• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

OK guys im leaving coon town in a bit, gotta get a 12v light bulb and ill be out there. Look for a tasn jeep COVERD in road salt and a blue 5600 and a guy in blaze orange pants prolly wandering around guessing a good spot since ive never been ther before lol Im gonna try to put my screen name on my house too...

OK guys im leaving coon town in a bit, gotta get a 12v light bulb and ill be out there. Look for a tasn jeep COVERD in road salt and a blue 5600 and a guy in blaze orange pants prolly wandering around guessing a good spot since ive never been ther before lol Im gonna try to put my screen name on my house too...

yup I have my screen name on mine with and HSO sticker on the front right window and chris has one on his door. if you see me wondering around outside I will have a cammo jacket with and orange inside and a green gander mountain hat. grey GMC truck next to a blue 6x8 house on skies with a tin roof. If you go out give me a call ill point you in a good direction. ill be out probably around 9 or 10. (952) 836-8035

FYI the best bite is from 3-dark

hey guys, thinking of hitting waconia for the first time this season this afternoon/evening, just wondering what the traffic is like out in the pilsbury/center reef area or east end of the lake. also how much ice is out there? thanks

ice is 13-16 i believe... with more 16 then 13

Well it was GREAT out there tonight!!!! Too bad I didnt see any of you guys out there I fished Pillsbury the crowd seemed smaller. Fished in 15 feet of water. LIMITED out I had 5 fat 9" a 10 a 11 and 2 12's. My first time out there and WOW theres a lot of people out there. I cant wait to go out again. I didnt get ure # buckkiller till I just got home. I was REALLY hoping for some eyes tongiht but to no avail. I dont know a good spot for them. Heres the pics of the 2 12's on my 12" cuttin board. Enjoy guys!!

IMG00003.jpg

IMG00001.jpg

Those are some nice slabs man! Thats really good for metro fish. It looks like a zoo out there, at least we know ice fishing isn't a dying sport.

I like the idea of putting the screen name on the ice house, only problem is that people will be able to ID me and know where the hot spot is wink

HAHAAH good point lol. Dont worry Ill run distraction for ya.... EVeryone follow me im a wandering soul that just gets lucky lol

ok i am thinking about going out there tomorrow in the morining, i am way up in anoka and on the map i see there is an access on the west end of the lake. are there roads plowed off of here. or where is the private place that people are paying the fee to enter??...thing is ive been catchin lots of 7-8inchers in my area and would like to give another place a try.

right now you can drive any place on the lake except for a few drifts on the lake there isnt much snow, the ones that plow the roads are Intowne Marina just off of Lake Street in Waconia

hey burnham if you live in the anoka area we should hook up sometime and catch a few. I live right off main street near target. coon rapids. But I tend to drive a good hour each way usually to locate some nice fish. t.marquardt @ yahoo.com

yea i usually fish in the chisago area, which is 45 minutes from my house, other than the river we dont have much fishin in our backyards. are you going to be out there tomorrow at the get together thing??? i most likely will and will be with my usual fishing buddy(8point). if you are we can figure somethin out while there. otherwise i will definately shoot ya an email. i am in high school, i work, and lift 3 days a week for football lol so im busy, but i think i dont have anything on tuesday, if i dont see ya tomorrow i will shoot ya an email!

YEAH JUST SHOOT AN EMAIL. IM 50/50 FOR TOMORROW. GOT SOME REALLY NICE CRAPPIES OUT THERE BUT I HEARD THE ST CROIX IS PULLING IN SOME 12 TO 14 INCHERS TOO AND SOME EYES. SO IM ALL ABOUT GETTING SOME WALLEYE. PROLLY GONNA HEAD THERE TOMORROW.

yeah thos are some nice ones. I did farely well out of center. I had on crappie that was 11 1/2 inches(11.8 oz) 2 sunnies that were 8 and 8.1 oz pluse 20 around the 5-6.5 oz. I think I kept 5 other crappies around the 9-10 inch.

lol intowne stopped taking pics of all the sunnies, unless you really get a big one. there was a 10.8 oz sunnie brought in today... getting bigger.

