• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia Fishing

Waylon&Willy

Anyone heading out to Waconia tonight? I will probably be fishing by myself or with the dog in my perm. If anyone wants to get in out of the cold give me a call. I won't gurantee any fish but I will guarantee warmth.

cell - 952-393-7895

Leave a message if I don't answer.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BuckKiller

• CARVER_COUNTRY

• honda4life

• iceman1212

good night of fishing had 20 good sunnies 6 good crappies and a 6-14 northern two biggest crappies 12.6 and 13.2

Nice report - very nice night of fishing.

How was the ice? I am thinking about going out Wed afternoon and wondering how safe it is to drive out. I'm overly cautious and typically follow the rest of the crowds anywhere I go.

HEY 516 WILL YOU BE OUT THERE ON THURSDAY AT ALL? I WOULDNT MIND CHECKIN IT OUT FOR A COUPLE HOURS. KINDA A TREK FROM COON RAPIDS.

i dont know what that access is like i usually go out from intowne they have good roads out, they give good ice reports, and good people to do business with

We'll most likely be getting bait there...how much to get out from their access? Isn't only like $3? Do they have roads plowed to spots that are worth fishing, or does a guy have to venture off their roads at much?

Thanks bro...I'll report back what happens for us. Going out with a couple of buddies so hopefully we find some decent action and can bring home some for a meal.

How about tomarrow morning?

Good Luck Fishing

I'll be out there tomorrow but it will be just to hook up the house and take it home.

I think I would have done alright tonight but things kept happening. My battery was almost dead and I didn't bring another one so I was trying to basically fish in the dark. When the Crappies finally started to bite I caught 2 right away and then I started tangling lines and stuff because of the dark. I caught about 4 or 5 but I let them all go back. I went home early, about 7:00. Just too dark to see anything and I was getting frustrated.

Dave - The house you are next to is indeed my house. We will have to hook up some time ou there. My house will probably be getting moved away from the crowds as soon as i have time and the ice allows. Which house is yours? Direction from my house?

Dave, Wish I woulda saw you were out last night I woulda stopped by and said hi. My son is not into Ice fishing this year, so I'm usually out alone. Only caught 4 crappies last night, this morning I marked alot of fish, but they were too light of biters. Then My wife called and guilted me to come home early.

Yeah it was kinda slow last night for some reason. A lot of lookers but not many biters. Managed 6 crappies from 10.5-13".

Yeah it was kinda slow last night for some reason. A lot of lookers but not many biters. Managed 6 crappies from 10.5-13".

Wow, that's some nice size!

I was out tonight for a few hours. Action was pretty slow. Brought home a couple perch, four sunnies and a crappie. 2 sunnies were about 8", one was almost 9" and the crappie was just shy of 10"

Just looked at the DNR report for this lake and they show an abundance of Freshwater Drum fish, has anyone ever caught one? I've never heard of this fish. I plan to go out on Sunday and give this lake a try...for crappie and walleye...not Freshwater Drum, but just curious about them. Cheers!

Yeah I have had a couple duals with the drum or what I call sheepshead. They fight really hard and long just like a walleye they like to stay near the bottom and like to chase spinners and lindy rigs. Thats what i have caught them on. Crappies are bitting mostly all over the lake and not bad size but walleye for me has been tough hit cemetrary, keggs, anderson and nelson with just one little one hear and there. Now trying to find some nice sunnies for some day fishing. We catch them in the summer but havent found the concentration in the winter. Could the big bulls scatter during the winter? Good luck Sunday.

Minnetonka man, where are the crappies all over the lake? I have see a couple of small ones on the camera but other than that just alot of small sunnies and perch. out on center now but have been on andersons, reds, and north of north. Dont seem to be in the deep holes yet either. Any direction would be appreciated. contact info is in signature.

Just looked at the DNR report for this lake and they show an abundance of Freshwater Drum fish, has anyone ever caught one? I've never heard of this fish. I plan to go out on Sunday and give this lake a try...for crappie and walleye...not Freshwater Drum, but just curious about them. Cheers!

yeah waconia has alot...they bite better in the spring/summer months and are very fun to catch. The aren't good for anything IMO, but have some interesting rocks in their heads... if you catch one crack 'em open and take a look(if you don't mind a slight mess)

yeah the drums i believe are known as "sheephead" in most places. We caught alot of em out in western MN where i grew up and if you do crack open the head you will find 2 calcium deposits that are very hard and the fish actually will grind em together and make a noise with them. kinda odd.

Yeah they’re a blast to catch. Fight better than the walleyes do (Daughters favorite fish to catch lol). We were catching about 3 sheep head (Drums) to every eye caught. That lake is loaded with them. Never caught one on hard water though. Anyone ever fish Kegs through the ice? Seems like the weeds and fish disappeared around late September.

hey guys, thinking of hitting waconia for the first time this season this afternoon/evening, just wondering what the traffic is like out in the pilsbury/center reef area or east end of the lake. also how much ice is out there? thanks