moving!

Thanks for the info, heading out Thursday as well, but if 'tonka stays quiet, may go to White bear. I agree a couple warmer days should get some fish moving, I hope.

Went out today from 1:30 to 5:30 and it was TOUGH! Didn't see anything until about 4:30 when I had a hit and lost it in Carson's bay. I saw a flash , but I couldn't tell if it was a small pike or skie. That was on a black and orange bucktail. Had one on a big sucker and bass jig combo about 10 min later in the same area, but he didn't get to the hook and the sucker pulled out of it's mouth. Again I don't think it was anything huge. Anyone else have any luck??

Going out tomorrow to try it agian.

FINALLY!!! Today at 10:30 am I caught my first muskie!! What a rush! She went 42". She hit a gold/yellow lilly tail trolled behind the prop-wash in 10 feet of water. I actually saw her body come out of the water on the strike! I am on cloud nine right now. I cannot thank everybody enough for all of the helpful tips. This was the experience of a lifetime and I can't wait for number two.

Congrats on your first, Cupper! Sounds like the fever has set in. Now for that 50+" right? grin.gif