hey honda4life if you go out tomorrow give me a call ill give you dirrections to my house and we can chat for a bit... you can give me some info about those nice crappies you got lol. ill give you a few walleye spots you can try if you don't tell anyone else.

hey buckkiller I will surely do that. I saved your # for the next time im out, Ive been pressing the idea of St croix so I THINK that may be the battle ground tomorrow, but next friday ill make it back to waconia, I had a great time. FINALLY got a GPS tonight too I cant wait to use it. If I make it out to waconia tomorrow we will chat for sure tho! Good luck guys!!

honda let me know if you are going to waconia tomorrow, I think I am going to go that way as well and I will meet you up there

were there a lot of full size trucks out on waconia?

yup plenty of ice, people have been driving for over two weeks like eric said and so far so good, nobody has gone threw... yet.

ahahaah

hey nolan... im kinda leaning toward st croix for some big walleye and 14" crappies... but if the guy im going with bails WACONIA here I come! lol

lol well you never know... stuff could happen but for the most part the ice is 16-17 inches with a few 13 inch spots so you should be more then fine. I wouldn't hesitate to drive out there.

Hey Guys.

Wondering if anyone hits the east side of the lake. I was thinking about getting out there wednesday and thursday afternoon/evening. Red's looks like a good walleye spot. Never been on the lake before. Would think the eyes have moved out to main lake structure. Looking for any suggestions.

I was thinking about dropping in at the public access on the east side. I will be on a black polaris 800 snowmobile and fish trap guide. Stop by and say hi. Will probably be doing a lot of spot hopping. thanks

yeah reds usually does well in the winter for walleyes if you can find it (need GPS) otherwise andersons does farely well for walleyes as well. I would suggest staying out of any groups, they tend to push walleyes out of the area GOOD LUCK!

Dave - The house you are next to is indeed my house. We will have to hook up some time ou there. My house will probably be getting moved away from the crowds as soon as i have time and the ice allows. Which house is yours? Direction from my house?

Tom, I moved mine off there on new years day. We took it up to Minnewaska over the long weekend.

Ours was the one just out from your house. It has white vinyl siding with a brown stripe and silver doors. We were only there for a week. The only night that I did fairly good was the night right before I took the house off.

Dave, Wish I woulda saw you were out last night I woulda stopped by and said hi. My son is not into Ice fishing this year, so I'm usually out alone. Only caught 4 crappies last night, this morning I marked alot of fish, but they were too light of biters. Then My wife called and guilted me to come home early.

I was all alone too. My son isn't too into ice fishing this year either. Maybe after the "shine" wears off of his new toys he got for x-mas he will want to go again.

Hey all. I've been on the "get together on Waconia" thread and somehow had missed this one. I'm new to fishing Waconia and could sure use some tips on what all these names of places mean! I've only been on the SE corner, on the hump that juts out from shore (does it have a name?). I wanted the W side, but saw that it looked a bit overpopulated. Anyways, what are all these names people keep throwing out there?! "Pillsbury", "Center", "Reds", etc... Not trying to steal spots, just want to know exactly what people are talking about. Thanks!

Hi JW, sounds like you may be on andersons, I'm still turned around out there. Reds reef is to the right if launching from east landing off of 92. Center and pillsbury are out from in-towne on the ice road. Stop in at the marina, they are great, you can get bait, jigs, food, and look at their map of the lake.

Good luck!!

Thanks for that. However, I'm new to the entire Waconia area. Not sure what or where In-towne is... I typically search around the DNR Recreation Compass to find new lakes and that only shows me where the DNR accesses are, so that's what I use. I came off the DNR access on the E side and went SSW. Looking at a road map, if you were to drive straight W off of Island View Rd and into the lake, that's where I was. There is a small shallow finger there that sticks out and doesn't follow the shoreline. We dropped the AQvu and it was pretty barren down there with a silty bottom. Obviously the W side of the lake seems to be pretty popular and we try to avoid the ice cities if possible, so we stayed where we were. Flasher was showing activity ALL day, but it was all Perch. Seemed pretty small, too. What's the bottom makeup under the "ice city" over there? I'm assuming that the city is on top of the 20' hole and extends over to the 5' hump there on the WSW side? Sorry for being so needy, just trying to find some consistently decent fishing!